Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Wally Parks Remembered

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Nicely done. Wally had a gift to have the vision as to how a hobby could turn into such a large empire >>>>.

3. It's amazing to realize it's been a year already. I had lunch with Wally and others at the NHRA museum 2 weeks before his passing. HE was still sharp as a tack. It was quite a treat to have that opportunity and just listen and learn from arguably the most important person the sport of Drag Racing has ever known.
    Godspeed

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Team Teixeira in 1972 with the "King of Hot Rodding" Mr. Wally Parks.

[​IMG]

5. Hard to believe that it has been a year already.

I still think that we are continuing his work and legacy, especially Ryan, everyday. We keep alive his memory and what he worked so hard to accomplish by writing the articles studying the history and building cars. We just have to keep at it and never forget men like Wally and how they helped to perpetuate what we love.

6. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

So you call Wally He bitches you out and 10 days latter he dies ! Dude you killed Wally Parks ! Ah I'm just fuckin' ya . He sure did do alot of cool stuff while he was here. Peace.

7. ironbuyer

ironbuyer

I hear what you are saying Ryan. I was very close and raced with John Shoemaker for several years. He was and will always will be a tremendous friend and mentor to me. He also was the guy that would tell you the truth no matter what it was. You always knew where you stood with him. Something about those guys that pioneered hot rodding and drag racing were no bullshit people. It is something that seems to be missing these days. I have to deal with it all to soon with the Reunion in Bako coming up and thought that I would add to your post. I think about him everyday. I would have possibly not had the chance to know John if it was not for Wally Parks and NHRA. Thanks
    Steve Glucoft
    Amocat Speed Emporium

8. I only got to meet him once, at the first reunion in Bakersfield. He was so polite and genuine. He probably influenced me more than anyone on the planet, even my Dad.

9. zellerware

zellerware
    from dad's shop

My father knew Garlits and the "Snake" back in the early 70's and they never seemed to be too fond of Wally and I'm not sure why..

He has always seemed to be nice and really got the sport inthe right direction..

10. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I've posted this pic before, but still one of the best nights of my hot rodding life...

This was about 2 years before his wife died, and he was in a great mood that night. He and Alex were both with their ladies and we talked for a good long while. True gentlemen of our world, and they were really refreshed to talk to someone under 40 with a real knowledge of hot rod history. That's why he liked you too Ryan!

[​IMG]

11. I never had the chance to meet Wally Parks but I always looked up to him for his part in making the general public stand up and take notice that the hot rod was here to stay,,,,thanks Wally,,HRP

12. dutched32

dutched32

Hats off to you Wally looking down on all of us you have inspired and paved major ways for!
    Tom
    dutched32

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There are only a small hand full of guys in this hobby that I can say I would have liked to have met. He's one of them. I learned about him through reaading Hot Rod magazine and catching a story or two about him. He was a true man of vision and I think no matter what he would have gotten involved in, it would have been a success. The man could see beyond the turn in the road.

14. Lucky77

Lucky77

In my opinion Wally's 29 is the quintisential model A hot rod. I stare at it then I go out to work on my 30 and I just get bummed because I know it will never be that cool:eek: Ryan you've got an impressive list of people who are your friends, and that says a lot about you. I know the best friends I've made have been through cars and the HAMB in specific. You're a lucky guy and for that matter so are all of us.

15. mtlcutter

mtlcutter

Wally is the man. So much of this that we have would have been so much different if it hadn't been for a great pioneer like Wally.

16. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Great topic. Thanks for the film links.

17. autobilly

autobilly

Thanks Ryan, very interesting to see and hear Wally speak. Unfortunately for me, being in Australia, Wally Parks has only been an inspirational guy in my books.
    Kool story and photo Jive-Bomber, a night like that for me is an impossible dream.
    You guys that live in So-Cal and know all these hot rod and kustom "Fathers" should cherish the opportunity. For most of us foreign Kats, we'll never get the chance and time is running out.

18. 53chevy

53chevy

Never knew how instrumental Mr. Wally Parks was. His vision and the good folks that were with him in the beginning and down the road. That interview on AHRF speaks volume in my mind. Thanks Wally!

Ken