Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hokey Ass Art Show.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That's dedication; getting the neighbors involved in pics of your pants.
    I wish I could get women to pose in front of cars, without seemingly looking like a perv.

2. cixpack

cixpack

Allison... Thank you for that extended contribution ! Your work is incredible sir .

3. I apologize for re-posting this pic.
    This is something I'm thinking of building. Just a brief discription:
    It's a '60 Lark hardtop. The rear quarters would be modified '58 edsel with the bottom portion off a lark wgn. The front grill is angled out and a filler panel on the bottom. The front bumper off a '66 Stude Daytona. Also, some kind of rocker panel modification from a '57 Pontiac Chieftain or something like it. Lot of scrounging to build this.

4. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Come on boys and gals there's got to be more!

5. Mattbee

Mattbee

Here is my Jukebox that I restored. Took me awhile.

What it looked like when I got it!
    [​IMG]

What it looks like now!

[​IMG]

6. realkustom51

realkustom51

My brother and I say thanks for the compliments by offering up one more shop floor scrap.

[​IMG]

This was on the back of the scrap.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  7. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

wow. GREAT show this week!

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Kicking dirt and swapp'in Paint with the Georgia Peaches.....

Color soon.....

[​IMG]

9. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

Great stuff guys! ......Unfortunately, here's where I become a jerk to a few posters. In my opinion, the computer is a great tool to create or enhance ones own artwork. I do NOT consider taking a photograph, pushing a few buttons or sliding a few sliders in a Photoshop filter, to be artwork. Especially if you didn't even take the photo. I know I'll get a lot of heat for this, but it's my opinion as an artist.

10. No heat with the truth spoken Del. Thank you!
    Dig' that CustomCory/ Norwell tail wag! Whoo!

Here's a 'Vette- agin. I put the coves on backward. Doh! (Where is Jigger)?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  11. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Del.....brother.....no heat here....needed to be said! With that being said, Norwell, LOWCAB, Krayola, Spoggie, Schwager, Tmoore, GaryC, Cixpack, Allison, A32Flathead, HotRodJen, Buick59....Brilliant work.

12. ALLISON

ALLISON

Del.. Normally I would totally agree with what your thinking.. and, knowing the rotten deal your going through with that stolen art deal I totally understand.. But, consider this. Sure there ends up being a certain amount of art posted here that is maybe not as original as others. And yes, usually that is something done digitally, and usually based on someone elses photo.. But, as far as I have noticed, none of that art is being done on a professional level. meaning, this is stuff guys are doing on their spare time just for the love of hot rod art... and that, I can totally respect.... Never will you hear me smack talk the person experimenting with images just for the love of art, because thats really what its about.. and every artist, even the best.. gets their inspiration from somewhere, even if its less obvious than others... dont get me wrong though... a person that runs an image through a filter and presents themselves as an artist to boast about what they can do?, Ill samck talk that guy every time:).... I might have missed something posted this week that has you worked up, but as far as I could see there are a lot of great professional artists posting what they do, and a lot hobby artists posting the best they can do:) ... any of you guys out there doing the digital stuff, consider it a learning tool on how to lay down the colors and composition.. and if youve gotten decent at doing it digitally, try it a few times with some paint or pens, or even crayons...
    In the mean time... here is something far more digital than my normal work.. its the main page of my new web site www.jeffallisondesign.com .... I started this by first designing the car itself, i call it the AsymetricA... Then I worked up a full color rendering of it with AD marker pens and prismacolor pencils.. scanned it, and worked it some more in photoshop.. drew up the lady, worked her in the same fashion and added her in.. the rest is easy to figure out its digital... So, my point is that digital HAS its place in the art world for the professional as much as the beginer....
    great art show everyone... I'll try to be more regular than ive been... beings its summer, shows, I moved, ect... just slips my mind to get on here every friday... but I love seeing what everyone is doing.... keep it up:)

[​IMG]

13. Diplomatically put Jeff.
    Del, you're absolutely right when it comes to the raw deal you found yourself on the other side of. A thief is a thief is a thief just as a tiger is a tiger...
    I encourage the amateurs to experiment and add their contributions but give due respect and credit to the artists whose work inspired or contributed to your work and keep creating!

Nothing new for me, too busy, but soon, I will have something. In the mean time, I can't
    seem to find the posts nor the magazine featuring this Chevy modified. I'd like to request that someone looking in on the art show who does know the owner/builder please PM me. I would like to try to contact them personally otherwise I'm as guilty of what Del makes mention of as the next guy. Need to give credit where credit is due and request user approval... (some may recall I created this for a H.A.M.B. art challenge.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here's a micro doodle...

[​IMG]

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

With todays cameras there is no post process editing like there was. So instead of being in a dark room there is the photo editing software. There's definitely a difference between someone that can throw some actions at a photo and someone that's taken then time to learn the "craft" of photo editing. It's kinda where we are now and while classic mediums will always be most respected it's now coming to an age where digital artists are gaining more and more respect. Just like with anything from music, photography, painting or whatnot, it take discipline, practice, style and restraint to be respected.

15. Agreed......A few months ago, I suggested that the next Art Challenge might be a one-time return to a project limited to pencil to see what we really had to work with here. I too see a place for everything, but I'd like to see a return to some basic drawing skills now and then. Well said Del.....Centurion9

16. kus1om

kus1om
    from australia

A little sketch waiting for a slow computer!

Attached Files:

17. ....my drawing skills are way less than behind a shutter.
    Here is a simple pic I took recently, it is what it is.......
    [​IMG]

18. Thanks ToddJ. Lookin' fwd to your posts.
    Hey Jeff Allison, cool stuff-

Hey folks- how about an Assymetrical F.A.S Challenge.
    Let's say last Fri in September. If it's cool with the Boss, COME ONE, COME ALL.

:p;

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  19. metalhotrodgirl

metalhotrodgirl

what would a assymetrical challenge by as in medium usage

20. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Great art this week guys (and gals!)

Love it!

21. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

I am no pro photographer like Mike Harrington. Not even close. I just try and represent what this site is all about. And having a venue like the FAS is a great way to show my photographs. Are they artistic? I dont know. I dont care. But I work hard at it and give it my best shot. No filters. No photoshop. I even use film sometimes. I hope you guys and gals like what I do. I love ALL the art you all share. Take care. Be safe.
    Slim

22. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Slim, I always dig your photos. Very well thought out, great subject matter and cool compositions.

23. Ummmm....yeah .....what he said.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.