Register now to get rid of these ads!

Headlight difference & preference: 32 vs. 33/34?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Rails, May 2, 2006.

1. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Hi guys.

Are 1932 Ford headlights the same diameter as the 1933 and 1934 headlights?
    Will the later lights fit the stock 32 mounts? (Is that a 9/16" hole?)

The '32 lights are flatter, while the later lights have a deeper dish, right? Do the later lights look good on a 32 highboy?

Thanks,

Matt

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Check out a pair of 33-34 Commercial headlights. Painted buckets and a much narrower stainless rim, same diameter ar '32 I believe. :)

Roothawg likes this.
  3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

1933 and 1934 Headlight also differ ...
    The 34's are longer than the 33's

Sometimes you can buy stock 32 Stainless Steel headlights that have a few dents and scapes for cheap money ... and repair the buckets and then paint the buckets ... to get the commercial headlight " look " for less dough ...

4. alchemy

alchemy

I think the 33's are longer. They are definitely more bulbous. Less of a point at the back end, and look more like half a watermelon than half a football.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And the commercials are the shallowest of all, with a curve chosen to barely clear the reflector. The diameter difference between '32 and '33-4 is quite considerable. All the '33-4 ones use same ring and lens, I believe. If switching to '33-4 passenger, don't spend any money until you are sure they will clear your grill shell--I'm not at all sure they will.
    Another interesting shape choice is '36 rim and lens on a truck shell--this produces a nearly spherical light!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

I'm using 33-34 Ford commercial lights on my '32 tudor and they clear the stock grill just fine. I like the looks of the painted buckets and the shape better than the stock '32 lights.

7. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

Biased opinion here, but 33-34 commercial lights down low and slightly forward of the grille give a sinister look, but again, it depends on the era you are shooting for. We were shooting for late 60's, early 70's hot rod, big Cad motor, mag-style wheels, big-n-little radials (gasp!), and louvers.

-Ryan

Attached Files:

Hotrodmyk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    32 commercials for comparison.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. 2-TONED

2-TONED

32 car & 32-34 commerical take the same size lense they are held on different but will work. & i believe 33-34 lense is also the same ( im not home so i dont have any in front of me here) seems like maybe a different clip when mounting them? cant remember? alzheimers.

10. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I got 28-29 model a lights on my 32 and i used a set on my 34 i had. I love em and the look but thats just me. I got to more sets of buckets i got on egay while they were cheap. Heres a link if ya wanna look at it.
    http://home.comcast.net/~n8dc-8/hotrod0.html
    Dave

11. Charles Higgins

Charles Higgins

I’ve been told the commercials are 9 1/2 diameter. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Deuce replacement headlight lens measure 9 1/4", the 33/34 replacement lens Speedway sells for that application are 9". HRP

pprather likes this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

14 year old thread dug up by the FNG. But the info is still good.

14. lake_harley

lake_harley

Since someone went to the trouble of un-earthing this old thread, I'll toss in my question. I'm working on the headlights for my '30 Model A. In many areas it has turned out to be a disappointing cobbled together mess of a car and the headlights seem to want to join in the confusion. I'm wondering if the headlights are possibly '33/'34 pickup units? The diameter is about 9" and the buckets themselves are painted, which I think suggests pickup and possibly later than Model A. The other odd thing is that the wires come out of the mounting stud and the stud is about 5/8". The only headlights in the general range of years that have the wiring coming through the stud appear to be the pickup/commercial units. All the photos I've found of '30/'31 Model A headlights have the wiring coming out a separate hole slightly behind the mount stud.

I'm OK with what I have, since I think the painted bucket will look nice, but to convert to 12V halogen bulbs (providing that's felt to be a good idea) do I have to know 100% what the headlights are from, or will halogen Model A reflectors work if the buckets are perhaps later and possibly pickup units? I'm still debating if I want to incorporate the two-bulb version reflectors to incorporate turn signals, or perhaps put a amber bulb in the cowl lights (if there's one made in the correct size) and use them as turn signals.

I can get photos tomorrow but curiosity is the death of me so I wanted to throw out the question this evening.

Thanks.

Lynn

15. Bob Drake sells a series of halogen reflectors that are redesigned to give much better light than the traditional cone shaped reflector. They are sold by the outside diameter to match your headlight buckets. Not inexpensive, but they are worth it.
    What is the diameter of your current reflector?

16. lake_harley

lake_harley

This is a follow up with photos to my previous post #14 above. If you look at the photos here is what you'll see, although in possibly a different order:

Reflector diameter at the very outer edge is 8 3/4"
    Overall diameter of the ring that holds the lens is 9 1/2"
    Depth of the reflector is 2 1/2"
    Depth of the headlight bucket is 4 1/2"

Additionally, the bucket is painted, not stainless or chromed, and the mount stud is 5/8" diameter. The mount stud is hollow for the wires to exit the bucket, rather than there being another hole for the wires to exit.

I think I've ruled out there even being a chance that they are Model A headlights. I talked with Eric (?) at Mike's A-Fordable A Parts today who pulled a Model A reflector from inventory to measure it. I forget exactly what he said it measured, but I'm almost positive he said the Model A reflector had a overall diameter of 8 1/4".

At this point I'm thinking these might be '33 or '34 pickup/commercial headlights. I kinda like the painted bucket for my car and if I can find new reflectors, since the one I have apart is quite tarnished, I'd like to use them on my in-process fendered '31 Coupe. So...if anyone can help me with a positive identification I'd be really appreciative!

Let me know if I'm lacking any info to help with the ID. Also, thoughts on sticking with incadescent bulbs vs converting to Halogen will be appreciated.

Lynn

20201104_133256.jpg 20201104_133331.jpg 20201104_133355.jpg 20201104_133442.jpg 20201104_133653.jpg

17. continentaljohn likes this.
  18. alchemy

alchemy

Yes Lynn, those are 33/34 pickup lights. Make sure they are solid before buying more parts for them. They rust around the swivel mount a lot. Grind off the rivets, remove the swivel, and blast the buckets to check. I went through a couple pair and found they were all rusted out. By the time I spent many hours repairing, and then buying new glass, reflectors, and misc parts I would be better off buying new.

You can buy the whole lights in repro for about $250.

continentaljohn likes this.
  19. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

The 33-34 commercial headlights are great looking as well as the later 1935 to 1939-8. What trouble are you having with your lights

20. lake_harley

lake_harley

Thanks, alchemy! I'll disassemble and inspect before going any further with them.

continentialjohn....Not really having "trouble" with them other than finding the correct parts to use them. I'm using them on a Model A coupe that's in process. Reflectors are badly worn/tarnished. I've talked with several suppliers and haven't really nailed down what I have and/or need, but alchemy just confirmed what I believed the headlights to be and offered suggestions that I'll follow.

21. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@lake_harley cool and @pprather is the master in rebuilding them lights and the reflectors from drake are good. I am old school and just use a bit of Flitz metal polish and get that old silver bright again :D.

22. If you decide your lights need to be replaced, I have a pair of Drake 33/34 commercial lights with the new style halogen reflector and inside turn signals.
    They are available for sale.

23. ken_r_mer

ken_r_mer

In a 2020 message you mentioned you have 33-34 Ford truck headlights for sale. By any chance are they still available?

24. @ken_r_mer ,Sorry, they were sold after offered above.