Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1950 Chevy Styleline DeLuxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LeftCoastErik, May 7, 2011.

1. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

I picked up this 50 about 7 weeks ago. Sold my racecar so I had some discretionary funds to play with. The initial intention was that it would be a driver from day one. Things went kind of nuts from there.

I decided to go through the brakes..fixed one wheel cylinder, then another went out, then the master crapped out..I had had it. Decided to tear it all apart and build it up as a sweet driver.

I'll post up some pics of the progress, I am going to try to get her on the road again in a couple of weeks.

2. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Here are some pics from the previous owner

Attached Files:

3. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

Sweet !!!! Love the colors. Is that still a 216? Very nice.

4. 3onthetree

3onthetree

Man, that thing looks like it's already in great shape. I wish mine was half that nice.

5. Beautiful Erik! How about some nice Big Side Shots and Front/Rear 3/4 views of it? I'm going to love this build.....Watching others.....Centurion9

6. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Step One DISASSEMBLE JOHNNY 5

We ripped all the front sheetmetal, the engine, trans, closed driveline, rear springs, etc. out of the car.

Attached Files:

7. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Thanks! Here is a good side shot

Attached Files:

8. Love these!

My vote for paint :)

[​IMG]

9. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

More Disassembly

Attached Files:

10. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Damn son, that is some paint. I won't be going that route, although my Painter buddy would love to do that...This build will be more on the subtle side.

11. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Went with Fatman for the front IFS and got it from Alliance Vendor Gambino Customs. Alex is awesome to deal with and has great pricing too.

Walton Fabrication sent me out the rear spring kit to run the S10 4x4 rear end (3.42 LSD)

For the trans, I went with an S10 2wd, 5-speed. HotRodWorks sent me out the trans adapter and mount setup.

Attached Files:

12. Haaha, understood. These are cool right out of the box, so you got a good start. Keep us posted on progress!

13. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

I also found an apparently discontinued Hurst shifter for the trans on ebay. Works great, can't wait to actually drive it.

14. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

My friend Danny is an amazing welder, so I coaxed him into helping me do the Fatman kit. He welds for the local refineries and wineries and his skill is badass.

Attached Files:

15. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Decided to run the stock steelies, painted in HOK Sunset Orange with some ribbed rings and spiders from HubCapMike. They were beautiful out of the booth, and got even better with the Cokers installed.

Attached Files:

16. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

The old girl already had a rebuilt 235 from a '60 chevy installed, so I went with that. Added a big cam from Patricks, an Offy side cover and manifold, twin carter/webers from Langdons and a Langdon's HEI. I really want turnkey reliability so I can drive this sucker daily...or most of the time anyway.

Attached Files:

17. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

My car had been converted (sort of) to 12v. There was a ton of stock wiring still in the car, with insulation coming off everywhere. It had a 1.8 amp draw that I literally couldn't find. SOOO, I decided to rip it all out and start over with a Painless kit. I guess I am a glutton for punishment.:confused:

Attached Files:

18. Looking good!!

19. rtomss

rtomss

ditto......looks like your making all the right choices

20. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Thanks guys! My wife is still trying to figure out why I have to go work on my "Driver" which has never even been to the house yet!

Good news is that the interior is fresh and nice, and the body has zero rust in the usual places. Does have a poorly repaired dent in the drivers door, but I'll get to that and shaving everything as soon as its roadworthy again.

21. 3onthetree

3onthetree

Sweeeet!

Your buddy can lay down some beautiful welds.

You'll like those carbs, they're the 32/36mm right? I have 3 38mm Outlaws on my 6. They're a different animal to tune though. They have air jets as well as fuel jets.

Keep us updated.

22. gsport

gsport

look'n real good..... i love seeing other 50's rebuilds
    i'm doing a 350/350 swap to mine right now

23. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

They are the 32/36's from Langdons. I am stoked to get this thing running again

24. poorboy

poorboy

looking good!

25. cederholm

cederholm

Looks great! Love those wheels!

26. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Thanks man. I get a little excited every time I open the door to the shop and see those wheels..Thats why I leave them on. I decided to build the car around those wheels!

27. jandk

jandk

Looking Good! Bring it on down the West Coast Kustoms @ the end of the month.

28. gwarren007

gwarren007

29. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Dayum...looking sweet.

Got mine on the road awhile back...for some reason I like seeing others' 50 Deluxes, but not mine XP Hence why I threw it up in the classifieds. Who knows, maybe I'll regret it someday.

30. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Made some progress today. Got the fuel lines made, Dizzy and wires on, set valve lash, got the rad and support back in, mounted my battery in the trunk and got the wires run. Loomed out the wires for the starter, alternator and electric choke. And I'll me damned if it didn't fire off and sound sweet.

Now I need to get the cooling hoses done, and get some air cleaners on that sucker. Fill the diff and trans and do some smokey burnouts!:D

Last edited: May 14, 2011