Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead generator & voltage regulator question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3blapcam, Oct 6, 2012.

1. 3blapcam

3blapcam

I did a fair amount of research & didn't see this covered. Can I use a 4 post regulator with my generator, or do I have to use a stock style 3 post? My set up is a 12V positive ground 8ba that I'm wiring up now.

Thanks...

3blap.

2. flathead4d

flathead4d

Check out the shoeboxford.com web site for more information on that upgrade.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I always use a 56 Ford regulator and wire it as a negative ground system. (never saw a 12V positive ground system) Don't over complicate it. Forget about positive ground and just wire it like a negative ground 56 Ford using parts intended for a 56 Ford. Not parts for Imperials or Impalas....56 Fords.

Don't get intimidated just think 56 Ford. It will work and charge like a bitch if you make believe that you are working on a 56 Ford when you look it up in a book. It will need to be polarized like a 56 Ford which is different from how you polarize a GM car. Look it up.

4. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Wow... that was a major brain fart. I meant Negative Ground, not positive ground.

So I guess '56 Ford was the first year of 12V then? And, it sounds like you recommend going with the typical 3 post VR and stay away from the later 4 post?

3blap.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Yes VRs and their wiring need to match the generator that it was built for. 56-64 Ford will work just fine with Ford generators no matter what they are bolted to.

[​IMG]
    This is my crude wiring diagram that works for me.

6. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Ha! Tommy... Thanks for the diagram... I saw some of your previous posting activity & one of your posts had the exact same vintage pic that I was looking at in a '67 auto book on generator diagrams! It sounds like I just need to get a different VR & I'll be on my way!

3blap.

7. 3blapcam

3blapcam

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If its a flathead Ford, this may help.