Register now to get rid of these ads!

Plymouth Hubcaps for the 57-59 Fury?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C.W., Jun 5, 2010.

1. C.W.

C.W.

Saw the movie Christine-like who didn't?--and wondered about the hubcaps. I've noticed in the past that Fury hubcaps like that ones on that car they dug out of the ground last year were a smooth design that came up to a mild peak or point. Were these caps for a 15" inch rim and could they be adapted to a chevy rim? Who would be the best source for scoring a set of these?

2. if you put those hubcaps on a chevy WATCHOUT!:eek::rolleyes:

3. jb2wheeler

jb2wheeler

I used to run them on my 54 Ford, back in the day and loved them. I know where one is, I lost it in deep woods while racing thru Irquois Park back around 1963. JB

4. 4-pot

4-pot

The 57-58 plymouths were 14 inch wheels.

5. We called them "cones" back in the day. They were popular and used on ALL makes by car guys looking for a nice clean look. I had them on my 64 Olds Jetstar 1. Mag wheels killed off them and moon discs too.

6. Squablow

Squablow

The pointy ones were '57 only, and they were 14 inch. They use the regular grippy things on the back, so they'll fit mostly any 14" wheel, unlike the Chevy caps of the period which needed to go on a Chevy wheel with the nubs on it and so on.

7. Flamingo_57

Flamingo_57
    BANNED
    from Rolla mo.

The smooth cones were '57 only, '58 cones had "dimples" stamped into them, '59 cones had "spears". They will fit a standard 14" chevy wheel as long as it's not one of the "shallow" disc brake wheels.

8. My 59 now runs aftermarket Lancers but i still have the originals.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The OEMs were 14". 57 was the first year 14" rims became the standard.

But there were 15" copies made almost right away. 57 Plymouth hub caps were very popular on mild street customs. The repros came in 14" and 15". They are out there.

10. They were real cool in the day. I still have a set I used on the 14" wheels on my '62 Savoy back in the '60's. The Savoy is long gone but the hubcaps/wheelcovers are still in my garage looking good. The original '57's had a pattern of black squares around the outer edge of the cap which the repops didn't have.

11. Flamingo_57

Flamingo_57
    BANNED
    from Rolla mo.

Thats hella kool. I didn't know they were ever repopped. Were they stainless or chi-com chrome?

12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Haven't found an aftermarket cap from the '50s or '60s that isn't rusty if it's been on a car. They were cheap because they were light gauge steel with minimum effort given to plating.

13. Bingo, still true today.