Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 ford 2 door question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ImpalaBob60, Jun 25, 2013.

1. ImpalaBob60

ImpalaBob60
    from Havana, IL

I have the opportunity to buy 2 54 Ford's, both are 2door cars.

One car is rusty, but complete and has a title.
    The other is solid, no drive Tran, and no title.

Is this a waste of time?
    Any ideas?:confused:

2. Anyone that owns a '54 Ford will tell you they are great cars,the 52-54 Fords were overlooked for many years but in the past few years they have started coming into their own.

I say go for it! HRP

3. LostHope

LostHope

Id buy them if the price was right....hopefully one of them will have a decent front crossmember since thats one of the main issues with them being rusted out, and if you cant repair or find a good used replacement or build your own, youll be forking out $300-$500 a crossmember on ebay or from a supplier

4. the hood hinges apparently like to break and are tough to find. I had a 2 door 54 customline for about a year. i enjoyed it.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, if price is good and you can afford it buy 'em. if you do I am looking for parts.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Only if you don't have a passion for the 54 Ford. This project will take some time to complete and your enthusiasm may (and probably will) wane and then you have two albatrosses around your neck.

If this is your first restoration, I say leave them for more experienced restorers. It's hard enough to restore a nice complete car. It ain't easy to build a car from pieces.

If it's a monetary decision, save more money or you will probably end up losing most of what you have now. I have restored a few basket cases and it ain't easy. Most came from people with unrealistic expectations that gave up before it was done.

7. 4oldfords

4oldfords
    from Texas

yes - you should buy them today - it is only time and money - DO IT

8. HtRdLcn likes this.
  9. outlaw256

outlaw256

tommy is right. listen to him. now if ya do get them, get ready for some work. let me change that get ready for a LOT of work. if you have the skills and you complete this you will be on cloud nine.i have my 53 wagon and I wouldn't trade it for anything.not even a steel willys and I love them cars!!!and if you can buy some extra hood hinges. they are weak.ive gone thru a few on mine..and door hinges also...lol ah hell just keep a parts car handy.....lol

10. Its only worth it if you want it. Its not a waste of time if this is what you want. These fords are great and sounds like a great project. I say go for it.

11. ImpalaBob60

ImpalaBob60
    from Havana, IL

thanks for the input....
    I was hoping to get over and look them over better today, but the owner had to work late.

I actually went last week to look at his 54 Plymouth 2 door. While I did like it, it was more than I wanted to get into....

While we were talking about the Plymouth, he mentioned that he had these 2 '54's... I knew he had them, but I thought they were more doors... I've got a more door. I want 2 door this time.

So, I'm wanting to look them over and then decide.
    My wife says wait, but then 20 minutes later she wants to know when am I going over.
    So, hopefully tomorrow.

12. 54sled

54sled

I say go for it,make a good one out of the two!

13. ImpalaBob60

ImpalaBob60
    from Havana, IL

:D thinkin' the same thing...

14. riskybiz

riskybiz

Go for it, if both are complete you can sell off the extra part from parts car.
    I am partial to 54 Fords

Attached Files:

15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

O.K., '54 Ford. Tudor? (or two door?: Short top or long? I'm partial to coupes...that would be the triangular quarter window)

IF you can weld... The front cross member can be fabricated from a piece of 1-3/4" tubing. (roll bar type, NOT thinwall)
    Muffler shop with hydraulic bender + thickwall tube= great front cross member. Just weld in spuds for the lower control arm bolts.

I found the BMW type front hood hinge kit for F100 works GREAT in '54s. (I've had 11 of 'em)
    '54 Fords are NOT '52s or '53s. '54s are modern tube-cross membered Y-Block and F-E friendly Ford Prototypes. (not '56s, but same-same underneath)

These cars are potential Tri-5 Chevy Eaters.
    Ford stuff fits nicely. I like the F-E stuff... Big H.P. for clever low $$.

Adam 12 # 100. Watch Reed do 112 in a white '54 Ford Tudor. Much to Crosby Jr's dismay.

17. If you make the decision to become a '54 Ford owner check out the '54 Ford Club of America site also..Original and hot rods are welcome.

http://www.1954ford.com/

I like them too. HRP

[​IMG]

HtRdLcn likes this.
  18. Quote: "So, I'm wanting to look them over and then decide.
    My wife says wait, but then 20 minutes later she wants to know when am I going over.
    So, hopefully tomorrow." <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Sounds like your wife knows ya pretty well. My wife knows when I'm going on a weekend roadtrip about 2 days before I do. Your Chev. makes me think you know what you're getting into. '54's are great looking cars...had a conv. when I was 15..too young to drive it. Great examples posted above by the members.

19. George/Maine

George/Maine

Go for it.
    I just bought this one and drove it for first time yesterday.
    It goes good even with a 223 6 cylinder and has over drive.
    [​IMG]

20. HtRdLcn

HtRdLcn

Get 'em. Plus, Concourse Parts sells every part you'll ever need for them. Trust me.

21. That's a stretch,,trust me! HRP

22. ImpalaBob60

ImpalaBob60
    from Havana, IL

didn't get to go tonight, fingers crossed for tomorrow or Sat.

23. 39 Ford

39 Ford

My first road car was a 54 customline 2 door 6 stick. The car was a hand me down from my mother who bought it new. It was totaled by an asshole who hit in the back and drove it into a car in front. He then fled the scene. By then it had a 331 hemi in it and ran a bit faster for sure.

Go for it make a running driveable car out of it save the big buck stuff for later