Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Standing Room Only" Chevy Gasser. Still Around?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1970malibu, Sep 18, 2011.

1. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

2. Skirv

Skirv

You might want to change your thread title to include the term "altered". That car is not a gasser. I don't know if it's still around or not. I've seen the photo you posted before and that's the only picture I've ever seen of it.

3. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Either way it's stupid cool!

4. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I don't know what it is...I don't think it's a gasser or altered. It doesn't even have an engine (?).
    My opionion, I think it looks ugly. If it is still around I am sure it does not look like that.

5. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Looks like the engine is set midship and low you can see the zoomies right at the ladder bar pivot point the link says 57 Ford!

6. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

And what about those two little guys sittin on the front fender :D

7. norms30a

norms30a

I wonder if that was a wheelie car doing giant wheelies for show.

8. Larry T

Larry T

Without any kind of panhard or locating bar on the front and springs that basically tie in straight up, I wonder what would happen if you tried cornering at say 15 MPH or got really sideways on a pass.
    Larry T

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  9. milo1303s

milo1303s

10. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

That would explain it. It must be have been a wheelstand show car.

11. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Gasser - no
    Cool - no
    Stupid - hell yes

Scotty.

12. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

That would also explain the name Standing Room Only.

13. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Anyone else notice that it says "57 Ford" in the photo jpeg title?

Not a fan of this car although it is interesting. I would like to see a closer look at whatever is happening at the front axle area for suspension...

14. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

Yeah I notice it said "57 Ford" in the jpeg title but I was trying to just post the photo and not the link but I couldn't get just the photo to post. And I wasn't really sure what it was so I just put gasser. Whatever it is I still think it's pretty cool. Not something you see everyday and definitely not something someone else has.

15. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

That front end has leafs. What you see is the left leaf up front and the right to the back. Or at least thats what I see

16. Muttley

Muttley

That thing is uglier than a mud rail fence.

17. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Judging by its Sketchball-Stevens construction and edgy look, it's doubtful the car survived the era. But maybe, just maybe it's out there somewhere.

18. Deuces

Deuces

What a waste!! :eek:

19. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

The first 57 Chevy Rat Rod??

20. Saxxon

Saxxon

Copy of Standing Room Only.jpg This is a Winnipeg car or at the very least a car built and raced at Bison dragway back in the 60's. The picture below hung in the old Softy's Speed Shop for years. Brian Sr who ran the shop said it showed up and ran occassionally for a few years then disappeared. Other than a few rumors, he has no idea what happened to it. He did say a lot of tracks were way to spooked and wouldn't let it run. Even back in the crazy 60's... that's saying something. But then again... looking at the rear spring mounts, maybe not. It also showed up at the first car show at the Winnipeg arena. The stories have it, that the car was driven in and driven out. The pictures show it to have a beautiful blue paint job and really cool lettering. (Paul S... do you still have the car show pics???). Brian Sr remembers to have been well finshed and well crafted. Just insane...

This thing had an injected 327 set back about 6 feet and a 4 speed. The car was center steer and the driver's head actually leaned against the slope of the roof line at the back. There was no firewall per say (Which might have contributed to the "Not safe" designation) this was to let the driver see where he was going through the frame rails. This freak had a 200 lb steel plate mounted at the rear. It double as floor boards for the trunk and shot sparks when scraped on the track. This was years before the wheel standers put titanium plates on the bars.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    Tickety Boo and VANDENPLAS like this.
  21. Canuck

Canuck

Built by a car club here in Winnipeg as a Wheelstanding show car running at the old Keystone drag strip. Front wheel centre line moved forward, rear moved forward a lot, lots of weight in the trunk and engine moved back. Did great wheelstands for the length of the track although the speed was not that high.

Worked on the car over 35 years age for the second owner. He wanted to turn it into a race car. We worked out a plan of action for him. Relocated the rear axle and were preparing to remove weight from trunk and get it a little closer to the ground when he pulled car from our shop. Took it to the track and promptly did a ONE wheel wheelstand and was banned from the track for obvious reasons. Engine was removed and put into a Anglia. Don't know what happened to the car after that.

I think the two little guys sitting on the fender are a couple of spectators up for the drags from the US. A lot of the guys use to come up for the racing and the beer.

Canuck

22. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

Saxxon and Canuck thanks for the pic and all the info! Hopefully it's still out there somewhere. And the pic I posted was from a website of all keystone drag strip pics.

23. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See, now that makes it a cool old exhibition car.

24. It's a gasser "DONK".

25. Here it tis on all fours.

upload_2021-8-13_14-59-50.png

26. Deuces

Deuces

Ugliest '57 Chevy I ever laid eyes on... :confused:o_O

uncleandy 65 likes this.
  27. That thing is completely ridiculous!!!!!!!!

I wanna see more of it !!!

28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I can see why a lot of tracks wouldn't allow it to run! What a scary looking build!

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not just a 57 Chevy either but a 150 2 door sedan.
    Yeh, that's a travesty!

Deuces likes this.
  30. Now that's something I would restore. One of the best 57's I've seen in awhile. Function over form.

TA DAD and VANDENPLAS like this.