Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Willow Run Airport

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Keep them coming Ryon. Love your posts.

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"...now none of this seems topical to the Jalopy Journal..."

HAAHH!!! I-94 going from Detroit to Willow Run was called "Bomber Highway" by the locals. Bomber Highway was a favorite spot for racing and running flat out back in those days. Dad and some of the other old gents from the time had "war stories" of bike runs and racing through the early-mid 50s. Great post Ryan. That whole time period is one I'm fond of. The fashions, the cars, furnishings, movies, all on topic as far as I'm concerned. In firearms, a 1911 A1 is a thing of beauty and it reigned supreme, one of my favorite Packards are the 41 models, who doesn't like a 41 Ford, totally on topic. Thanks again bro.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  4. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

"...now none of this seems topical to the Jalopy Journal..."

IMO not many posts have been more topical to the Jalopy Journal. Great post Ryan. Thanks to your old man for sharing with you and to you for sharing with us.

It is due to the sacrifices of the men (and women) of this era that we have the freedom's of today to enjoy our hot rods and customs.

May God bless them all.

5. I looks like the guy coming out of the Ford Tri-Motor is Henry Ford II who was in the Navy at the beginning of WWII, but Henry got him released to run the Willow Grove Plant.

[​IMG]

6. retro54

retro54
    from PA

Great pictures... and jsut since it seems to tie in... for anyone interested in Ford's industrial and social philosophy's, the new book "Fordlandia" is a must read. The Book is about Ford's failed rubber plantation(s) in the Amazon, but much of the content centers around Ford's personal and corperate, industrial and social philosophys, which promoted such a massive undetaking in Brazil...

7. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Thanks Ryan.. Let's not forget all those workers that hepled the war cause too.

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Henry saw the returning ravages of WW1 and knew what war was.....

10. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

The production numbers of all divisions at Ford that were building equipment for WWII has always been quite impressive.....American industry was once a pretty powerful thing in this country. Just think if we didn't have aviation like that Bill Burke might have built lakes cars out of cut down Airstream campers.

11. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Great pictures Ryan! Thanks for posting. I have a good book about Henry Ford's involvement in the aviation industry at home, can't remember the name of the book or the author. I will post more info on it to this thread when I get home tonite. Also, another good read is "Ford, the Men and the Machine" by Robert Lacey. It was published in 1986 and has been out of print for years, but you can find copies on eBay. Alot of un-authorized history on Henry Ford and his dealings.

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Man, I’ve been trying to get ahold of a copy of Fordlandia for months. My library ordered it, but it never came until I was away, and then it went back before I could pick it up.

One of my favorites is an extensive biography of Henry Ford, Edsel, and Henry II, called Ford: The Men and the Machine. It’s a great piece with coverage of everything you might want to know about the Ford Empire: Harry Bennet, the Peace Ship, the battle against the Dodge Brothers, etc. Very much worth the read.

I just wish somebody would do a similar treatment of other auto pioneers. I’ve read halfway decent biographies of Billie Durant and the Dodge Brothers, but after the Ford book, they kinda left me cold.

-Dave

13. MODELA30

MODELA30

Ryan that was cool great pictures. Hey guys in north west indiana area and in chicago land area. . Ford was just down the street he owned lansing airport in illinios the hanger that is sitting on the northwest corner was build by henry ford. I also think its got a blue oval painted on the top of it? Any info out there. Thanks knuck from indiana.

14. retro54

retro54
    from PA

I should have been more specific... my copy is "Fordlandia - The Rise and Fall of Henry Ford's Forgotten Jungle City" 2009 pressing...

15. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I've seen that photo exposé on Willow Run before and it is BREATHTAKING for a B-24 nut such as myself. I highly suggest hitting Thunder Over Michigan at Willow Run airport. This year they are shooting to have 10 B-17s there. The last time they tried was '05 and they got 8. Pretty cool to see that many in the air. I think BOTH flying B-24s will be there as well which is a pretty rare occurance.

16. If it wasn't for aviation we wouldn't HAVE Airstream campers!;)

17. Does anyone know if Ford built or supplemented production of the Bell P-39 Airacobra as pictured in slide 3???

Greg

18. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I don't believe so, but I can find out.

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was born here in Michigan in '57...quite a while after the war. I never realized the importance of Willow Run Airport until I grew a little older, but I knew the name. Kids listen to the grown-ups talk...I was no exception, and remember Willow Run being referred to by the adults with a certain reverence. And that was well into the '60s...years after World War Two.

20. Wildfire

Wildfire

My first old Ford was a '42 GPW. Thanks for the reminder. That is the one vehicle I wish I had back...

21. bardwell02

bardwell02
    from Dallas, TX

I grew up around there too (a little later) but this plant and that era are so much a part of local history, including men (and women) who moved from rural areas all over midwest and south, then stayed after the war to build the cars of the 50's and 60's.

What I remember as a teenager driving too fast on I-94 and US-12 around this plant was that the ramps and feeder roads were out of scale with the amount of traffic. I suspect it was a relic of the interstate highway buildup of the 50's, built to prepare for a future 'wartime' level of truck traffic. Makes me wonder if we could mobilize that kind of effort today.

22. Zumo

Zumo

Ole Henry was a cooky old man but gave us many great cars. I never knew the turmoil in his family until I read up on him.

Everytime I see pics like this I still think of Hot Rods. Tanks for post'n'm.

23. gtharp

gtharp

A video about the B24 Willow Run plant

24. Ramblur

Ramblur

Warbirds built by auto manufacturers are on topic in my book. I can't get
    enough of em. I'm fortunate to be nextdoor to a bunch of them,including
    a B-24.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and another in the Lounge,

[​IMG]

And just because I'm a Hudson guy here's what I believe are B-26's also
    coming out of Detroit.:p

[​IMG]

25. http://public.fotki.com/Kos/members_photo_galle/wiilow_run_bomber/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Try this link out.

The crash site pictured (photo #160) was one of two that I heard of during test flights of B24's produced at Willow Run. One was at Warren and Ridge Roads in Canton Twp.

I had one uncle that worked there during the war years. Conflicting stories from different family members on what his job was at the plant.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  26. How can it NOT be on topic? The home of Connie Kalitta's business enterprises as well.And a great aircraft museum to boot.
    Not only Ford but GM had assembly plants there.
    Another great read that was recently re-issued in 2 volumes was:"Ford:The dust and the Glory;a Racing History" by Leo Levine.I was lucky enough to get an original volume on e-Bay awhile back.

27. Harms Way

Harms Way

My uncle Ed was one of the supervisors working at Willow Run (He called it "Will-it run":D) and was kept home to continue the work he was doing for the War Effort.

Dad, however was shipped off to the Pacific with the 6th. INF. DIV., I had always admired a gold lapel pin Uncle Ed would wear, It was a tiny B-24 with FORD written on it. After Uncle Ed passed away, It was given to me, it's still on my overcoat today.

My camera doesn't work so good with close up's,... But I will try to get a picture of it if anyone is interested.

Here is some music to listen while looking at this thread,.... truly the greatest generation. http://www.6thcorpsmusic.us/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

Very cool pics and story Ryan, I love any of that stuff

Michael

29. Deuces

Deuces

I live just a few blocks away from what I believe used to be Henry Ford's private airfield for his tri- motor planes..... It was paved over years ago and the street was named Oakwood Blvd. in Dearborn.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  30. Truckedup

Truckedup

Many,if not most the the Pratt and Whitney 1830 series engines used in the B-24 were built by Chevrolet.