Register now to get rid of these ads!

is Buckaroo comunictions / streetrod builder magazine dead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by millersgarage, Oct 29, 2009.

1. millersgarage

millersgarage

I see all the websites for all of the buckaroo magazines are down. Has this publication closed up?

American rodder?
    Streetrod builder?
    Rodders digest?
    Super rod?

???
    :confused:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  2. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

I subscribed to American Rodder over a year ago and have only seen one issue. I have emailed and called and all they say is that I should see the next issue in the mail....YA RIGHT !

3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Word on the street is that they're tits up. They are listed in the SEMA Show directory for this year.

4. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

My subscription to Street rod builder has been MIA the last few issues too.

5. A Boner

A Boner

Maybe someone can buy AMERICAN RODDER and unfuckitup.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  6. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

What he said. It used to be a great mag. :)

7. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I'm thinking that the head Buckaroo has faded into the Tennessee hills. I originally thought that John Dianna had a good product, but somewhere the idea of pages and pages of advertisements that were presented as "content" just didn't cut it. The magazines that I thought had some credibility at the beginning and had some really good people on the masthead (Gerry Burger) just lost their way and the mags became a big ho-hum, much like the old Street Rod Builder did.

I don't know if the Buckaroo publications are a thing of the past, but I really don't much care. They weren't relevant to today's hot rodder and, in my opinion, spent to much time catering to the whims of the advertisers and not enough to the desires of their readers.

Just my two cents...

8. Black Primer

Black Primer

I haven't gotten a Rodders Digest in well over a year now. So glad they "extended my subscription" to make it up to me.

9. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

The least they could do is let you know you're not going to get a magazine anymore. That would put a stop to waiting for the mailman every day just to end up disappointed.

10. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

American Rodder was a great mag. compared to the ad filled ones on the news-stand. However I guess that is why they are probably gone.

11. Heard they were gone

12. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

It seems like they've f'd up everything they have touched.

13. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

i have not gotten my streetrod builder either last week i actually got a hold of someone there and they told me they were combining the issues jun-july, aug-sept so forth only trouble is i never got any , the lady got shitty with me and said if i watch t.v i would be familiar with the bad auto economy,GREAT EXCUSE FOR NO MAGAZINE, I told here the economy was bad when they took my money, and i am in business myself , so i am no stranger to the current economic woes, however i never cheat my customers on something they pay me for.She offered a refund which i accepted , but not have seen a check yet

14. Went to the news stand today. Did not see a single Buckaroo publication on display. But I did see a lot of auto enthusiast magazines looking for buyers. A very competitive business. When you put out crappy copy, like one sentence paragraphs with over a hundred words, you are not going to last very long.

15. They HAD a good product, when they started.
    But it went down hill after the first 18 months.

Following in the foot steps of their competitors:
    too many titles, too many ads, not enough substance.

Maybe they will file for Chapter 11, like everyone else.

16. millersgarage

millersgarage

I had spoken with the rep at a few show this season, and he said they were combining issues, etc. BUT I noticed they were further and further apart.

I found Josh Kaylor, one of the photographers, on facebook, and sent him a note asking about the status of the magazine, and he never replied (and ignored my friend request...)

I noticed at the bookstore, that there are less and less Rod magazines on the shelf. sad trend.

17. xix32

xix32

are those the magazines that printed most of the car photos on a 45 degree angle?
    i stop buying them, they made my neck sore.

18. I believe you will see less and less of all type of magazines over the next few years. Why? the internet. Cheaper to just do any online edition. Look at TV guide and big time newspapers. Also no one spending money they do not have too...

19. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

Not everyone has! I've heard this same thing on another forum just today.

It's a tough market right now with everything that is going on but, if there's a passion for cars, there will be someone covering it, somehow.

20. 5window

5window

I agree. I was very attracted to it at first, then let my subscription lapse a couple of years ago. They just seemed to feature more and more articles that promoted their advertisers or were so off the wall like building a custom radiator from scratch that they had nothing to really do with actually building a street rod.

Still, it's sad to see another car magazine go under,even sadder that they've screwed their current subscribers.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  21. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

Being a NC resident and a long time fan of Rodder's Digest, I was suspicious two years ago when I renewed my sub for that mag and received one issue. After six months of no mag, I received one in the mail. Four months later, I get this letter thanking me for my patience and an opportunity to renew for two more years! I didn't bite. I have the utmost respect for Gerry and hope he can somehow revive the old format Rodder's Digest. Not sorry though for the demise of Buckaroo. Think they were trying to hard to cater to fat pocket owners and the rod shops that actually built the cars they drive. Oh well guess I'll just renew my alliance membership. I get more good stuff here than most mags offer anyway.

22. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

So it goes in the automotive magazine business, especially the old car part of it.
    As long as they keep doing Rod & Custom I'll keep buying it until it is filled with nothing but 68 pontiac custom 4door sedans.

23. Now that you mention it it's been quite a while since I saw one on the newsstand. At least 3 or 4 months for SRB or whatever their other main mag was, and longer still for American Rodder or Rodder's Digest.

And yeah, they were getting to be more and more featured ads, about all that was missing was an order form like the JC Whitney books. Except a lot of the stuff was super high end zoot you needed to take out a second mortgage to afford.

Part of their problem is the pricing isn't competitive, and the big boys like .. what is it Primedia that owns like everything else except OSR? they're so big they can sell subscriptions so cheap they basically just cover the mailing costs and eat it just to help drive a small guy who can't discount his subscriptions nearly as much, out of the market. I think they sold more ad space to try to compete, even though that watered down the magazine. But hell, if you can't get the same mag out, get something out, even if you print it in black and white on pulp paper - OSR does that for some of the pages, why not, it's "old school" I guess. Send out a 4 page update made on a Kinkos photocopier, for crying out loud. Something.

And there are so damn many magazines out there I can't even think of the name of their other magazine, they started out with the two - SRB and ?? - then added AR and RD later on. I'd have to go look through the stack in the john I guess to remember the name... somewhere there's either a message or a good joke in that comment that I am too tired to think up at 2:30 AM.

24. I haven't seen them for long here, I used to be a regular buyer of Super Rod during 2001-2003. Then they had a lot of nice building how-to's, one of the very best in a magazine, ever, was "How to whack a Merc" (Nov 2001) really into detail,103 photos and 16 pages.
    However, already in the beginning it was quite confusing as Super Rod and Street Rod Builder seemed to be aimed towards the same audience. It cant be a good way for a publishing company to work with several titles and let their profiles be very similar.
    I miss good quality cars featured in magazines, and I'm not fond of poor quality building quality and style being more and more favourized by magazine writers. In the early 2000's these two titles did show a lot of nice cars, and I do miss that approach. For last 2-3 years I havent seen any of Buckaroo's magazines over here, however titles like Amusin Crusin, Rebel Rodz and Ol Skool Rodz seems to be doing wel and sells good herel...

25. Have been reading Rodders Digest for 20yrs, renewed my 2yr subscription last year and have received ONE magazine for my $120.00 Australian.........have made numerous phone calls, emails etc.......no reply.........am not a happy camper........Buckeroo??.......Fuckeroo!! as far as I am concerned......those shitbags have ruined a great magazine........Andy Douglas

26. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I'm a magazine addict. At least an hour every day since I was 14 has been spent inside a hot rod magazine of some kind. Maybe if I spent less on magazines and more on cars I wouldn't have had to wait 30 years to get one!

Anyway, my point is that I totally agree with the comment from shade' above.

27. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

The world famous tex got in my pants years ago,learned than its a tough market for those guys the boys from buckaroo were spreadin there stuff all over 50,s a couple years ago heck they left us with a ton of them at hq that we ended up pitching once they got your dough it,s too late .....

28. Unfortunately magazines from every genre went belly up in the last few years. We all would like to see more articles and features but paid subscriptions alone will not make money for mags, only advertising. Without the ads they are doomed to failure. Same with newspapers, ad revenue sucks because there's too much free content on the Internet. For every failure, others will fill the void.

29. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Are cars becoming irrelevant to car magazines?? Seems like in the magazines that are proliferating and showing up every month use the cars as background for features on surly people with lots of tattoos...

30. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I am so glad to have my 50 year collection of rod mags. I spend more time with them than the new ones available. You younger guys should be looking for full collections of Hot Rod Mechanix, the original Rodders Digest, and the original American Hot Rodder. Lots of them will be available in the future [hopefully not mine LOL] and they will satisfy your hot rod "jones" better than what is out there now. IMO. You will learn to appreciate Gerry Berger, Pat Ghanal, Joe Kress, and many others. Joe