Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest No Mal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Mal Hooper drove the car when it was dark blue. It was then painted red and first driven by Bob Bowen. Bob first set a record in the red car at 248.26. Mal in the drivers seat.

[​IMG]

Later after Fred Lavell, the driver of the CT car could not drive because he had to go to Michigan, Clark decided to do the driving setting the new record at 248.281. He was only supposed to be doing the engine work. Lavell was the designated driver.

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Mal or not, that image is still very cool and the car is killer. Good luck with the search, that's most of the fun. Does that car still exist? I'm guessing not since not mentioned.

4. Ryan ... You probably already have these ... but here's some pics of the "Shadoff Spl" streamliner culled from the the Internet (Ugo Fadini website):

From 1953 (Mal at the helm):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From 1954 (Bob Bowen driving):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From 1958 (Bob Bowen driving):

[​IMG]

From 1959 & 1960 (Bob Bowen owner & driver):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... and just click HERE to read a little history on the Shadoff Spl.

5. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

The Shadoff Special is my all time favorite streamliner. I just might build one some day.....Lucky

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I'd hope so. Otherwise that would have been some kind of off the charts one off hand built hemi for the time. I don't think a 392 can even be bored and stroked any where close to that can it?

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yikes... sorry for the typo fellas. Hard morning!

8. I see that Dean Lowe posted a much larger (higher-rez) version of this photo HERE.

9. FYI ... Mal Hooper wrote an article in the August 1954 issue of Popular Mechanics about racing @ Bonneville ... it can be viewed in its entirety by clicking HERE.

10. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

I dont even know what to say when I see the those pictures. The more I look at them the more I get lost and start day dreaming. WOW

-Eric

11. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I hope you do... You'll do it up right!

"Belly Tankers are sooo 2007. All the cool kids are building traditional streamliners now." :D

12. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Thanks man, I just might do it after my front engine Chrisman coupe race car.....Lucky

13. Here's a nice color photograph of the "SHADOFF SPL." taken in 1954 by J.R. Eyerman:

[​IMG]

14. willg1966

willg1966

Hi I worked with Bob Bowen at Vandenberg AFB 1981-84 . I was wondering if he is still around. I am currently building a Salt car for disabled vets to drive in the 150 mph club and would like to talk to the man.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

TFC_110_Mal-Hooper-and-Shadoff-Special.jpg

https://ahrf.com/14-08-10-salt-fever/

:rolleyes:...Mal Hooper...

@Ryan, I did share a pic and a question in a less formal way in another Thread wondering if I may have the fella Mal in another classic blast from the past image so I'll share it here now that I know who I was asking about is...:)

728740fd8fb723c4235bbd9dc42efb49.jpg

:rolleyes:...Total long shot I know but you and some others here are well up on such things may be able to identify the smiling pilot of #42...even if it isn't the image like so many of them are pretty darn precious in so many ways...

Thanks in advance...;)

chryslerfan55 and Ryan like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
  17. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

15 year old post awaken from the cob webs.

Stogy and alanp561 like this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I’ve seen that picture and I do think it’s Mal.:.. but I haven’t been able to confirm it. A number of people drove that car.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since this man has a special connection of sorts to your thoughts on the Culture, I don't know if it's possible, but reaching out to his Grandson might answer some questions and connect some dots. He did say his father had the Shadoff at the time with thoughts on doing something with it. Perhaps he even has literature and pics. It has the makings of an incredible JJ entry to share with us hoodlums...

He seemed quite well spoken and approachable...just thinking out loud Ryan...Post #16 is a link to 1 of 4 posts he made here...there was another post by a Shadoff too...that was neat...

I always say, there's a huge archive of greatness in the depths of the Hamb...seeing the people it attracts is heartwarming many times...once I figured the person I was asking about (Mal) I had quite a time bouncing around the Threads including him in the conversation...and like you that one kooky pic brings a smile to my face every time I see it...kind of like I'm so happy I can hop in the Hotrod and go 150mph and fly like Rocketman!!...