Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painless, Rebel or EZ Wiring harness

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53RedRam, May 19, 2008.

1. 53RedRam

53RedRam
    from Bend, OR

I find that Painless 12 circuit harnesses are in the $400 dollar range while Rebel and EZ are in the $175 range. Any opinions which to use and why the price difference. I can not imagine there is that much ease of use differnece between them to justify the cost differential.

2. I am not sure because I have only used the painless system. That being sadi I was impressed with the kit, and I reordered another one when it was time to do my dodge.

3. The electricity going thru those wires cant read whose kit it is..Use what ever you can understand the best...Instructions on all are at best limited and you need a microscope to read the printing on the wire....I usually make up my own "Kit".and save tons!!!!!!

4. 53burb

53burb

Hands down to the EZ kit. For the price and what ya get, idiot proof too. KNUX!

5. I used Rebel wire and it was a great kit.Easy to read wires that are labeled the length of the wires. They are also a HAMB alliance vendor.
    www.rebel-wire.com.

6. Spike!

Spike!

I work at Ron Francis, a name you didn't mention but ha kits that are very easy to read and understand, has a very high quality, and has excellent customer service. Plus my job depends on you buying one ha ha ha.

Spike

7. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Ron Francis kits are great, a friend has used a few of em. Just gotta take out a 2nd mortgage to get one.

I use EZ pretty much strictly, and have done 10-15 Id say with em. Never had a problem except I believe on a board members car (57 Ford) where I believe the radio hot and fuel pump feed wires were crossed but it might have been user error. I wired it and the next week, before the car was roadworthy, my band left for tour again.

I want to try Rebel cuz hes a board member, cheaper for a basic kit, and offers a stripped down version (and I mean stripped) that most of us can totally get by with. You dont need a lot of the stuff for a basic rod/custom that even the 12 circuit mini kits from EZ come with. Im just afraid of change as Ive gotten to a point with the EZ wiring colors that I can do one in my sleep just on going through the motions. I guess I'm afraid of having to read or think? Jeez, this aint good! :D

8. I'll second that. Ron Francis, hands down THE BEST. You get what you pay for. There's nothing better. The catalog is way better than the website, though. Get one, you wont be disappointed.

9. not so hotrod

not so hotrod
    from MA

I really liked the EZ. The PEOPLE on the PHONE were great. Imagine that, PEOPLE!!!! On THE PHONE!!!!!!

The only thing with EZ is since it is idiot proof and the wires are connected to the box when you get it make sure you know were all the wires are going to go. So when you tape them up they are all neat and stuff like that.

Other than that they are great.

Probably the only harness I will buy.

Dan

10. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

what about opinioins on the mr. roadster ones that speedway has? i've been looking at one of those for my model a.

11. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

I dont want to hijack your thread but!!!!

It would be kewl if someone posted a complete wiring diagram.

When I'm ready to wire my car I want to use the origional type of wire (cloth covered) that my 35 came with.

Gary

12. I used the EZ kit on my '56 and it was great! Highly recommend.

13. PoPo

PoPo

im almost to this point in my build and this is getting interesting, Is it better to buy with the fuse block loaded or load it after running all the wires.

sorry to hijack but its along the same lines as they offer this option.

14. luckys8ba

luckys8ba

Just used a EZ kit,never had wired anything before and it was simple and works great.Dont waste the extra money on a name.

15. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I've used several EZ wiring kits with great results. I recently bought a Rebel Wire kit and when I opened the box it coulda been an EZ kit and I woulda never of known the difference.

16. IMHO. I've used American Auto wire in the shop I work at. Also used Painless. I like the Painless fuse box best, because the wire starts there and they have installed it. The Francis kit I saw you needed to solder the wire then put it under the screw. Painless is a Packard type fuse box like I worked with in the factory. One of the other brands we have used the electric fan wire was way to small and cause a fuse to blow.

17. Shakey Jakey

Shakey Jakey

I have the EZ, just wish I had more experiance in this aspect of the build. Experiance makes things so much easier.

miki562 likes this.
  18. 41woodie

41woodie

Ron Francis is absolutely the best kit on the market, the quality of the wire and it's insulation is tops. The kits are serial numbered so you or a subsequent owner can call and get help with his precise kit. They aren't cheap, cheap ain't always best.

19. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

I have done painless and ez and there wasent much difference . Id go with whats cheaper . I got help on the hamb the directions sucked

20. solo_909

solo_909

21. AstroMonkey

AstroMonkey

I did my Dodge with an Ez-Wire kit. It was great and saved me money. Good quality.

I have a kit from Speedway now I plan to use on an F100. Haven't started it yet, but it also looks like a really nice kit and it was a lot cheaper than painless.

22. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

I have also used the EZ Wiring kits(both the large and small fuse versions) and have always been satisfied.

23. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I have a Painless kit in my 39 Ford, they are good but you have to tweak any kit. Most kits for instance do not have wiring for the guages etc. I had to make a sub harness up.

24. 7"Chop

7"Chop
    from Denver

Painless you are paying for the name like Ron Francis. Rebel I know nothing about.

But use EZ all the time. Am wiring two cars in the shop right now with EZ.

It is a good buy.

25. Flop

Flop

if ya wanna spend a little extra cash i just used a kit from ynz it fit perfect didnt have to make one chenge everything thing was the exact length i mean perfect.
    has the old time cloth look with plastic wire on the inside
    all the tracers are the same as original can stress how exact it was.
    and no i dont work for them

http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/

26. rdstr31

rdstr31
    from Ney, OH

I've bought 3 E-Z kits over the years and have always liked them. Easy to read instructions and cleanly laid out wiring. Also, the fuse block is factory terminated (1 less connection I could screw up), and it's fairly compact and the wiring's bundled neatly.

What helped steer me away from the Ron Francis kits is that once all the wires are plugged into the fuse block the thing's about a foot wide with all the spaghetti shooting out the sides... Might be easy to lay out, but it seems like it would take up a lot of room.

miki562 likes this.
  27. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

I didn't mean to highjack this thread, but has anyone use a Centech kit. I really love their
    fuse box.................

28. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

ez wire no brainer

29. Slide

Slide

30. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

I used a Painless kit in my 52 Buick and an EZ kit in my Shoebox Ford, not much difference, except the price, didn't have any problems with either one.