Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 56 Ford F1 panel truck questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wally, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

I would like to know how many deluxe panel trucks were made.
    I found one for sale and the guy claims it's a 56 F1 deluxe panel truck.
    He claims they only made 400 or so F1 Deluxe panel trucks in 56. I would also like to know what's the difference between the deluxe model and the regular panel truck or what to look for. This was a Texas truck and is in pretty nice shape for it's age. It looks like it was repainted 15 years ago or so. What are they worth in above average condition? Would $9,000 be way too much? Any information would be appreciated.:)

Thanks,
    Wally

2. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

First off, it would be a F100 not an F1. 1956 is the most popular F100. I looked at a 10 yr old restoration street rod 56 panel that was a average at best. Price was $22k. I've seen projects priced at $10k....

3. I think there was something like 14,000 panel trucks in 1956. Not sure if you would find a break down on options.

It would be a F100 not a F1. And I am assuming you, and the owner, mean a custom cab.

As far as options it should have chrome / stainless trim around the windows. Chrome grill and bumper. Door lock on driver's side. Chrome vent windows instead of black. Possibly armrests, radio, driver and passenger sun visors, dome light w/ door switches, etc.

Good pictures would help with price.

4. I type too slow.... :D

5. Does it have white dash knobs and steering wheel?

6. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

There's 2 onC/list for $10.5 & 12.5, both are runners updated motor/trans & CVick subs-kinda streeted

7. scrubba

scrubba

14,ooo sounds about right . Out of that, maybe a third were the Deluxe or "Custom Cab options . I have a standard cab 1953 model ............ scrubba

8. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

I think I will get some pictures of it this weekend. I would like to hear your guys opinions of it. He did call it a Deluxe. (he might of meant custom cab but that's not what he said) I am not familiar enough with the old Ford trucks to know any different. If someone said custom or deluxe it would all sound about right to me which is why I didn't question it. That's why I ask people on the HAMB. You guys can set me straight on what's right most of the time. You are right about the F100 though. That was my mistake.:eek: I think it did have a white steering wheel but I don't recall if the knobs were white too. It had old white bucket seats that were in nice shape. The rear bumper was black and I think the front one was too. The grill was chrome but it said V8 on it and the owner said the motor was a inline 6. So somebody along the line put a different grill on the truck. I guess it's possible that it was a v8 and somebody put a 6 in it but I doubt that. Would it matter that much if it was a custom cab or a standard cab? I mean are we talking $10,000 difference or a couple of hundred bucks?
    Would a Custom cab have just a 6 in it and black bumpers?:confused:

9. They were Deluxe until 1955 when they became Custom Cabs. When this happened they placed a "Custom Cab" emblem just below the window on both doors.

As far as the white steering wheel and knobs mentioned earlier I don't believe that happened until 1957.

It could have black bumpers originally I guess. Most people think that cars where optioned out specific ways and that the factory kept figures on that and so on and so on, but I have seen many cars that don't agree with what should be.

If you can get a shot of the VIN / Data Plate it should have all the info as far as what motor and trans it should have.

As far as price - like I said earlier most of that will be determined by condition, I think, more than options.

10. scrubba

scrubba

I'll step in here again,. Due to a Chrome shortage as a result of the Korean war , one wouldn't necessarily see very much in the way of chrome until 1957. If the panel is indeed a 1955 model it "COULD" have been a factory Custom Cab. Custom Cab options standard for 1953-56 included a piece of chrome in the front windshield drip rail area , a chrome insert in the windshield , a Custom badge for the doors, 56only, extra padding in the seats , cardboard door panels and kick boards . V-8 models were identified through a V- 8 emblem on the grille . Six cylinder models had a star . The v-8 will also show within the Vin number too. Best thing to do is put a photoup and I can probably figure out what you have ............ scrubba

11. eberhama

eberhama

There doesn't seem to be a lot of custom cab panels kicking around. Most of these were bare bones work vans back in the day. As far as value, all it would really add is the value of a chrome grill and the chrome windshield trim to a regular panel, so maybe $500-600? With the options being so easy to add, and no way to verify originality, that's about all the more a seller could ask over a regular panel, no way it would add $1000s.

12. sr

sr
    from Monterey

There was a list of options according to the sales information. Stainless trim on front windshield, chrome grille, full insulated headliner with five bows , No side interior bars along the sides, it had Masonite panels on each side, more comfort padding on seat, stainless gas cap, custom cab plate on doors.

Real custom cab panels are very rare. You can mostly tell by the smooth interior walls and the extra headliner bows with trim on them.

There are not any vin reference numbers for the custom cab panels. If there are 2 horizontal bars on each side of the interior walls of the panel, it is not a custom cab. If the bars are missing and it does not have the top bows with trim not custom cab. I will post some pictures.
    In 1982 there were only 6 custom cab panels in existence according to an f100 expert. They made less than 1190 custom cab panels.

The custom cab option was also on 1955 panels. I parted one out and tried to use the bows
    In a 56' only to learn that the roof crown is different on a 55' much taller. 56 bows are one year only. I have photos and the parts in my hands and will get photos if you want them. I also have the sales brochures with the details of options.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013