Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Adriatic Machine, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Hi guys... (and gals?). So after $3,200.00 in administrative B.S. the town of Brookhaven issued me a building permit. Now its time to make it happen. 20X40 is all I could squeeze in to my yard, gambrel style roof with half loft. Whaddya think?

DSCN3153.jpg

DSCN3154.jpg

DSCN3155.jpg

DSCN3156.jpg

DSCN3157.jpg

2. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

More pics.

Attached Files:

3. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

4. big creep

big creep

no steel in the footing?

5. Maybe they put it in before they poured? Not enough verts either and I hope there is a ufer ground.

6. big creep

big creep

maybe different codes on that side of the country? but the cool thing is they are getting a new garage!

7. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

It wont be big enough in a few months. JC

8. A Rodder

A Rodder

Awesome!!!!!

9. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

Nope...better start preparing for the expansion:eek:

10. Right about codes. The next county over from me has no code requirements in the county. Hard to belive in this day and age. It is always exciting to get a new shop.

11. indyjps

indyjps

consider putting PEX tubing in your floor, even if you cant afford the system now, the tubing is in for later on. floor heat is very nice when working on cars. I regret not taking the time to do it.

I see why you needed all the approvals, the ground around there is crap, is that really all sand ?

12. derbydad276

derbydad276

no earth quakes in new york , and sand is great to build on water drains away

13. derbydad276

derbydad276

nothing wrong with sand at all
    and pex in the floor is a great Idea!!!

also here is a company closer to you that is a dealer for ProPak the only way to heat a cement floor
    http://www.ascws.com/category/4154/huron-valley-sales.htm

14. If you are going to heat the floor plan for a lift. It might be awkward when you drill a hole and water comes out.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think all of Long Island is sand left over from the last Ice Age Glacier, that is why they don't have stones for stone walls. Good luck with the built, keep posting photos of the progress. Bob http://www.newyorknature.net/IceAge.html

16. When the town of Crookhaven crawls up your ass and out your left eye socket, believe that the plans are in order. Mine is built to a lesser code and is still standing since 1946.

I've also seen the Ranchero around LI, Babylon Village maybe a couple of months ago, good luck with the garage.

Bob

17. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Two peices of steel all the way around, the guy said it was overkill but he did it anyway. Right derbydad, no earthquakes here and I'm waay above the water table so drainage is not an issue.

Yeah JC, its already too small haha. Actually this is exactly what I need, shelter a few cars with space to work. Hoarding junk is bad for me, just sayin.

Yeah Bob!!! I got a buddy in Babylon Village, that was probably me.

Thanks

18. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Did you say 3200 for a permit?

19. big creep

big creep

yea im sure none like here, its just weird for me to see that, no hold downs or bolts or nothing?

20. outlaw256

outlaw256

3200.00 just for the government bs. man that would build a big shop down here.and nom bs to deal with. just pick a spot and put it up. but i live in the country so thats a plus on my side but when you look at my neighbors place maybe that aint such a good idea after all.

21. Even our windstorm codes can't compare with siesmic codes!

22. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Yep Shiny, $500 for the survey (which was cheap!), $1,600 for the variance & hearing (to petition the town to build bigger & taller than they allow) and $1,000 for the architect plus actual permit fees. The garage will be just a bit smaller than the house and about as tall.

Yes big creep, the hold downs are in the foundation walls which were poured today. I'll post pics as I can.

I bought this house to be close to my kids and I like the area... regular Americans live here. If it weren't for that I would have bought something with a garage already done in a different area.

23. Black Primer

Black Primer

Wow, things sure are different on your end of the country. When I built two years ago, my permit was $75. I gave the town the basic dimensions, and I was good to go.

24. manyolcars

manyolcars

Variances are proof that zoning laws are just a way to get your money

25. spiders web

spiders web

Colorado is a huge pain in the ass for doing much of anything. When I built mine they made me relocate on the lot twice. Should of went bigger but I'll muddle through with what I ended up with.

26. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing more exciting than a new garage/shop, especially if you've been working in a cramped space, or out in the driveway. Enjoy it!

A "few" cars might work initially, but trust me, the space shrinks, especially if you're a self-proclaimed junk hoarder. By the time you get a workbench built, all the tools, shelves, cabinets, air compressor, welder, and hoarded junk in place, you'll be down to having space for two cars if you're lucky. I won't tell you how I know this, chances are if you simply make an assumption you'll be correct.:eek:

27. Holy crap!:eek:

Where I live, if it is not a residential structure, no permit needed at all!

28. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

built mine myself and spent about $3000.00 but I would love to have what you are doing because it will be an oasis for life.

29. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Build the ceilings tall enough so you can use a 4-post lift. They turn a 2-car garage into a 4-car garage for cheap!

30. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

Yes.... VERY good idea..... Before I moved out of NY my boss put up a new garage with the in floor water heater system..... if I was building a garage in a colder climate I would def install the water heater system.....