Register now to get rid of these ads!

where do you get uni-lug adapters???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, Aug 12, 2005.

1. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I thought this was an easy task. I've got some old uni-lug wheels and need the oval shaped insert adapters to make them 4.5 pattern and the correct lug nuts. I called all the major tire places today and none of the kids working there even knew what "uni-lug" wheels are! I've even tried Ebay. I'm not finding them. They made uni-lug wheels for 20 years! Anybody know where to get these things?

2. beatnik

beatnik

There are lot's of place to get them but You better take some measurements and find out which style you have because there are a lot of diffferent styles of uni-lug wheels made. I got my last set from here:

Prestige Wheel

There are a few guys on ebay selling them too:

ebay1

ebay2

3. At the Pomona swap, the lug nut guy has those for like 50 cents each. try one of those cheesy wheel shops with the chrome wheel you think nobody buys.

4. I got some at the Long Beach swap a few years back.
    I've seen other vendors that had them at other swaps.

Tire shops, especially the older ones can be a good source.
    Most of the owners hang onto stuff like that.

I'm pretty sure you know this, but I'll say it anyway.

If you have a wheel that has a oval depression milled in around each lug hole. about 3/16" deep then you need the appropriate oval adapter.
    The lug hole through bore will be larger than a standard mag wheel lug bore.
    You'll need the right adapter as well.
    There are two and sometimes three different offsets for the lug pattern.

There's another style of Uni-Lug out there.
    It has an oversize lugnut bore and a milled round recess that takes a circular lugnut adapter.
    These can be harder to find and for that reason a lot of this style wheel I see is in very good condition.
    If you have access to a lathe this adapter is easy to make.

If your wheel has an oval hole, but no depression milled in and the measurement along the narrow side is approx. .675 - .682 or so you can use standard mag wheel lug nuts.
    No adapters required.

One really helpful thing in running this style wheel - the ones that run sans adapters - is to get a set of Centerline flat lug washers.
    They're about 3/16" thick.
    Nice part about running the thicker washers is the lugnuts will retain proper torque.
    Using the standard thin mag lugnut washers will have them 'coning in' (funnel shape) in a short while and lugnut torque will be way low.
    In fact, these thin washers damage this style wheel after a while.
    Re-torquing doesn't help cuz the washer cones in even further and starts taking the aluminum around the lugnut bore down into the hole with it.

I was gonna post some pics of each style, but I only have the oval lug bore type wheel and no pics of either style.
    Regardless, I can pop a pic of those and post it if someone wants.

5. brandon

brandon

try terry vaughn ....he's on here some ........brandon

6. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Thanks guys. I literally went to seven different tire places today including Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Discount Tire, Tire Barn, and others with no luck. I was amazed that none of them even knew what Uni-lug wheels are. Everyone kept trying to sell me the spacer adapters like kids use on imports. I'm gonna have to try Terry or somebody old school. I was just pretty surprised since I thought these unilug wheels were pretty common.

7. gierhed

gierhed

When I worked at the Zone a good while ago, they did have them with the rest of the lugnuts behind the counter. They probably still do and don't even know it.

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

if the kids can't find it on the computer, they don't have it cause they don't know half the time what the hell you're asking for

9. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

Scoob,

I saw them today new in the bag at Mopar nats in Col. Oh.
    They were cragar brand nuts and washers and I believe the one mexican dude that comes to Indy swaps thats sells bullet lugnuts and caps hasem tooo!!!!

I would try Primo tire on west side of Indy also.

Hamb drags ??????????????

Shoe

10. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Thanks. I'll check with them and some old school tire places. I still don't know on the HAMB drags but it doesn't look good right now. The new girl racked up over $31,000 in hospital bills so far. Don't know what the insurance is going to pay so I've got lots for sale and I'm not spending much.

11. blktopbandit

blktopbandit

the guy from the swap meet is

lugnut king
    roland gonzalez
    phone 909-376-8018

[email protected]

he has the uni-lug stuff, but don't try the bullet centers, they don't fit anything i've found yet.

12. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

His bullett centers are only 5 bucks a piece I have used them in the past with either a little silcone around the center to tighten them up in the wheel or my friend who is a machinst makes me a little adpter ring.He also has bullet lugs for 1 buck a piece he seems to be a pretty fair guy to deal with no problems here yet.
    Shoe

13. beertestr

beertestr

Unearthing this thread, anybody found an online resource? I have a line on some uni-lug Cragar SS's that are missing some of the adapters. The price is right, as long as I dont break the bank trying to find the adapters.

I have not actually ever set eyes on a unilug setup, anybody have some pics? From what I have read, you don't use regular conical lug nuts you use some with shanks on them? I had a set of aluminum Centerline AutoDrags with a shanked lugnut/washer setup, is this the type you need?

FYI, these are genuine Cragar SS's as far as I can tell. The Unilug is a oval shaped insert in the rear of the wheel.

14. I believe you can still buy them from Cragar.

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi beertestr. Kinda glad you dug this thread up...I've got some wheels with a couple of missing adapters myself. Yes, the lug-bolts have a straight shank as you said. Nice close fit through the washer. What interests me, is you said that your oval-shaped spot-faces are on the backside of the wheel? I've seen all the different styles that C9 mentioned, but never with the milled oval on the back...always on the front. I can see that your style would work fine, and in fact look better. Read C9's post closely. He explains them well. The oval washer fits in the oval spot-face flush to the face of the wheel. Then the lug-bolt simply fits through the hole in the washer. If you really need a picture, PM me. I'll get a couple to you tomorrow. Good luck - Rick

Redcloud likes this.
  16. tdoty

tdoty

I'll play the dig up an oldie game too. I bought some of these from Autozone last year - they call them Keystone washers. There are "centers" and "offsets". The centers are for 5x4 3/4 pattern adn the offsets work for 5x4 1/2 and 5x5.

I need the inserts that go in the backside of an Ansen Sprint! Somebody knocked out the inserts to fit the wheels on a 4 1/2" pattern........they aren't Uni-Lugs, even though they take the "Keystone" washers.

Tim D.

17. I have no idea if this helps, but I ran a search, and this is what I found, hope it helps.

</H2>or...
    http://www.haweka.com/en/index.php?nav=5.79.83.110

HAWEKA UniLug 405 series<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 15px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; WIDTH: auto; LINE-HEIGHT: 1.5em" vAlign=top>The HAWEKA UniLug "405 series"
    Infinitely variable from 95 &#8211; 215 mm

The UniLug is a clamping device for car rims, light truck rims and in particular for French cars with closed rims (rims without a central hole).

The Haweka UniLug is a good universal clamping device which can be changed relatively quickly to fit 3, 4, 5 or 6 hole rims by using the lug.

Optimum setting is ensured with the additional aid of the PCD measuring tool supplied with it.
    This clamping device has versatile uses thanks to the large pitch circle diameter range (up to 215 mm).
    The UniLug has very high centring precision because of the exceptional and pre-cisely milled lugs and ground surfaces.
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0pt; PADDING-LEFT: 0pt; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 1.1em; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; COLOR: rgb(135,135,135); PADDING-TOP: 12px" colSpan=2>More downloadable information:</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px" vAlign=top align=left width="2%">[​IMG]</TD><TD>UniLug user manual
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE class=typentabelle cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" summary="" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#cc0000 colSpan=3>UniLug / Serie 405
    </TD></TR><TR><TD width=80> </TD><TD align=middle width="15%">Item No.</TD><TD>inc. 3 centring rings: 58, 60, 65 mm
    </TD></TR><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD align=middle>405 009 108</TD><TD>UniLug without chuck for machines with a cylindrical shaft connection</TD></TR><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD align=middle>405 280 108</TD><TD>UniLug for machines with a 28.56 mm shaft, Mondolfo, Balco, Snap On, US market</TD></TR><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD align=middle>405 360 108</TD><TD>UniLug for machines with a 36 mm shaft, Cemb, Ravaglioli</TD></TR><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD align=middle>405 380 108</TD><TD>UniLug for machines with a 38 mm shaft, Corghi, Faip, Sice, HPA</TD></TR><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD align=middle>405 381 108</TD><TD>UniLug for machines with a 38 mm shaft, Fasep</TD></TR><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD align=middle>405 400 108</TD><TD>UniLug for machines with a 40 mm shaft, TipTop, Cemb, Ravaglioli, US market, Corghi, HPA, Mondolo, Teco, Hunter 9200</TD></TR><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD align=middle>405 818 108</TD><TD>UniLug for machines with a conical shaft, Beissbarth, Sicam, Facom, Hofmann, Schenck</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD style="WIDTH: 180px" vAlign=top align=right>[​IMG] Open UniLug
    [​IMG] Closed UniLug
    [​IMG] UniLug on the wheel
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    or do your wheels look like this?
    [​IMG]
    or these?

http://www.alljeep.com/oscommerce/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=uni-
    McGard MCG.24022 12X1.5 ET UNI-LUG LOCKS $20.42 3.00
    McGard MCG.24021 7/16" E.T. UNI-LUG LOCKS $20.42 3.00

I think this will work..or help
    http://www.prestigewheel.com/Image5481.asp

and more..ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Lug-Nuts-ET-Var...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item53df241f51

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lug-Nuts-ET-Var...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item53df2d5357

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lug-Nuts-ET-Bul...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item53df3b09b9

cheers

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  18. Heres my unilug question.. if its a hub-centric wheel then do you even need adapters? as aren't lug nuts just holding the wheel to the mounting surface? not centering the wheel?

19. you'd think it would.

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dakool1...That contraption you're showing is not what we're refering to here. The wheel with the slots milled into the face is the type we're talking about. No safety issues with those.

1950coronet600hp...If I read you correctly...You're asking if not using the washer is OK? NO. You could certainly bolt the wheel on, but think about how little land or surface the shoulder of the lug-bolt would engage, if simply put through the slot with no washer. Not only is the washer oval-shaped, but the hole is too. So the shoulder of the lug-bolt would only catch a small "half-moon" shaped bit on either side of the slotted hole. Not enough.

21. This guy has what you need and is a decent guy to deal with. His stuff is MIC, but he has things no one else has. I bought some old 5-spokes and he had the small diam lug nuts I needed $1/ea. Also had the center caps, chromed plastic, but better than nothing.

22. wasn't sure, trying to help. so the last part pastes for ebay may help then, and the prestige wheel paste..is what he's looking into.

23. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Ive used smaller washers without a problem .Didn't need the offset ones and bought them at a parts store .Just use a smaller washer that fits inside the wheel lug .Just check the length of the lug ,Ive had to shorten a few ,All depends on wheel manufacturer .If not build your own .Thats all .

24. inline 292

inline 292

25. Damn dude, are there no old school speed shops in your area ? Support your local speed shops or before you know it there will be no place to go where some pimple faced kid dosn't ask you if you have power steering or not when you're trying to buy spark plugs... My local shop has buckets of that stuff. He even has a full machine shop and sponsors a couple racecars. Imagine that...:D

26. gallagher

gallagher
    from califorina

keystone auto parts is still in business they used to make a wheel that used thouse try them

27. beertestr

beertestr

First of all, thanks to everybody for replying. I need to change my settings, I am not getting email notifications when somebody posts to the thread.

The washers indeed mount on the back, if there are washers at all.
    Pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The more I look at the pics (I have not purchased the wheels yet, the guy wants too much for 2 15x8's with bent lips, and 2 15x10's, all of them with lots of corrosion), it looks like there might not be an adapter, just the shank lug nuts and washers. But I am not 100% sure.

If I do end up getting them (more for the rat-rod appeal) I will make/find some hubcentric rings and let the lug nuts do the clamping, but not hold the car up.

28. My E-T's had the oval washers and used conical lugs. And yes, they had the hole in the middle to fit 4 3/4" bolt circle.

29. I've used these many times on many different type wheels and they go on the OUTSIDE and fit in the slots in the face of the wheels.

You have two different kinds/hole location washers: holes in the center of the oval washer which will normally give you a 4 3/4" pattern and an offset hole in the washer which will give you either a 4 1/2" pattern or 5" pattern depending on whether the offset hole is to the inside or outside.

That being said, you have two different kinds of holes that are found with these washers: conical shaped holes which would use a regular lugnut with conical inside edge/lip or round-hole washers which would use a smooth shaft style lugnut that passes through the washer - these are the best in my opinion and the safest. Just make sure the shaft of the lugnut is not too long as to bottom out onto the drum/rotor without tightening the wheel to the drum.

The ET styled rims I have that use these washers will work with DB but not Corvette DB - they are too big unless a spcer is used and I don't think I would do that. Years ago McGard was the pre-eminent manufacturer of these and they did not rust. THe ones you find at Auto Zone and the like normally will rust.

30. I've used these many times on many different type wheels and they go on the OUTSIDE and fit in the slots in the face of the wheels.

You have two different kinds/hole location washers: holes in the center of the oval washer which will normally give you a 4 3/4" pattern and an offset hole in the washer which will give you either a 4 1/2" pattern or 5" pattern depending on whether the offset hole is to the inside or outside.

That being said, you have two different kinds of holes that are found with these washers: conical shaped holes which would use a regular lugnut with conical inside edge/lip or round-hole washers which would use a smooth shaft style lugnut that passes through the washer - these are the best in my opinion and the safest. Just make sure the shaft of the lugnut is not too long as to bottom out onto the drum/rotor without tightening the wheel to the drum.

The ET styled rims I have that use these washers will work with DB but not Corvette DB - they are too big unless a spcer is used and I don't think I would do that. Years ago McGard was the pre-eminent manufacturer of these and they did not rust. THe ones you find at Auto Zone and the like normally will rust.