Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech Week: VOTE NOW!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 19, 2012.

?
  1. 1: Pinch Your Own Hiney

22 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. 2: Fix Your Axle

33 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. 3: Eye Surgery On The 53-55 F100 Grille

21 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. 4: The Half Brain Brake Bleeder

151 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. 5: Fadeaway Fenders

91 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. 6: Bead Roller Ideas

92 vote(s)
    12.7%
  7. 7: Making a V'd Windshield

111 vote(s)
    15.3%
  8. 8: Converting '32 to '34 Backing Plates To Bendix

39 vote(s)
    5.4%
  9. 9: Giving the Repro 32 Dash Some Style

17 vote(s)
    2.3%
  10. 10: Save That Sweet Horn

42 vote(s)
    5.8%
  11. 11: Simplifying Suspension

107 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Well fellas... We've had two weeks of tech posts and now it's time to pick a winner. We will let this run for a week and then, at the end of that time, the winner will officially be known as a lucky bastard thanks to:

Baileigh Industrial ($1000 in Baileigh Bucks)

Legacy Industrial ($200 Gift Certificate)

Gear Drive Speed & Custom (a set of SBC headers)

So, what are you waiting for? VOTE NOW!

Here are your nominations:

1. Pinch your own hiney.

2. Fix your axle.

3. Eye Surgery for 53-55 F100 Grilles.

4. The Half Brain Brake Bleeder.

5. Fadeaway Fenders.

6. Bead Roller Ideas.

7. Making a V'd Windshield.

8. Converting '32 to '34 Backing Plates to Bendix Style.

9. Giving the Repro 32 Dash Some Style.

10. Save That Sweet Horn.

11. Simplifying Suspension

As always, I want to thank everyone that contributed to another great tech week. Even if you weren't nominated, you are most appreciated as a guy that doesn't sit on the fence - good on ya!

And, of course, a special thanks to our sponsors for making this happen. You fellas rule!

VOTING WILL CLOSE ON MONDAY (MARCH 26) AT 10AM CENTRAL. SHARP!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Well shucks, I sure am bummed I didn't make it into the top 10 errr 11. I didn't know there were going to be cuts. It seems kinda lame that the ENTIRE hamb community couldn't make the decision who would be on the top 11. Whats the problem with having a poll with all 41 the entries?

I thought for SURE I would see Ian's $20 steering colum on there! I thought that his article was an excellent example of what tech week is about. Genious, low buck, resourcefull, clean.

Anyone else a little sore about the cuts?

Ah well, back to the drawing board. Time to quit my crying...

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This is the way we've always done it man... I guess next time we can do all entries if you all want too, but keep in mind it's going to make for one hella long poll. Come to think of it, I don't know how large of a poll our forum software will support. I'll look into it... and it's fine by me.

4. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Yesterday, I made a poll that had all the entries on it and it was deleted.
    My aploigies, didn't know that there was going to be an offical one. I figured since the contest ended on the 15th the poll would start on the 16th. By the 18th and still no poll, I figured I should make one. After all in shane's instuctions he said "you will make a poll". I guess I took that too literal. I will admit, my activity on this site has always been very minimal and I didn't even know tech week had happened in years past until I started reading this years threads. So I'm not real familiar with the traditions of the contest. I just thought that it was a contest for the all the members, judged by all the members. Boy I'm starting to sound bitchy!
    But almost 2k worth of awesome stuff has me pouting and stomping my feet like a little boy denied his fruity pebbles at the grocery store! But I waaaant it!

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No sweat... Next time we do it, by god... there will be no nominations. I'll just make one huge ass poll... So long as it doesn't get to hairy.

6. metalix_421

metalix_421

I love tech week. hats off to all the guys that put something up this week. lots of great ideas.

7. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

That was a tough decision there was some good ones!, good luck
    Everybody

8. Brog

Brog

Wow the results are close. I went with the V'd windshield, beautiful work

9. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx man... was pretty disappointed too!!! Went way out of my way to take pics at suppliers, I had already done one column, but thought i would make another one on my dime to show how i did it, but oh well... I guess it's too amateur for this site!!!! Your floors do look great Jordan and i guess that's what matters most!!!!;):)

10. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

What I find interesting is that who's to say that one that didn't make the cut would have been a winner??? I ask this because I had my pick all ready to go, now it's gone. Maybe this is the reason that no more submit than do for tech week, you suppose? Or possibly why the vote count is always very small.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Not to sound huffy, but damn fellas... We could just stop doing tech weeks altogether... I mean, at least we have them and we work pretty hard to make it as best we can.

And Dick, as for vote count... I don't think we've had less than a thousand votes in a few years. That's pretty damned impressive actually. So impressive, that we get better and better awards every time we do one. You won't find another forum that gets as much participation as ours.

But I hear your concerns and, like I said, next time we won't have nominations at all.

12. 25Thobbyist

25Thobbyist

Last tech week I worked really hard on an article. Took my time, lots of pictures, etc. And then, I didn't make the cut.

I didn't care as that's not why I did it. And it was obvious mine wasn't as compelling as the winner.

As soon as big prizes, money and things like that get involved, you see the other side of people. It's predictable.

Thanks for what you do Ryan. I really appreciate it and love tech week. Keep doing what you are doing.

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's not the money or the prizes in my opinion. It's just that these guys work hard on these articles and, understandably, want recognition. I get that side.

It's not really that big of a deal as a fix is easy enough. No more nominations.

14. 36coupe

36coupe
    from Oklahoma

I love tech week. Thanks Ryan. And thanks to the sponsors too.

15. I feel Ryan's pain!

And contributed to it this morning...

I run a school... and when you try to do something that you feel is beneficial to the kids, teachers will always let you know if it's something that a) Isn't really going to help the kids. or b) Is something that IS going to help, but it is more work for THEM.

When "b" happens, you have to step back and make a descision... and awefully times, that can be hard.

Personally... I wish I could have voted THREE times.

For mine... of course. :D

But also for the fixing the axle one... it's so very timely for me. I have TWO axles that need that fix... and now I know how!

And, the half brain brake bleeder! That tech is just genius.

I gave them both props... very well done.

Thanks for doign this Ryan, and putting up with our crap.

Sam

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  16. Some of you guys could be handed a truck full of beer and the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders and STILL bitch since you drink Scotch and like the Patriots!!!!!!!!!!! Sheesh!

17. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

I couldn't agree more Ryan. I felt kinda scummy even complaining at all. I really just wanted to see how I measured up against a the colosal group of talent the hamb has to offer. I thought....maybe....I might have some underdog chance to squeak out a win. I hope the other guys dont take my complaining as a stab at you. I think a contest like this in absolutely shit economic times is awesome! A glimmer of hope that good things can happen to a normal Joe with a good idea. Thank you to all the sponsors!

As for me, now I have to cook something up for the Allmetalshaping.com or the Metalmeet.com contest. But crap the competition is stiff over there! I'm buying metal shaping DVD's from the guys I'll be competing against!
    Wait...I know!
    How to make a recessed firewall by bashing it against my own forehead!

18. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

19. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

That was tuff...great stuff everyone!

20. brad chevy

brad chevy

I always thought tech week was to show your ideas and to inform all the Hamb members how to do things they need to know how to with shortcuts and great ideas. If the only reason any Hamb member does it for is to win a prize and be put on a petestal doesn't really know what this forum is all about. Winning and whineing kinda look alike but there is a big difference.

21. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Come on guys, we should be thanking Ryan and Shane for the opportunity.

22. cl350rr

cl350rr

Great ideas, thanks for putting the effort into it guys and to Ryan for hosting

23. gonzo

gonzo

V Windshield is a clear winer IMO!

24. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

kudos to everyone--even those who didn't make the cut. There was a TON of fantastic tech included in this tech week. subscribed for posterity.

25. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I feel for the guy who took the time to put a tech article together only to have it not count in the end. With the economy the way it is and a $1000 on the line, I'm sure a tool could help someone's shop get back on their feet.

For those who say it's complaining, let's see your well thought it, well put together tech article, show us your time and efforts......

26. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Another tough one! I've been re-reading all of em and finally had to just pick one that would benefit me most every day.
    Good effort all, those who made it AND those who didnt. Even though some are cry babies!:eek: Hahaha, jk, dont cry!:D

27. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I would leave it as is Ryan. I think it will keep guys pushing for better quality tech in the future. I know it has for me. I have something brewing but its not perfect yet so when it is I will post it, If I miss the nomination mark so be it At least I will know what I put up will work and I will still feel good about it. As an Honorable mention to Ian I too totally thought yours was a sure one in. Hey better luck next time right! I know a guy such as yourself will take it in stride and like me know it is great tech wether it made it or not and it is here still for guys to use ( if they know the search function LOL)

28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've only been here a short while, but I think EVERYBODY THAT TOOK THE TIME TO WRITE A TECH IS A WINNER!!!

I learned a lot from each one of you! My thanks go to each and every one of you guys. Without guys like you, our hobby wouldn't exsist! A BIG ATTABOY to all ya'll!

29. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Ryan , thanks again for another great Tech Week ! I am always fascinated to what comes up and all the hard work that someone has really put into making something much better for all of us to use .
    I thank the Sponsors for donating the prize for the winner too ! You know there could be no winners or prize for anyone but just to say that your Tech was the best and let it go with that . Just keep that in mind !
    Ryan , I hope this keeps going JUST the way it is right now and NOT have a HUGE list of entries that will run on for ever ! I understand that everyone that made a Tech should be thanked for all their hard work , BUT let's get real here people . Not everyone can make the cut or list and it really needs to be that way . If not a person might just win from their own vote and a couple friends they told to vote for their Tech entry as well ! Now that could happen very easily . So it needs to be this way to be fair and not be able to win just because there were 300 Tech entered and only 1000 people voted . That would leave someone to win with just 4 votes ! If you look at any Contest anyplace like this one , there has to be a cut along the way someplace to make a list to vote on .
    Once again , Thanks for ALL the Tech articles and ALL the people that posted them for all of us to use ! BUT in the end we all know there will be a top "11 list" that will be voted on for the winner .
    So please lets not have a Bitching contest too just because someone else though that some other tech didn't make the cut or doesn't like the Way It's Always Been ! It was damn nice to have a Tech Contest so lets just keep it like it is !
    Again , thanks to everyone for all their damn hard work that made a tech for all of us to use and keep for future needs and all the people that made the contest possible along with the Great Sponsors ! If it wasn't for them , there would be NO CONTEST !
    Just my opinion !

Retro Jim

30. raymay

raymay

It was a toss up for me between Giving repro dash some style and Bead roller ideas. SinceI have had experience in doing some types of dash modifications in the past, I decided to go with the Bead roller idea. Just happen to have a lighty used roller collecting dust that looks like a good candidate for an upgrade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.