Register now to get rid of these ads!

shuffletown dragstrip North Carolina ?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Apr 2, 2008.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

He just did a full tilt 331 Cadillac for fellow Iron Lord Jeremy. It's a pretty nasty engine and Jungle is still building them like they use to!!! I was suppose to get my 265 built by him when I was in the planning stages but a friend stepped up instead to save me some money. I would have liked to have Bob lay his hands on an engine he was supposedly really well known for hopping them up back in the day.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Anybody have an address where it was?

3. 214Gearjammer

214Gearjammer
    from Dallas, TX

Jeffrey--I can't help you with an address. It was off Hwy 16, I think. I am 57 so it has been well over 40 years that I was going there. At the time you just went that way until you saw it--there was nothing else out there! If I remember correctly the whole area was originally called Shuffletown, not just the racetrack. Kind of like an old settlement that got annexed. So you might find it in historic archives of the Queen City somewhere...
    Bangshift.com has a cool 2 minute video of some of the cool matchracing that went on.
    Funny story--We hitched out there one weekend to see the first Funny Car I ever saw run. They normally only ran 1/4 mile so it was a big deal. The guy blew up going through the lights and we ran on to the track to look at it--no kind of security in those days--block had a 6" hole peeled back in it. We were devastated.....but the driver climbs out smiling and laughing(first firesuit I ever saw also!) He was bragging about how long that engine had lasted. Turns out he came to Run it till it Blows cause he knew it was close. He was on his way to Atlanta for a REAL race and wanted a fresh mill. I would have given anything just for the pistons out of that joker and to him it was just another engine!!!

4. JJ : The strip was located on NC Hwy 16.They called it Old NC 16 for a while.. There's been a name change since & is now known as Belhaven Blvd . It ran alongside a creek .On the right side going west. It was east ,about 1/4 mile from the intersection of what is now Mt. Holly/ Huntersville road ( the closest cross street).The overhead bridge for I-485 crosses Belhaven ,right at the site. Google " Shuffletown" and a lot of old community info comes up along with maps, etc

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  5. The creek was pretty close to the return road. I went with a friend once that won his class but wanted to run again. They wouldn't let him go again and were backing him off the track and he ended up going down the bank to the creek.

He had been drinking rum all day though...

6. Burleson

Burleson

As a Charlottiean who grew up hearing about Shuffletown, I was sad to hear of it's closing as I had never made it up to watch any of the action. Now that I drag race any weekend I can get away from the wife and kids, it's a bitter spot knowing I'll never get to make a pass at such a historic track.

We do most of our test n tunes at the Mooresville Dragway, Darlington and Rockingham.

I avoid zMax like the plague. They don't do squat for track prep and the number of street racers out there who don't know what they are doing just makes it worse. Street tires through the waterbox and then big burnouts with street tires.. makes bad prep just worse.

It's a shame they shut down Shuffletown, I'd love to make some passes there. I think at some point I'm going to sneak out there and check it out, just to see it.

While my car is not your typical racer, it's a blast. It sure it fun beating up on the mustangs, they hate loosing to a wagon. :)

7. frank spittle

frank spittle

When the track was still operating I organized several Shuffletown Dragway reunions. The property has been turned into a city park for several years and I have given thought to organizing another. There is plenty of parking so I will try to get permission from the City. If I am successful this will give some of the HAMBers a chance to see the track and some of the racers and their cars from back in the day. I will start working on it.

8. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Frank^^
    That would be cool let us know.. I would make the trip to hang..

When I first moved here in 94 I used to hear a bunch of guys bitching about the shutdown.. Now I know why.. I forgot all about this place.

9. customcory

customcory

I would be all for that.^:D

10. redhumphries

redhumphries

I know a man that has the sign that used to stand by the side of the road its in his garage and he wont let it go . would be great garage art for the shop

11. hotdamn

hotdamn

you know, I know of a shop that would look great in!!! ;)

wink wink nudge nudge:D

12. 11E

11E
    from USA

I raced and attended Shuffletown a number of times in the late '60's until I went into the army. It was a quaint 8th mile track that was fairly primitive but all we really had in the immediate area. Very informal, dirt roads off old Highway 16 and "pit area" (if you could call it that). I won there a few times running friends' cars and a couple of time my own.

You can still view it and the return road clearly today on Google Earth at coordinates: (just south of intersection Highway 16/I-485 Gov. James G. Martin Freeway)

In Google Earth, you can also enter "Shuffletown Park Charlotte NC" and find the pushpin at 9500 Bellhaven Blvd., Charlotte, NC

35degrees, 18', 58.72"N
    80degrees, 56', 25.08"W

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  13. 11E

11E
    from USA

Further to above, there are few videos on Youtube of Shuffletown action (all of it later than my time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNpOG8Hl4II

Here's Ronnie Sox at Shuffletown. Notable was the colorful commentary that the announcer was known for. This could occasionally be hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdjcJwTTAro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBPast6KG1M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-npR_pnoAks

In the '70's period, there was a trial of drag racing at Charlotte Motor Speedway (on the pit road) that ended disastrously in '74 with a triple fatality crash of the rocket car, the "Pollution Packer". It wasn't until years later than new facilities ( I gather a small oval and a drag strip) were built on the big empty lot across 29 from CMS, now completely developed as a motorsports facility. In 1970-72, this was just a big empty field behind the Gulf station at the corner with a huge boulder at the intersection of two dirt "roads' in the middle of the field away from the trailer park. This was where our local/informal skydiving club used to jump, the Gulf station owner had a Cessna 182 that we'd fly off those dirt roads and the landing zone was a pea gravel pit near the middle of that field. Depending on winds, it was possible to land across or even on 29...and even in the speedway itself, which was tough to get out of when not operating (a lot of climbing was involved). Demands for the land and a skydiving fatality disrupted the jump club a bit and moved it to Waxhaw in later years. In those old days at the speedway, we'd finish jumping and go down the road to Herlocker's Drive-In (I went to high school with those boys) and the old Red Lion Tavern on North Tryon St. or N29. I think all those places are out of operation now.

14. realkustom51

realkustom51

Here's a ad for Shuffletown from 1972.

[​IMG]

15. 214Gearjammer

214Gearjammer
    from Dallas, TX

Love the add, RealKustom51.....Now the Ace Speed Shop add could start another interesting band of stories! Boy, we hung around THAT place before we were old enuff to get drivers license...we would run our hands over the used trannies, intakes, etc on the floor for sale and just dream of the day! Nice folks to let us kids hang around.
    Cause now that I look back on it, we were pretty obnoxious! Good Times.
    Shuffletown and Ace--two very cool parts of 60s life growing up in Kakalaky!

16. frank spittle

frank spittle

I occasionally drive past Shuffletown Dragway but never have my camera with me. Today, I did. You can see a significant change from the pictures posted here two years ago. But first I will show you what it has become. The City of Charlotte made a beautiful park out of the property after purchasing the large tract of land. The middle picture shows the ball fields about 1/4 of a mile in the background. This originally was the return road to the spectator side of the track on the left of the drag strip shut down area. I took several minutes to reminisce. This brought back many fond memories for me. I started racing there when I was 19 in 1963. The track had only been open a couple of years then.

17. Frank, 'you still working on a reunion????

18. frank spittle

frank spittle

Shuffletown & Kenny T 005.jpg
    Yes, but I haven't had the time to devote to it. Here is a picture from today of the dilapidated drag strip. Nature has had it's way since the last photos 2 years ago.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  19. frank spittle

frank spittle

Shuffletown & Kenny T 004.jpg Shuffletown & Kenny T 006.jpg Shuffletown & Kenny T 008.jpg Shuffletown & Kenny T 009.jpg Here are a few more pictures for those who remember what it was and what it is today. The first pic is what remains of the paved pits, the second is the Highway 16 bridge behind the dragstrip, the third is the timing tower and the last the creek that runs beside the track. One of my best friends wound up in that creek upside down in his 390-401hp '61 Starliner in '62. This was when the track was still dirt. It wasn't paved until '63 or '64. He survived with minor injuries.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  20. 214Gearjammer

214Gearjammer
    from Dallas, TX

Love that pic of the bridge, Frank. Brings back lots of memories from on it and below it!

21. jungle_josh

jungle_josh

We used to race there alot in dad's now my 1969 camaro.Alot of great memories at that track.Anyone remember a baracuda was fuel injected silver caled El TORO ? alway's liked it.

22. pooch1

pooch1
    from southeast

Time period: the early 70's, we went to Mooresville on Saturdays and Shuffletown on Sundays. Two cars I remember were a lime green metallic Anglia gasser sponsored by Ace Speed Shop. The car had a single wheelie bar as I remember it and I think it ran C/Gas?? It was always competetive. Anyone remember who drove the car and what engine combination it ran? Also remember a local pro stock Vega from upstate SC, if I remember correctly. Beautiful car, candy tangerine paint, I think it was called "The Candy Man". Does anyone elso remember this car, who the owner was, and did it have any connection with Bill Jenkin's cars? Thanks.

23. pooch1

pooch1
    from southeast

I found one of the answers on another board. The green C/G Anglia sponsored by Ace Speed Shop was driven by Rudy Sherrill. I had not heard that name for a long time, but remember the car- it was tough.Rudy and people like Ned Cherry, Frankie Flanagan, Liston Kendall, the McConnell Brothers, and the Hartsoe Brothers put on quite the show in the late 60's and early 70's at the local tracks.
    Can anyone help identify the candy tangerine pro stock small block vega from upstate SC that I thought was called "The Candy Man"? It was a beautifully prepared machine. I remember it from a Pro Stock race at Shuffletown that featured Reid Whisnant, General Lee Edwards, the two tone blue Stuart McDade car from the early 70's. I know this subject is slightly outside HAMB time frame, but would appreciate any help here.
    Thanks.

24. benoit

benoit
    from VA USA

I went there in 1989 on a trip visiting the US and the drag racing scene. I had been to many tracks before but I loved that one and the people. Great memories. Pro Mod was coming up and this place was 100% about it. You could tell something big was happening and this track as small it was was attracting the right cars. I wanted to write something about it in a french publication. I did things for them from time to time but they could not understand. PM016.jpg IMG_0004.jpg

25. frank spittle

frank spittle

A great reminder of what it was. Thanks for the post.

26. frank spittle

frank spittle

Richard Broome, who was a regular at Shuffletown will be inducted into the North Carolina Drag Racing Hall of Fame this Saturday Feb 20th 2016.

27. Went to a small car show today in Bessemer City NC...and here's an old timer in an original Shuffletown Dragway jacket....Norm Mcdonald ,Clover SC... Said he got it as an award when he ran there back in the day..... 145.jpg 146.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  28. frank spittle

frank spittle

Shuffletown Dragway legend Jean Howard will be inducted into the North Carolina Drag Racing Hall of Fame next month. If you ever saw her handle a 4-speed transmission back in the '60s you never forgot it. She was the first female I remember racing a car there with gobs of horsepower. Well deserved award.

29. frank spittle

frank spittle

Jean Howard was without question the most popular person at this years HOF. It was the first time I had seen her since the last Shuffletown Reunion I organized over 25 years ago when the track was still open. She signed autographs for 2 hours. You just had to see her bang a 4-speed back in the day to believe it. NHRA Super Stock legend Chuck Gallagher, who was inducted several years ago and was also there, told me she was the toughest racer he ever faced.
    In her speech she explained to us who wondered how she got into racing: "I was the youngest of 3 and did whatever my 2 brothers did for entertainment growing up. When they started drag racing I loved going with them to the races. We all worked on the car. My oldest brother drove but was drafted into the military in 1964 and my other brother did not like driving. He told me if we were going to keep racing I would have to learn how to drive a race car. By the time he got out of the military two years later by other brother told him he had lost his ride but he was happy to watch me beat the guys".

30. frank spittle

frank spittle

For some of you Charlotte area hot rodders who wonder how the Shuffletown community was named and therefore Shuffletown Drag Strip here is the most likely according to a website. The north/south and east/west trading paths crossroads just above Charlotte across the Catawba river became the first area to build up in the 19th century. It was almost all farms and corn was a popular crop. Many of the farmers moonshined on the side and a local hangout at that crossroads was the first "watering hole". It became a quite popular spot for men to gather and after spending an hour or longer there men didn't walk home they "shuffled" home. It makes sense to me!

MIKE STEWART likes this.