Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bias Ply To Radial Conversion?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by solo_909, Oct 14, 2009.

1. solo_909

solo_909

Hey guys looking to get some new shoes the for Falcon and cant seem to find what size I should go with everyone tells me something different which adds to my confusion. The shop manual says that the sedan falcon uses a 6.50X13 bias ply. Ive tried some searching on some of the online tire store but nobody has this size for the conversion. Can someone please help me out with this? I dont want to have to mess with the speedo so I need something as close as possible. Also is it better to go with a little taller tire or a little shorter and why? Im also thinking of switching over to a 14" mustang rim for a better lowered stance look. Any help? Thanks in advance for the wisdom.

George

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

sell the car, its obvious that you are over your head on this one.

Peter Vey likes this.
  3. you will find when putting radials on eary falcons or chevy2's that have " coil over" suspensions the radial tires track so positive compared to bias ply that it knocks out the alignment.

4. squirrel

squirrel

6.50 x 25.4 = 165 mm

so a 165R13 would be about right, eh?

5. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Jim, I'd never disagree with anything you say.

6. squirrel

squirrel

you should, because sometimes I pull answers out of my....

7. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

so. that means your admitting to being a "wize ass" ? LOL

8. havi

havi

Food for thought: Radial tires on a rim designed for bias ply tires may introduce some problems. I'm not too positive on the 1960's rims, though.

9. I'm not sure when the bead retention lip on rims was introduced, but how much trouble can you get into with a 170 CI powered Falcon. He could upgrade to a later wheel to be on the safe side.

Bob

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Taller or shorter will mess with the Speedo, width won't.

Go to Coker's website and see the conversion charts. By the way, speedo gear changes are pretty easy and well worth it to get the look you want. Heck, even if the speedo is off by some, lots of guys here don't even use them.

11. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

First of all, find a tire store with people who know how to convert the old tires codes to new stuff....

12. Put on tires you like, follow someone else, have them drive at a couple of different speeds like 30 and 55, see how far your speedo is off, drive accordingly.

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Bead retention, or safety rims, wheels were made standard equipment on Chrysler product cars and trucks in about 1940. I'm sure everyone else followed suit in, say, 1941.

14. havi

havi

Thanks, I wasn't sure of the year.

15. Most times tire stores do know what they're doing, but do your own research anyway.

Changing speedo gears is no big deal in most cases.

Figure the change by percentage.
    IE: 5% change with a tire or differential swap, 5% change on the speedo gear in the same direction fast or slow as the case may be.

Last couple of times I walked the tire aisles at the local Walmart and Sams Club they had a reasonably good assortment of 13" tires.