Register now to get rid of these ads!

best 32 ford 3w coupe kit car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikhett, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Thinking about building a fg kit car 32 ford 3w coupe any suggestions?

2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

3. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Kilbourne, Gibbons and Outlaw all make good bodies. I'd suggest you talk to them about bodies and/or body/chassis combinations. There are plenty of good chassis out there. See what the hot rod shops near you carry. Don't let all the wise asses on here deter you. Build what you want and can afford. I've had both steel and glass 32s and enjoyed them all equally.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Do not purchase on PRICE ... the cheaper bodies need a LOT of work. Some need re-enforcing so the doors do not hang low.

This is a Wescott 3 ..

[​IMG]

Wescott has the BEST fiberglass 3W body IMHO ... but it is also the most expensive.

http://www.wescottsauto.com/WebCatalog/B-Body/B16-19-3WindowCoupe.pdf

When properly painted ... it is very difficult to tell from Henry's steel coupe.

Many of the cheaper bodies do not have the correct window shapes, the roof is flat and they do not have all the bumps and warts that make a real HENRY

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Gibbons has been bought out and no longer is in the upper midwest. The new company is Gibbons Glass Cars

[​IMG]

This is their offering :eek:

6. Poesrodandcustom

Poesrodandcustom
    from Kentucky

Best quality is a redneck body, if I was going to build one for me ( I can't afford redneck) I would use be-bops out of tn. Have not used the wescott but that sub structure looks nice

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  7. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

speedways looks pretty nice

8. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

easy to build too!

txflash likes this.
  9. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I'm not up to speed on the Company but I got my info from this web site:
    http://www.gibbonfiberglass.org/index.html

10. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Wescott is the best if you can afford it. Some of the lesser expensive will work just fine though. I built a Kilborne 5W 12+ years ago and its still going strong with over 30,000 miles on it and no signs of problems..

11. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Kit? lol......make sure you buy enough glue

Nothing kit about them. YUOu want a turn key car, some vendors will put a deal together for you so it becomes a kit

12. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

anyone ever use a jim weimer rod garage 32 3 window body? the price isnt to bad but i have never seen one in person. they have a nice lay back chop top.

[​IMG]

13. Deuces

Deuces

Smartass!....:rolleyes::D

14. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

Brookville makes a nice 3window kit!

15. b-bob

b-bob

I can vouch for Westcott's coupes. I did some finish work on one a few years ago and was very impressed with it.
    I don't have a pic at hand, but most people would never know it was' glass.

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone makes a full kit for a 32 Coupe....a kit car, like you get Cobras and GT40s? No fucking way?! What a way to take away individuality and any creativity in Hot Rodding!
    I can understand the sports car kits, they are copy's of a production line car, but a kit Hot Rod? Thats just wrong in so many ways!
    Isn't building a Hot Rod all about individuality, don't we build our cars to express ourself through our car's.
    A kit of a Hot Rod just takes all of that away. 1800dial-a-billet-rod was bad enough, but having kit-rod's is wrong. Can you imagine seeing a row of 20 or more 32 Coupe's all exactly the same....UGH!!!

I fear people that this may just well be another nail in the coffin of our beloved way of life.

Doc.

17. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

We did see that a few years ago with the Bobby Alloway cars. All looked alike and look like shit if you ask me. Buying similar rolling chassis/body combos doesn't mean all finished cars are going to look alike. Color, interior wheels ,tires and so on will make them all unique. I would rather see that than a dozen guys standing around all with slicked back hair, chain drive wallets, black T shirts and tattoos all exactly the same....UGH!!!

18. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

I have an old Downs Vicky body. They have changed hands since .With no big issues. Just finished a Westcott Roadster. Was a nice body too

19. dad-bud

dad-bud

It's great you're getting so many different opinions on here, isn't it?
    Choose whatever car you want, and build it however you like, after all, it's YOUR car!
    Build it, and enjoy building it, no matter whether you start with a kit or just a couple of individual components and fabricate everything else.
    When you've finished building it, drive the wheels off it and enjoy the hell out of it.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Cheers.

20. Deuces

Deuces

Billet rods or bling mobiles... It's all the same Doc.... They go after pop culture or some shit like that.... Gag! :eek:

21. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

fake is fake--

22. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Well said.

23. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Yea if you like rat rods shit boxes.

24. Vin-tin

Vin-tin

Just last week I seen a glass '32 3 window body locally on Reading Pa's Craig's list. I think it was in the Douglasville area. It also came with an original chassis but it didn't look like that was for a '32. It was under 3k for everything but don't remember exactly how much. I'm sure it didn't last long at that price. Good deals are out there.

25. Westcott makes the best Fiberglass body's,,but they are fiberglass yet they are correct in all details.

I had a Westcott roadster,,working cowl vent and all the indentations on the body were correct. HRP

[​IMG]

26. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

??? expand

27. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If a fiberglass kit car gets you into hot rodding then I say go for it...

28. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I saw the rat rods you built on your link I'd rather have a Street Beast than one of those abortions. Anyone with that taste in hot rods shouldn't be critical of a guy wanting to build a glass 32.

29. A Boner

A Boner

Check out kit car magazine. It sounds like you are a beginner. It would probably work out better if you started out with a car that would be easier than a 32. I would suggest starting with one of those M.G.'s that are built on a V.W. chassis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.