Register now to get rid of these ads!

Feel the Power of the 45...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

3. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

how about the jerkoff who "found" one on that desert car kings show. and then like drywall screwed and duct taped it into his chevy S-10 turd......

4. terry48435

terry48435

Had one in my 60 Impala in the late 60's. Some turd ripped it off with all my 45's. Also had a 4 track tape player for awhile.

5. Is that a young Lawrence Welk, sportin' the plaid shirt in the last photo ?

6. Just Jarrod

Just Jarrod

As an avid vinyl collector, I have always loved this idea... however, innovation in technology has served me better in the scorching southern AZ heat. I'm keeping my records in the house.

7. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

I lived in Yuma (Kofa High one of my 6 high schools in 4 years) and had a plastic box, Some kind of tupper ware, that I would put ice in the bottom, cover with a thick towel and layed the 45's on top. but I still have some warped records,

8. Showed my kids what records were and they were amazed at how a turntable worked...the main thing I miss about vinyl were the album covers...some of the
    artwork was incredible...it's just not the same when it's in the little jewel box that cd's come in (that is when you buy a cd instead of just downloading the music)

9. flamingokid

flamingokid

As an avid antique radio collector,I have owned several of the Muntz units.Madman Muntz built 45 players,the first 4 track and 8 track players for cars,and was one of the first to sell home video.He was also the first big seller of cell phones in SoCal.

10. flamingokid

flamingokid

He also produced the "Muntz Jet".

11. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

12. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

You are correct, sir!

Bring on the tiny bubbles!

13. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Very cool stuff!!

From my limited knowledge of these, some play from the underside and some from above...evidently many of the latter style (needle pointing down) have a pretty heavy tonearm to minimize skipping...they can be pretty harsh on the groove.

14. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Those things are awesome. I have one of the first indoor 45 players, but it's not the same. (Partly 'cause it doesn't work right now!)

You know who definitely has one of these in his car? Lee Pratt; he has one in his '49 Ford.

Total inspiration, but I have heard that they're tough on the records.

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I had to laugh a few months ago when my girlfriend pickup up a 45 in an antique store, looked at it very quizically and wondered aloud how something that size would fit into a C.D. changer!

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

This even pre-dates me.:D I can't think about hotrods and records without thinking of my buddy Charlie Walters. He had a super straight 34 3W 283 PG. When we backed into the parking space at the Mo he'd roll down the rear window and lay his crank phonograph on the package tray and the panel above the rumble seat. Wind it up and put on some Elvis. Teenagers have to have R&R tunes.

The record players were mainly for parking. The needle would bounce and scratch the record if you tried to use it while driving.

I had a 4 track tape player which was a big upgrade over the phonograph but the tapes were a PITA. The 8 track was even better.

17. squirrel

squirrel

in the late 60s we had an inverter and a reel to reel tape deck, house type preamp, amp, and speakers in the station wagon, when we went on trips.

Times have changed, it's hard to tell if it's for the better. Used to be AM radio was pretty good to listen to, so we didn't need record players or tapes or whatnot.

18. pretty cool, if funds allow it...one of my bucket list cars is to recreate my grandpa's high school car. 1961 Pontaic Catalina 389 with tri power, jardine headers, set up in '61-'62 as a high school kids street/strip car in so cal. He had told me that he used to take his 45 player out when he took his car to Pomona to save some weight haha.

19. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

Keep an eye out for the records too. The big companies put out vinyl like 'Sounds of the Thunderbird' (something like that). They were meant to go with specific models for music to drive by, and help with sales. :)

Some of the players that were available as accessories from the dealer only played vinyl specifically made for them. The albums looked like 45s, but were designed differently with deeper grooves and playtimes that would better withstand the mobile environment.

When my '46 Chevy truck nears completion I'm going to try to find a player for it. I think vinyl is the only way to go for the best in quality sound . . . even though these players aren't reproducing a super high quality sound, they are still just too cool for school. ;)

20. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Medium to large size bubbles. Don Ho had the TINY bubbles.

21. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Rockin with Lawrence Welk. Gotta love the HAMB. Thanks. Slim

22. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Hi-Fi! gotta love it!
    [​IMG]

23. The first version of the Mopar Highway Hi-Fi had its own records which were 16 2/3 rpm and it would not play 45s. Chrysler surmised that the slower speed would eliminate most possibility of skipping. That idea was tried for three years I believe and then they went to a different brand that.....played 45s. People wanted to play ALL their records, not just the very limited selection of 16 2/3rds made for the Highway Hi-Fi unit.

24. Special Ed

Special Ed

Yes. Yes, he did...:D Along with coming up with the name "TV", he manufactured TV's, the first "big-screen" TV, and a daughter named TeeVee! He's in the Consumer Electronics Hall of Fame as the inventor of car stereo.... :)

25. jipp

jipp

im music guy so i know i have to have music in my rides regardless what it is and if the engine is loud, ill get a louder radio. laughs.. i would of been one of them guys packing a record player around im afraid back in the day.. already pack my guitar with me just to noodle around out in the desert during the winter. long live rock n roll.
    r.i.p dimebag
    chris.

26. squirrel

squirrel

We were just discussing "muntzing" on the nixie tube forum....something about taking out parts out of an electronics design until it quits working, then putting the last part back in, and selling it that way. Like engineering, only different.

27. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

wow how I remember these, a small change in the diameter of one shaft and they played 45's. Still have mine that was used in several cars back in the day.

28. jipp

jipp

hey jim, are you the guy who builds the mp3 player amp for the bikes? or is it a friend of yours, i just know the person was in az.. and you posted the link. im gonna have to get one of them for my tad pole trike.
    chris.

29. Special Ed

Special Ed

Yeah Jim, it's apparently a very common term used among electronic geeks. What a rotten legacy to leave behind! Removing parts until it quits working... :eek:

30. squirrel

squirrel

That's my crazy brother David. He has a 58 chevy wagon he drives around sometimes, and an old Volvo 544 that hasn't run in years.