Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is the HAMB for sale too?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by 1.5%, Aug 7, 2012.

1. 1.5%

1.5%
    from NM

So Ryan sells The Jockey Journal. Shit. Is this place for sale too? Highest bidder or what?

2. srs1

srs1

any bets on how long this one lasts?

3. What the heck are you talking about?:confused: HRP

4. I wasn't aware but I doubt that the HAMB will go up on the block it is Ryan's first child.

5. From Ryan:

Jason and I started The Jockey Journal more than seven years ago. The idea was to create a forum for motorcycles that was kind of parallel to the H.A.M.B. and the idealogy that comes with it. In many ways it worked and in others, it failed miserably.
    Those failures rest here. I just haven’t had the time or the passion to invest in The Jockey Journal like I would have liked. As a result, the site swayed further and further from my grasp and my comprehension. As it did so, I stepped away and kind of ignored the community that Jason and I started. Every month I would pay the bills and every day I would answer support emails, but my contributions stopped there.
    You’d think that such neglect would lead to doom, but it hasn’t. Instead, The Jockey Journal took on an identity of it’s own and continued on behind the leadership of a few great moderators lead by Jason and the late and dearly missed Dragon. At the end of the day though, it’s the users that make a forum… and you guys have made this one.
    Ever so often, I realize that and try to inject myself back into the fold. Invariably, my dedication fails me and my guilt fades. Neglection again.
    A few weeks ago, the people at Motorcycle.com showed some interest in acquiring The Jockey Journal and I listened skeptically. The more they talked, the more the idea began to make sense. Past paying the bills here and answering those pesky support emails, I have brought very little to the table. Motorcycle.com has the ability and the resources to offer the community much more in the way of software updates, added features, moderation, and more. Realizing this, I decided to sell the forum.
    I know it’s the right decision for me both from a financial and a time management standpoint, but it’s still hard to type. I hardly ever sell things and the pit currently in my stomach is a major reason why.
    So, what does this mean exactly? Initially, not much. The new front-man of The Jalopy Journal is a patient fella by the name of Adam and he tells me that there are no changes on the table at this point. It will be busines as usual. In the future, I’m certain there will be changes, but I’m also sure those changes will come with grace. It will still be your forum and your voice that drives it and, above all, that’s what is really important.
    More than anything, I just want to thank you all for the seven year ride. Thank you Jason, Mike, Trent, and all of the users that have made this place what it is. See ya down the road!

6. get you fresh hot popcorn!!!!

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Nope. I've had plenty of acquisition offers through the years, but I'm not interested in selling The Jalopy Journal... Or any of my other sites actually.

I sold The Jockey Journal for one reason - I just don't have a passion for motorcycles and if I'm not passionate about my work, I don't work well. It was pretty obvious through the years that I wasn't spending enough time on that site and as a result, the site suffered.

I don't like doing stuff half assed. So, I sold it... and it was mine to sell.

And that's all there is to this story.

8. money has changed many a man's mind. i wouldn't take it personal, 'cause lord knows, they don't.

9. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

A thread started by a guy with 4 posts in 5 years??

Good for you Ryan. Pride of ownership is a good thing, and this forum is a testament to that.

10. 1.5%

1.5%
    from NM

Wow. I guess you are right. I am just bummed is all. I hope Motorcycle.com doesn't screw it all up.

11. good to hear your statement, Ryan, and thanks for the wise words, you absolutely made the right decision.

Thanks!

12. I am a member over there but like Ryan my hearts not really into bikes anymore,so I rarely check the site out so I guess I missed the announcement. HRP

13. silent rick

silent rick

i was wondering where the link at the bottom of the index page went to.

14. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

In addition to five posts in five years I also see that his "about me" intro sucks.
    The content is as empty as his efforts to convey any degree of intelligence.

I amend the words above with......

Hey, Ryan, you are correct (see his post below). I did sorta jump into the fray without much consideration for his feelings. I honestly regret having put my thoughts into print. Please excuse?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No need to bag the guy. He's a Jockey Journal guy that got scared by the new announcement is all.

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's like a guy owning a dozen cars, and realizing he doesn't have the passion and/or the time for all of them...so he sells the one he's neglected the most. Just can't do it all.

It only means he'll be able to do an even better job with his other interests. I respect him for making a difficult decision.

18. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Congrats on a little more freedom Ryan...you are one top notch act. If only more people in this world cared for what they do like you........what a world it could be!!!!

CHEERS!

19. Me, too! I doubt that I have been over there more than a dozen times in the last couple years. I sold the last of my Harley collection a couple years ago and haven't looked back...

20. Wow, you and the originals gone, me gone!

The J.J. is the passion, and I expected this answer. Thanks for puttin the period on the sentence Ryan!

21. Yep, me too...

22. Oh the Grumpy one on a bike!!!!!!! Watch out Fonda:eek::eek::D

23. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Good for Ryan. If youre not that into it, its a time killer.
    Good for Ryan. He went total big brother and made sense about the OP's comment.
    Good for Ryan. Took NOTHING and made a valuable product that people wanted.
    Good for Ryan. Sold it when he was done with it insead of restoring it someday.
    Good for Ryan.
    Thank you.

24. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Little typo there... ;)

Malcolm

25. Has anyone noticed? An 07/ 5 post noobie started this. Climbing into Ryans business!:confused:

26. silent rick

silent rick

actually, he's been here longer than you have. as for post count, we don't know how many he has on the jockey journal

27. pumpman

pumpman

Good for you boss, with that said, and all of this new found free time you have does that mean there are new and exciting things on the horizon for HAMB? HEE HEE

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Holy crap. Thanks. Fixed.

Again, The Jalopy Journal is not for sale... And won't be sold.

Yes. Actually. :)

29. Well, This is the Hamb my friend! It doesn't matter how many posts he has there!!! Or how long he's been hangin!!!! What's the purpose of bringing up this point, that's my point!!!!!

30. Good move Ryan. The Jockey will be fine guys, Ryan planted a good tree.