Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Tether Cars

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ryan, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Oh. Well, in that case, I take it all back ;o}

2. onearmbandit

onearmbandit

3. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Did anybody notice in Ryan's original post, the photos of cars #22 & #5
    the radius rods appear to be accelerator pump linkage rods from Stromberg 97's
    There's a pretty cool connection!

4. casper

casper

I finally scored a front engine dragster (a modern build) with a twin spark plug head. The rear tires are vintage "Big Deuce", still need to get some cool wire wheels and tires for the front. Overall length is about 22"

Attached Files:

5. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here is a link to many magazine article. Some dating back to the 30's.

http://www.amrca.com/news.htm

If you look close, you can see me in one of the articles.

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

You might get a kick out of these,.......

Attached Files:

7. tfr1

tfr1

Amazing thread. WOW!

I have nearly completed a Belly Tank car. The engine has yet to be mounted. I have an engine but am still trying to figure out fuel tank and exhaust details. I have built models before, but a scratch built tether car is a new challenge.

Thought I was the only old car guy intrigued with these toys. Wrong again!

Attached Files:

8. cooper300_0

cooper300_0
    from australia

Gooday my name is Adam, I build and restore tether cars in australia. I have about 40 cars at present all built by me. All the doolings except the later front drive, some mitesand a selection of big cars satan,Mcoy rod and invader, all as close to how they were equipped originally. I suppose i am at an advantage because this type of work is my trade and have access to good machinery. For a job i build uav engines(unmanned air vehicles) I really enjoy the info I read on this forum. I hope to post photos and details as they come to mind, all cars built are based on what I see in books and forums like these (no engineering drawings used here) and what i cant see i make what i rekons correct see you all later

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  9. spununit

spununit

Hi Adam I got a polished Dooling F car off you a couple of years ago, your workmanship is top class! One of mates hassled the crap out of me to get that car. How about posting some pics?

Here is a pic of my Dooling Mercury it's original unrestored, has great patina. The car has a Dennymite engine I got it from the original owner who got the car new when he was 17 years old. Johnny

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
    Asphalt Demon likes this.
  10. cooper300_0

cooper300_0
    from australia

11. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

cooper300 0- that`s a nice looking car! can you post a few more images [with the body opened up] and give us some details on the construction of the car. thanx.

12. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

13. cooper300_0

cooper300_0
    from australia

here are a few more photos of the belly tank roadster built late this year http://picasaweb.google.com/minicoop95 this car is equipped with Mcoy 49 using billet gearbox machined by me, front axle support machined from billet magnesium and front axle supported on rubber grommets and al alloy collars to allow limted movement to allow car to sit on al l4 wheels nicely . 2:1 steel bevel gears fitted to gearbox, castings originally from xaviator in america then modified to allow a gearbox to mount towards rear of car then new castings done

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  14. cooper300_0

cooper300_0
    from australia

Her is a few more photos of a satan tether car completed this year this car is equipped with pacemaker 59 not used often in tether cars but a nice engine steel bevel gears in rear axle assy top is fibre glass pan is al alloy wheels Mcoy style really nice car i think. happy christmas :rolleyes: http://picasaweb.google.com/minicoop95

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  15. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Where is it" I'd like to see if it matches an original I have.The belly tank is unreal, have any more?.

16. cooper300_0

cooper300_0
    from australia

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  17. SantosMont

SantosMont
    from Portugal

18. abone1930

abone1930

I have had my Grandpa's old tether car for awhile. Just found a pick at his house with him standing in front of it. On back of the pick it says 41, I dont know if the date is right. He was born it 22, he was 19 when he built it. Has an Olhsen motor(spelling might be wrong). It is un restored. Grandpa did not buy a kit because he didnt have the money. He made everything. It is all wood. He said he made the front drive axel from a phonograph.It was running when he stopped useing it. At 88 years old he still amazes me. He ways always a craftsman. It was running when his mother put it in the attic. He found it up there about 20yrs ago. Now I have it.:D My last name is Johnson :D and you can see where It says Johnson special on the cowl.

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      196 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      203.2 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      182.1 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      215.4 KB
      Views:
    • 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      198.8 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      211.4 KB
      Views:
    • 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      206.8 KB
      Views:
    • 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      194.9 KB
      Views:
  19. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Awesome...I love the rear leaf spring and the little tacks holding the leather around the seat.
    Need to build a nice display case for that, what a great family heirloom.

20. abone1930

abone1930

Thats why Grandpa gave it to me. My wife lets me display stuff. And I love old stuff and want get rid of it. He did pretty good detailing. I have never seen one like it. All I see are kit forms. I have never seen one hand made like this. He said he only ran it about 5 times.His memory is alittl foggy though. I wonder If I could find some repop tires. Or just leave it be? I really dont care about cranking it though.

21. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

I know the HAMB is all about running old equipment but I think that old gal has earned a nice resting place on a shelf someplace (away from young kids). It's probably a bit frail at this point and may start to disintegrate if you start fueling it up and running it..those things were (are) pretty damn fast and you'd be heartsick if you trashed it.

The tires look to be vintage balloon tires like the gas airplane guys used... I may even have an old set stashed away you can have them if I can find them.

22. abone1930

abone1930

Man for being made of wood its stout, does not a week spot in it. Got to ask grandpa what kind of wood he used. I would really love the tires. Will pay for them. The tires have no thread and are smooth, unless the thread fell off :D

23. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

The more I look at that thing the cooler it gets...the windscreen, all those little hand made brackets, the rear number....way more sentimental value than a store bought job. Your grandpa was a pretty crafty guy.

..almost looks like a different tail number on the car in the pic (9?)...maybe he changed it for luck.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  24. abone1930

abone1930

Damn Going to have to ask him :D I wonder if the old one fell off? He's pretty sharp dude though still. Will look at the pick when I get home again too. He also said he used to run them on the wooden GYM floor at school. This all ways happening in either Kilgor Texas or Austin texas. Will ask him.

25. GuyW

GuyW

My dad made his toys and diversions as a young boy and into his teens - unless you were well-to-do, you didn't buy stuff at a toy store (but wow - what toys were there...)

(why do you think the Mechanix Illustrated etc had all those plans??)

BTW, kool tether car...

26. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

I just missed the Whittier Narrows meet but I plan on taking my new toys their next time in January to see them run!

27. RM-Special

RM-Special

Recently I took my two youngest kids to Model Park in Sydney Australia.It was an open day (every last sunday of the month except in December)that you can take the family along to check out the model live steam trains, ,radio control planes and cars ,1/4 scale midget racing ,control line aircraft, etc.
    Our main mission was tether cars, unfortunately the weather was against us and the rain came down big time ,but the tether car fellas allowed us into the covered pit space and we were able to hang out for quite awhile and talk to various owner builders of these way cool machines.We only got to see one car run,but we were well hooked.The sensation of speed was awesome.
    Here are some pics for you to enjoy
    Cheers RM
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  28. RM-Special