Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Tether Cars

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ryan, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

These guys were playing with steamlining back in the 40's too.

[​IMG]

What looks like the front is acctualy the rear. On these cars the narrow skinny tires are the rear tires. The pair that are in the center of the "Teardrop" are the front tires and they are the drivers.

[​IMG]

Here is one in action. The cable is atached to the bridle so that the center of gravity lifts all but the inside drive tire off of the ground to reduce the rolling resistance.

[​IMG]

These three cats are from The So. Cal. area. The one on the right is the one and only Dick McCoy.

[​IMG]

rotten ron likes this.
  2. Here is a small sample.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. woodythx138

woodythx138

Wow what a awsome post, didn't know there was this much interest, I have been doing tether cars for 25+ years and make scale model wire wheels for said cars.Back when I first got involved my very first big car (A Dooling F car )I got from Don Edmonds and from then on I have had over 300 + cars go through my hands over the years.I know just about every seriouse collector there is and allot who have passed on.Whay a great hobby it used to be and still is.I have built over 300 sets of wire wheels for guys all over the world.I also build scartch buiklt cars as well as reproductions from castings.The orig. cars got so dam expensive and are getting harder to find and even hardder to tell appart from fake cars.If your new to this you better make sure you know what your buying before you step up.I have seen some big pre-war cars go for 20k plus and also some cars that were represented as orig sold for 4-5k and then the guy shows off his treasure and finds out he got burned.
    Like anything research,research,research , it pays off in the end.Here are a few pictures of cars I have built and old time photos.The picture of perfict circle speedway was given to me by Al Papina's Daughter Pat. Chris

Attached Files:

rotten ron and Asphalt Demon like this.
  4. woodythx138

woodythx138

Just a note, the last three pictures are cars that were at Sabattinis tether car show in Fresno, Ca ever March.The very last picture that looks like a bee gee plane is an ice racer , the track roadster and other two cars in the same picture were built by Marv Richert of L.A. and the streamliner car was built by Don Edmonds, the rest were all built by me.See how many guys you can I.D in the picture of Perfect Circle Speedway, there are some famouse people in that picture.Chris

rotten ron likes this.
  5. Truckedup

Truckedup

Me and a friend used to fly teathered model airplanes,we decided to build a tether car powered by a prop model airplane engine.We scrounged up a wooden model car,mounted a engine and prop at the rear.This wasn't a Cox little motor but a quite large engine designed for a big wing model plane.Being we lived in the city and having no proper round track,we fired it up in the street for a straight line run.Unfortunately we didn't have a reverse prop,the car wanted to go in reverse,we just let it rip.The fucker shot backwards like a rocket into the curb and flipped over,before we could grap it, Uncle Zero pulled next to the curb in his 50 Mercury,crushed the car flat.

Toms Dogs and rotten ron like this.
  6. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I found this pic after reading this post rekindled thoughts of tether cars. It's a parts list that came with Dooling F cars. My dad raced these, as well as airplanes in Las Vegas, NV back in the 40's-50's at Cashman field. The second pic is of the F car my old man raced sitting next to the restored car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rotten ron likes this.
  7. Casper's T-Bucket is killing me.

Does anyone know of a source for affordbale kits? I'd like to build a roller just to look at. I've heard mention of fiberglass bodies being available but haven't been able to find any photos.

Great thread.

JH

rotten ron likes this.
  8. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

rotten ron likes this.
  9. woodythx138

woodythx138

This will drive you crazyer, these are all scratch built from the raw or kits, the red wire wheeled track roadster was a kit from a guy in Stockton Ca and I did the wire wheels for the car,the other car and dragster were from a guy in Salt Lake city.Gary Barns sells a fiber glass bodied track type roadster and some guys sell the 32 roadster type cast alluminum bodys,theres a cool track roadster nosed hot rod on E-bay thats under tether cars. Chris

rotten ron likes this.
  10. woodythx138

woodythx138

Pictures iof the track roadsters.Chris

Attached Files:

A Boner and rotten ron like this.
  11. woodythx138

woodythx138

Some more track T and a coupe.The black coupe is a Randy Giovenale car and the rest are the great Don Edmonds who still cranks out cars.What a blast these are and some are dam near as much as a real car, Dons cars go for 6500.00 to 12k .Chris

Attached Files:

A Boner, rotten ron and Asphalt Demon like this.
  12. woodythx138

woodythx138

Ok a few more pictures of track T and a big sprinter at the Sabattini show in Fresno.The first three pictures are of a King car which is from Austrailia and kits for this car are still availible from tlc tether cars ,I didn't build the car but put the Ford Av8 wheels on the car .Chris

Attached Files:

A Boner likes this.
  13. The Randy Giovenale car is a little stunner. Would love to know more about those.

I love that Australian King too.

JH

14. My brother has one that is set up for a Cox 0.049 engine and propeller.
    The body is hard rubber.
    Just a little something different.

15. woodythx138

woodythx138

Ya Randy was a true craftsman, sad to say he's not with use anymore. The king cars are realy cool and I think you can get one for around 325.00 or so. Go to www.tlctethercar.com and talk to Gary he knows the guy who cast the cars up.Also check out my web page www.gmcmachineservice2.com and see all the differant wire wheels I make, there are 8 pages so you need to click around abit to find them all.Chris

16. woodythx138

woodythx138

Sayu tell use more about who's house this is, looks like some cool cars. Chris

17. spinzzy

spinzzy
    from indy

Hi guys
    its been awhile scince I posted anything but couldnt pass this one up the subject I mean <I still run these cars today and try and keep the hobby alive its a very small group of guys that run ,you think they are fun to look at then dont go and watch them run you might just get the bug your self heres a couple of pics. of my cars the big blue one is a 60 size car I won my class with it last weekend at 140mph the smaller car is a mite size car the record for that group is 124mph that reccord was set in the 1960s here's a pic. of my cars enjoy

Attached Files:

A Boner likes this.
  18. woodythx138

woodythx138

Spinzzy , very nice couple of proto cars, also love the tin racer on the top shelf..
    Chris

19. zellerware

zellerware
    from dad's shop

I will take a picture of my quiver and post them Thursday.. That pre war German Benz is rare.. I cannot justify dropping three grand on a McCoy roadster... no way.. too expensive..

20. zellerware

zellerware
    from dad's shop

nice! quite a quiver!

21. zellerware

zellerware
    from dad's shop

these are nothing like the spin dizzys/ mccoys but are rare die cast/ tin plate hot rod toys from the 1950's.. :cool:

Attached Files:

22. A Boner

A Boner

Here is another item to add to your list of stuff to look for at a swap meet.

[​IMG]

23. Thanks a lot guys. :rolleyes:

Because of this thread I'm the proud new owner of some pieces of a tether car that I need like I need a hole in my head.

I really hope that I'm happy with just one. :rolleyes:

JH

Attached Files:

24. casper

casper

Way to go Harrison! The Dooling F car (and the small version) is the best looking car made (in my humble opinion!) You will have fun building it, but "happy with just one"? You will see..... It's like an addiction. Have fun!

25. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Well,I looked all these pic's over,but still didn't see type we raced here in Miami in the mid 1950's. We made them our selfs,driven by 1 front wheel right off the motor[mostly .049 power,but a few guys had some bigger motors for the larger class cars. Some of the guys were pretty good at making the bodys look nice,the bodys were bent from the metal of 1gal. tin cans,and fromed into what looked as close as we could to 1940's coupes and sadens stockcar racers,cut back or no fenders at all. The motor showed in the motor bay. The tin bodys were thin and would get dented up like a real stock car racer in time and show some racing age. :cool: There was a mag the covered it,but darned if I remeber witch one.
    A no this stuff was not invented in CALIF.:eek:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  26. Tether Cars are like salted penuts. You can never have just one.
    Good Luck.:eek:

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I want one... so badly...

28. E Burfield

E Burfield

This stuff is realy cool! I just broke a record in the modern nostalgia 60 class for the second time in a couple of months. Its not as easy as you think it is!
    Crazydadyo it would be really cool if you could make it back out.
    Anybody interested in running or checking them out. There is a track at Whitter Narrows in California . They run on the first and third sundays of the month. There is also one in Indiana and Long Island N.Y.

29. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson
    Alliance Vendor

What a great thread!! I still have a Cox .049 motor in a Chapperal plastic body. i am going to see if it still runs this weekend

30. woodythx138

woodythx138

You know my friend Gary Arnold who owns TLC tether cars sells casting kits and all the goodies to make a cool car, most are repros of orig.I see a guy just snagged a micro Dooling F car from Gary , he also has the frog as well.Go to www.tlctethercars.com and check out his stuff.Also depending on were you live check around for a local MECA swap meet thats were you will find the orig big and little cars I think there on the web some were should be a link through Garys site.Well if you dare to watch e-bay they turn up on there under the heading " tether car " and hold onto your wallet because they get expencive off there.For you guys with time on your hands this can still happen ,run an add in your local rag paper or post a wanted sign at the local grochery store or auto parts house and tell ya what you will be supprised at how many people will say hay I have one of those.The best trick I do is drag a big car with me to a swap meet and bam I always get two or three hits right there.Just ask my good buddy Ken Magee who did just that and scored the best dam orig old time hot rod going, it realy works.Now back to the shop, I do have castings from time to time nd for the woundering they go for around 450.00 for a big car and about 275.00 for a small car thats less wheels and tires those come from Garyus site.If thats a bit steep for some crack out some .050 aluminum and carve out some wood bucks and away you go.The other thing to do is find a copy of the Bantam midget drawings and carve one out of wood frame and all just like they did in the begining.Chris

Attached Files: