Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just asking for clarification

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Ever since I have been a member I have seen birthday threads..Never a problem until today?

But today I posted birthday wishes for Bob K and it was deleted almost immediately with a generic PM saying 10 or more people had complained(reported) the thread.

Come on...Bob K,,who doesn't love the guy?

Are these threads now considered taboo? HRP

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I noticed someone posted your Bday thread and it was also deleted, but ScaryLarry Bday thread is still here?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. silent rick

silent rick

birthdays at bob's age are dangerous. the heat from the candles alone have caught several neighboring states on fire.

4. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

HRP: I think Bob complained 10 times, doesn't wanna get any older. :)

5. .....I'm the guilty party that started both of them. Must be when 10 people complain it triggers a deletion. The Mods did in fact send me a pm indicating that 10 complaints were logged saying that the content was off-topic.

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

maybe people think that Bday threads are too Facebook or something...dunno

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. .....I can understand that. I think going forward I will refrain from posting them. My guess is that some folks may wish they had never put their birthday listing on here to begin with and perhaps when Ryan gets the new format up and running they will be a thing of the past. :)

8. IF someone was born before 1965 would they no be considered traditional. seems on topic but I don't make the rules.

HRP- HAPPY BIRTHDAY

9. silent rick

silent rick

i removed my birthday from my profile. i get a birthday wish in an email every year from the jalopy journal. i still think it has something to do with all them candles on bob's cake.

10. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

In any case, Happy Birthday HRP. Thanks for all you do in here......

11. The thread I started about Bob wasn't up long enough to get any complaints..Well except for one guy.:rolleyes:

I understand these post are not specifically on topic but heck it's getting so serious lately we can't publicly wish our friends a Happy Birthday. HRP

12. ........I guess we just have to send 'em a pm and keep it off the main forum. I can accept that.

13. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

That's what Facebook is for. This site is for hot rods.

14. Thank you TR Waters,,what was that you said yesterday about all the wannabe moderators?..you proved your own point! :rolleyes: HRP

15. Speaking as someone who has had their fair share of threads deleted, I can sympathize. At the same time, now that I've 'crossed over', I can also see why some of these things get the 'boot'...Believe it or not, Ryan & the crew work extraordinarily hard to ensure that good, compelling content is featured on EVERY page in EVERY sub-section of the HAMB. It's not about keeping folks from having a good time, expressing their viewpoints, or limiting 'free speech' (as we are often accused), it's about ensuring the delivery of compelling, relevant, and hard-hitting traditional hot rod/custom content. As the boss man says, it's not personal; it's editorial.

Lemme phrase it a different way; take a look on any given day at the bottom of the main page...see all those birthdays? Today alone there are 30. Imagine if every single one had a b-day thread started in their honor...by my count, there are 35 threads showing per page of the HAMB (not including "Stickies"). I don't have access to the #'s, but I would imagine there are probably 60-70 new threads started daily on the HAMB "General Discussion" pages fighting for 'space' along with existing content. Add in 30 new threads per day for b-day wishes and you have, well...you have good content (the traditional build threads, history, and tech we all come here for) pushed back several pages - and likely lost in the mix.

Don't get me wrong, you guys matter to us - especially those of you (BobK & HRP) who have been here since Moses - it's just a delicate balance. As this thing grows, that balance becomes more difficult to manage. Hope you guys understand; no hard feelings intended.

16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Your old time Mod doing a ride along with my fellow Newbie Mod gwhite on this one.
    A clarification.........
    You guys see the birthdays, so feel free to send your fellow HAMB birthday guys a private message.
    They will appreciate it. They will feel great if you do.

The HAMB is growing big time fellas.
    Let's keep the car posts focused on cars and going strong.

NOT personal - Solely Editorial.........
    Let's Keep posts on topic and relevant to quality car relevant posts vs. general quantity posts.

Every one is important... but most of all the cars - love those old time Traditional Hot Rods and Custom Cars.

The glue.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  17. Muttley

Muttley

There is also a point at which checking out the HAMB will become like reading a textbook if you arent careful.

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think BD posts are better served as private messages... This is a traditional hot rod and custom forum, ya know? In any case, most of those get auto deleted as they are reported as off topic so many times.

19. ........x2:)

20. I was one of the complainers because I'm jealous nobody wished me a happy birthday last year. Just kidding. This IS a car site, not Facebook, as mentioned. And still the best around.