Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Spring carlisle 2014 April 24-27th

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigbob55, Apr 14, 2014.

1. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

10 days away. Space #'s NJ 17-19 to of north Field Look for the HAMB banner
    Selling car and drag racing videos on DVD at Moonlight Movies. See you there ?

2. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I"ll be there BOB, I will be sure to look you up!

3. Counting the days. Living close lets me stroll through on setup day.

4. Wildman1

Wildman1

We'll be rolling in Thursday - can't believe that it's been like 39 years now!

Still not pulling a damn cart or wagon - never will ! ;)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014

5. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

I'll be there Thursday morning to set up. Takes me a while to get up and running. If you guys find treasures and don't want to carry them all day feel free to drop them at my spot while you walk (Honestly, I won;t resell them !). Come back and pick them up at the end of the day

6. 5window

5window

Amen to no cart or wagon-those guys generally have no idea where or who they're dragging that thing int0-until they graduate to scooters and run into you with power. I appreciate that many of us are aging and need assistance to get around, but I see tons of people who I just want o tell to get up off their fat butts and get some exercise. Just was at Charlotte and it was really bad there-an it's flat!

OK so this will be about my 12th year, but I'll be looking for HAMBers!

7. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Ya I guess handicapped can extend to the mentally ill too....What gets me is they have $65 to rent these scooters for 4 hours but bust your nuts on the price of a $5.00 part !

8. monkeywrenching

monkeywrenching
    from maryland

I'll stop in to see you Bob. I should be there all day on saturday trying to find that widget I can't live without.
    Dan

9. 48prerunner

48prerunner
    from ny

I've been going for about 32 years now, we used to camp in the back of truck right across from the school, that was years ago. Depends on what day the weather looks best, right now they say weds, but too far ahead to tell. I don't think I've ever gone on weds is that set up day?

10. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Big rigs can get in as early as monday (Like Meguires, Coker and Honest Charlies etc) so they can get into their spaces with tractor trailers easier.
    Others Wed, but not much there for buyers until Thursday when the weekend warriors like me get there.
    Depending on the weather I usually drive down from Pittsburgh Wed night and park on the spot and start setting up Thursday morning. Thursday some early buyers looking for hard to find stuff...but alot are other vendors buying up things they can mark up and sell Friday or Saturday. I sell car movies so the general public (not other vendors) are my clients, my best selling day is Friday or Saturday. I Pack up saturday night and pick through the Sunday leftovers in the morning for bargains that others may have missed.

11. 5window

5window

I've got absolutely no problem with someone who needs a cart using one. But, the general lack of courtesy among cart drivers is incredible. They almost all expect a foot traveler to watch out for them and avoid their unattended forward progress while they're viewing the wares.

I generally put in 11-12 miles on my podometer (I'm 65-still moving!). I did 12.64 miles at Charlotte two weeks ago-but that's pretty flat.

12. Will look you up Bob, weather permiting what day I will attend.

13. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Sounds like I better pack up another case o brew....See you guys there....Seats and first beer is free, so is watching a movie (will have at least 5 screens and got the 50 of the newly released Snake and Mongoose if you get there early enough) ....after that you pay through the nose just like a "non Hamber" !!

14. We will be there Wed and Thu. I need a new movie or two to take home, much better than trying to watch American Hot Rod or Gas Monkey restore a Jeep and the arguments on Floyd Cotterpins American Hot Rod :eek: See ya there :D

15. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Hambers get 20% off anything I sell at the events (not Mail order) so, just sign the banner and let me know you're a Hamb member. My Helper Carol is building a shoebox, bring a few pics of your avitar...maybe she'll discount them even more !!

Ya these "reality shows' that aren't real are getting me down too.

16. I will be there on Thursday looking forward to it 110 acres of rust gold there just has to be something I cant live without!

17. jkeesey

jkeesey

Bob, do you sell posters also? I think I bought one from you last year. I remember the Hamb banner with all the signatures.

18. John Lafayette

John Lafayette

Can't wait to go and score something I can't live without even though I don't know it yet! Pray for no friggen rain.

19. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Bob, do you sell posters also? I think I bought one from you last year. I remember the Hamb banner with all the signatures.

Yes I do sell full size movie posters, and pin up posters, car movies and drag videos. I am outside at Carlisle "NJ Row" top of north field. Should be open by Thursday afternoon, then Friday and Saturday

20. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

SSFFNOMAD, Wed & Thurs camping in Haulmark trailer. Out main gate , through fence into Frick's lot. We travel w/Hemmings bag. Leave big hand truck w/ flip down platform for large stuff, or wheels & tires in trailer till needed. Thank you to all Hamb members for posting locations and services.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. LOWANDRATTY

LOWANDRATTY
    from va.

Hey guys I am looking for 55 and 56 ford front body parts, anyone going up with any ? spot # would be great, just going up for Friday, Ken.

22. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Weather looks semi ok with a chance of showers Friday....still early could go either way
    Hoping for the best !

23. 5window

5window

One thing you can bank on with a PA car show -whatever weather they're calling for a week ahead of time will never happen.

Where layers, bring extra socks and a raincoat and sunblock and a water bottle and quarters for the bathrooms. :D

24. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

You are right there 5 window...and there have been several spring carlisle meets I have vended where the weather has kicked my ass. Storms come up hard and quickly...but normally don't last long. Layers are best....you can always peel it off as it warms

25. What, rain at Carlisle....or Hershey.:rolleyes:

26. papajohn

papajohn

Haven't been to a spring or fall Carlisle in about eight years, but have gone about 20 times since 1986. I'll be there next Thursday and Friday and bringing my 16year old son for his first time.

Will also be the first time that I will be there and actually looking for a car. I am skeptical if it is still possible to find a good deal there on a car.

Posted using a number two pencil on a paper napkin.

27. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

That's a great meet to take a youngster interested in cars for a first time event...only because it can be overwhelming to someone who has never been there to see how many others share interest.
    Depends what you are looking for and how much you want to pay. I have been vending there for over 20 years with different parts. I go with a buddy who helps me set up then goes hunting...not for parts but for cars. In the last 5 years he has bought a car on Wed or thursday and resold that car for 20-25% profit on Friday or Saturday EVERY YEAR.
    Point being if you are looking and look hard enough...and not too narrow on what you are looking for make or model wise, you can find a turnover OR a keeper at a fair enough price. Ya there are plenty of car sellers living on the "Barrett Jackson Cloud" and chances are the car you find at a price you want to pay ISN'T in the car corral....it's on a swap meet space

28. papajohn

papajohn

Thanks for the pointers BigBob. Hovering around that $10k mark. Would have gotten a lot more back in 1986!

Prety open minded, but I will know it when I see it.

Looking forward to see my son's take on the whole thing. We did Hershey a couple years back.

Posted using a number two pencil on a paper napkin.

29. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Ya Hershey is pretty astounding too. It's a little different with me vending. I am kind of stuck in one spot BUT I can observe things that people walking around buying don;t see
    If you get to the North Field (NJ 15-17) are my space numbers...stop by I would like to meet "the kid". At 65 It's good to see youngsters getting into the hobby that has amazed me for so many years. Maybe I'll catch you up at Dunkirk in May...that's coming up for me too.

30. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'm sure I'll stop by to chat , Bob . I've always gotta buy a couple videos from ya . It's getting harder to find ones I don't have though , lol !