Register now to get rid of these ads!

1937 Ford Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hooliganshotrods, Jun 10, 2013.

1. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

So with my 31 coupe wrapping up soon, I found this one to keep me busy through the winter or I should say multiple winters. It looks to me like someone tried their hand at hot rodding it in the 80's, they did a poor job at best. It's got a mustang II, sbc, and a ford 8" rear already. All of which will go and be changed or re done. The chassis has been boxed and primed but it will get a total redo because the work looks crummy. The most unfortunate part is that who ever started this car way back chose to try and do a flip front end:eek: It's is the most horrible fabrication I have ever seen, obviously it will all go.

[​IMG]

Nice seat mounts......not
    [​IMG]

Custom headliner....wow
    [​IMG]

One custom interior, ready for the firepit
    [​IMG]

This is just horrible fabrication, conduit, and solid steel to make this custom shifter unit....lol
    [​IMG]

Once I got everything stripped out and cleaned up inside, the floor is pretty solid and the roof is excellent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I won't be doing anything to this until I finish the coupe but I will be getting it blasted to bare metal in the next couple weeks when I go on holiday. They decided to bondo the rear fenders to the body and bondo'd over small bolt holes and just kept laying it on thick. When I look at the inside panels there isn't much damage so not sure what's with the mud. I'll be much happier when it's blasted and will really have an idea on the condition. I got it for a good price so what can you do.

My plan in the long run is to build it as a custom, probably un-chopped. Something along these lines. I love the look of this one:
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Some people shouldn't be allowed near a car, period. Good luck with the save.

3. i like the flip front... sorry but i do

4. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

That's the awful truth, it's definately savable though.

5. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

I like flip fronts too, but this one is a terrible example of how to do it.

6. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neat car! Lots of 37 parts around. I have a few including a chassis with the Richard Lacy brake conversion if you ever get to Spokane.

7. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

That's good to know, I'll be coming down for the Spokane swap this year.

8. 37 Ford coupes make great looking hot rods. HRP

9. brady1929

brady1929

Congrats on the 37

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Nice start. For that flip front to work without cut fenders, it would have to slide forward-then hinge up, allowing the fenders to clear the door hinges and cowl sides.
    On that note, with the MII front end, etc., I'm surprised the owner didn't get as far as installing hidden door hinges (thank goodness).

11. Working on my 47, I can appreciate why the P/O wanted a tilt. But there is a right way and a wrong way. Looks like there is a lot of potential there.

12. oldskoolshop

oldskoolshop

Put it on the road just like it is! Paint is over-rated and over-priced!

13. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Like your plan. not real sure about the high bondo. Blast it and a little primer goes a long ways. Rust is way over-rated....

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

37 coupes should be built as HOT RODs where I come from. nice down in front rake, bigs and littles. stuff like that.

15. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

16. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

I agree with 49ratfink --- hot rod it with big & littles with a rake. Everyone does them as a custom. Just sayin'.

17. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Well he did shave the door handles, poorly. I couldn't figure out how to get the door open until I stripped all the plywood out and found his hidden electrical wire to pop the door.

Not a chance, this one will get torn right down and started over.

18. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

'37's can be really cool, nice find. I think flip frontends belong on Peterbuilts and and Freightliners though.....

19. n847

n847

Man with your skills this should be a fun one to watch! Glad its getting saved!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

nice score! if there was any more wood in it i may have mistaken it for an early chevy!!

21. aidanfancystang

aidanfancystang
    from calgary

Nice I live a couple blocks away from you and saw your truck leaving on a trailer on Saturday, I was kinda wondering what made that leave the driveway before being finished.

22. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

I had bought the coupe and was going to put it in storage for later this winter, decided to throw my OT 48 up for sale and it sold in 10 hours so I was happy to bring the coupe home. I would have liked to keep everything but space is limited in the suburbs. Eventually I will sell my house and buy the acreage and then I can really start stock piling, lol.

23. aidanfancystang

aidanfancystang
    from calgary

I know the feeling, its retarded how little space we have in front. I have the one car in the garage without a drive train and all my others sitting at my buddies acreage.

24. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Great save there with tons of potential...are you SURE you don't want to keep that plywood headliner ?

25. You're fortunate to find one with floors that solid. Should make a nice car.

26. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

What is a flip front end?
    Thanks
    Jim

27. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah, you could read newsprint through the floor of my '36. Had to cut the whole thing out.

Consider it a gift from the car gods, and a sign that this car is meant for better things than plywood headliners and conduit consoles.

28. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

its when the hood and fenders flip forward.

I was very happy to reveal such a solid floor and roof, this car definitely has potential just need to start over and do it right. Looking forward to taking it and blasting it to bare metal in the next couple weeks, then I'll really know the condition of the rest. Inside panels don't look to bad, but all the bondo on the outer skins is disgusting and so far seemingly a lazy attempt at fixing minor dings and dents.

29. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Sent you a PM

30. A flip front end on a '37. Because it's that hard to open the hood and work over the fenders that instead you need something else sticking up to maybe hit your head on?

The shifter console looks like a good idea with poor execution... but the wood headliner.. it's not a damned boat...