Register now to get rid of these ads!

December salvage yard accident reads like a CSI script!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kellys Hot Rod Parts, Dec 31, 2010.

1. 12/22/10 A 25-year-old Antigo man is in fair condition this morning at Aspirus Wausau Hospital, according a hospital spokesman, following an accident Monday at a rural Marathon County salvage yard.

Shane Tillman went into a car to retrieve an item at Weller’s Auto Salvage, 8978 Bobsiding Road in the town of Franzen, according to the Marathon County Sheriff’s Department. While Tillman was inside the car, a crane operator lifted the car to put it in a crusher, Sheriff's Lt. Dale Wisnewski said this morning.

While the car was in the air and before it was placed in the machine, the crane operator saw Tillman’s legs dangling from the car, Wisnewski said. The crane operator put the car back on the ground, police said.

Tillman suffered non-life-threatening injuries to his shoulder, ribs and legs when he was lifted inside the vehicle by the crane, Wisnewski said.

Frank Winingham, the director of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s Appleton office, said the agency sent an investigator Tuesday to look into the accident.

Mike Weller, who oversees safety at the salvage yard, declined Tuesday to provide additional details of the accident. Weller said OSHA issued a gag order preventing him from speaking about the investigation.

Winingham said the agency never issues a gag order on its investigations.

“They can talk to whomever they want as far as we are concerned,” Winingham said.

2. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

yeah, a bad episode of csi.

3. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

You ever seen a good one? :confused:

Bet that guy had to change his pants afterwards.

4. csi was my favorite show while william peterson was still on it

man that would suck i wonder if it was an overhead crane? in the yard i usede to work at we used a frontend loader

5. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Good that he saw legs. May never have known where the poor guy went other wise. Be on his way to Beijing toaster factory #7.

6. Some people will do anything for a thrill when the amusement parks are closed for the season.:)

7. rottenrods

rottenrods

I bet he about crapped his drawers

8. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Hmmmmm.....maybe he wasn't supposed to be in the car.....Can't imagine letting anyone around when picking up cars to crush....
    ?????

9. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I don't know who to blame here---perhaps everyone. Sure has been some crazy stuff happening lately.

10. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Yeahn really I don't knokw how he even managed to get over there to get into that kind of trouble

That said, yeah, I don't imagine china would have shipped back his remains with a note, if they even found them. Kinda crazy actually.

Lucky, LUCKY guy.

11. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Yeahn really I don't knokw how he even managed to get over there to get into that kind of trouble

That said, yeah, I don't imagine china would have shipped back his remains with a note, if they even found them. Kinda crazy actually.

Lucky, LUCKY guy.

12. Wausau Workplace Accident: Man airlifted following accident at a salvage yard

December 29, 2010 (NewYorkInjuryNews.com - Injury News)

Now it all makes sense!

A work-related accident hospitalized one man, while he was working in a machine used to crush cars. The workplace accident occurred on Monday, December 20, 2010, at Weller’s Auto Salvage, located at 8978 Bobsiding Road in Franzen, as reported by the Wausau Daily Herald.
    Marathon County Sheriff’s officials have released few details surrounding the workplace accident, but they did state a crane operator put a car into a crushing machine, but did not see that an employee had gone into the car to get something.
    The injured worker was airlifted by a helicopter to Aspirus Wausau Hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries. The employee is reportedly still alive.
    Officials stated the man was not dropped or crushed in the accident.
    The identity of the worker is currently being withheld.
    Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is investigating the workplace accident.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  13. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Was it Memphis Raines' kid brother??

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  14. badsix

badsix
    from oregon

it could be real ugly for the salvage yard after OSHA gets done with them

15. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

No, no I haven't.

16. ONAROLL

ONAROLL
    from Oklahoma

screwing around and now OSHA will take a chunk out of the owner, and the parts puller will sue.....

17. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

seems like they should carry a red magnetic flag like on funeral cars and put it on top of the car while they are in it

18. Old Heap

Old Heap

19. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

wonder if the injured guy had a quick shot of deja vu when that chopper lifted off...

20. roundvalley

roundvalley

Do you want to guess how many junk yard dogs that have been compacted?

I know of two.

21. long island vic

long island vic

when i worked for a schreader i used too climb the pile...it was huge...i would go rite to the operator and show him where id be working ,,,or id throw steel at his cab till igot hie addation.....either way it worked cause he would work elsewhere till i signaled him i was done,,,,then he got the 6 pack

22. long island vic

long island vic

when i worked for a schreader i used too climb the pile...it was huge...i would go rite to the operator and show him where id be working ,,,or id throw steel at his cab till igot hie addation.....either way it worked cause he would work elsewhere till i signaled him i was done,,,,then he got the 6 pack

23. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

This guy wasn't so lucky either...

"cranes" in question were giant sawhorses made out of tubing with a chainfall and wheels to remove engines. Dummys who did this ran a 429/C6 combo all the way up and then tried to move it in a yard filled with baseball-sized rocks.

"Cranes" are now gone, but yard is still there.

24. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

The guy went into a car and just 'happened' to get lifted and put in the crusher?!?

Uh huh, sounds like someones idea of a joke if you ask me.

One that went really bad.

if they airlifted him but it wasn't life threatening, all I can figure is he got a limb smushed or something.

When I worked in the oilfield I saw lots of people doing stupid things with heavy equipment. Kinda amazing more people didn't get hurt.

And yes, everybody sued the company.

25. Couple of years ago I was out in a yard trying to locate a T5 transmission. Slipped, fell, and broke my right femur. I guess I could have sued but my lawyer friend said all I could possibly get was 20 heavily mortgaged acres full of junk cars.

26. wonder what he is going to do with his new scrap yard

27. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

when i was rummaging the scrap metal yards in texass, i always gave the electromagnet monster a wide birth.

28. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

I thought OSHA was a small town in Wis.

29. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

Sounds more like 1000 Ways to Die. Only in this case 1000 ways to soil your shorts.