Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Inspiration... Part 3.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. slim53

slim53

I really dig the idea of a vintage Ferrari influenced hot rod. I see a Lincoln V12 under the hood too. I love these inspiration posts!!

Slim

3. Ruiner

Ruiner

The 1st thing I thought of was the Ferrari inspired Deuce roadster in one of the books I have laying around, if memory serves it has a Ferrari inliner, Halibrand mags, Ferrari tan leather and painted that gorgeous deep red...wish I had the book handy for more details... Hot Rod & Custom Chronicles was the name of the book, I think by Thom Taylor...

4. Ruiner

Ruiner

BTW, I absolutely LOVE that shifter lockout and that speedometer!

5. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

Thanks for bring some Europe to the party.

You'd do well to mention the body builder/designers, since each builder had a distinctive look. Earlier in your series, you featured a couple of Ferraris with very American looks, which I'd guess are by Vignale, since that was his (and Ghia's) trademark. Scaglietti and Zagato did a lot of the race cars, while Pininfarina and Bertone did mostly road cars.

BTW this Testa Rossa is over-restored to an extreme degree. TRs were strictly race cars and lived a life of abuse, so didn't get much fine finishing -- and weren't repaired very well when damaged. After a year of racing, they would be sold off to rich amateurs who would thrash them some more.

I reckon that car NEVER, ever looked that good back in the day, and I'd also be surprised if it was black. A private party could order one in any color, but it would take a year to get delivery of what would by then be last year's race car.

6. I always liked the idea of finding inspiration outside the "traditional" rod and custom world... Whether it'd be European sports cars, airplanes or whatever. So I was really impressed to see that 33 or 34 roadster at Brizio's... with more than just a touch of Ferrari. Some pics I took... (I don't know if this car was already discussed here on the HAMB)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the car...
    [​IMG]

more pics... http://www.flickr.com/photos/lowtech/sets/72157614081982208/

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

All team cars were black for Ferrari between '58 and '62... I believe they were dressed for a funeral.

Ferrari Corporate restored this particular example.

8. I love the little details that European race cars have. Many of which I would like to incorporate into my '25 Chev roadster
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  9. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Absolutely agree that the 250 TR is a beautifull exampe of hand crafted artistry, and worthy of it's place in history, but IMHO, a D-type Jag is simply a superior animal.

The speed racer "mach 5" pontoon fenders are just over the top, and too cartoonish.

Having said that, however, it is a noble place to find inspiration.

10. Ruiner

Ruiner

That is the red roadster I mentioned in my 1st post, absolutely gorgeous, it would make sense that Brizio would be the one that built it...

11. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Man that car makes me proud I am half Italian.:D

12. GaryC.

GaryC.

I'm with you Ryan. I did this 'hybrid' car
    for one of the Friday Art Shows about a year ago.

Attached Files:

13. Scott K

Scott K

That car is stunning, esp the overhead shot.

.....and the as long as we're building an imaginary 32, why not imagine that we found one of those beautiful, red headed V-12's to power it.

14. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

The "Red Head" V12, man what a beast. Its like a symphony of intake and exhaust. Great car too. I would take a 250 touring.

15. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

I dig it when you introduce something like this to the board. You can veer off course without losing the intent of the board. we all live and breathe traditional but its nice to stop and smell the roses. True car guys see the beauty in all things automotive, even if it will never get parked in their garage.

16. oaktree

oaktree

Wow! I grew up loving the traditional rods that Ryan has as his "Ideal" as to what a car should look like. I think that his early exposure to these kinds of cars helped formed his appreciation to those marvelous machines. Some where along the time line of his growing to manhood, the type of car he has chosen for todays editorial began to catch my eye, and behold! He loves the old rods and I departed to high tech european hardware. He drives rods and I drive Porsches. Father and Son. So different and yet the same.

17. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

I wonder if that was for his son Dino, who died about that time.

18. The TR and the GTO are always among my favorite Ferrari race car designs. Timeless design and purposeful execution.
    A roadster, (I think even a '34 could work), with a belly pan and detailed as you indicate - sort of car that would be expected to run at the dry lake or salt flats events. Man, you have me dreaming now.
    Thanks,
    Al

19. I believe the attraction to these machines (and ANY other machine, be it an airplane, motorcycle, or some industrial 'factory' machine for that matter) is that they they show craftsmanship. A simple design that does its intended job well, shows thought and care, is always impressive. (at least to a 'mechanical' mind, I believe)

20. Does anybody have any pictures of other European sports cars/racers with similar paint schemes?

Scallops off the headlights, arches, speedlines etc..

21. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

That Ferrari is just...Sex. What would You give for just one track day?
    seriously...not a trip around the block, but a full day of listening, experiencing, driving...no ear protection offered, warranted, or wanted. The bugs on the windshield would have died the most glorious death an arthropod could hope for.

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Man, this stuff hits right in the center of my heart. I have been gathering parts for my '31 Chevy coupe that reflect some of this early european influence.

-Wood Steering wheel (made from an old saw blade to resemble a bell 17" but with a wood ring)
    -'51 Chrysler Double Rocker engine ( Indy used them as well as some European Cunningham cars)
    -Wide Five wheels (chosen because of their strength and resemblance to early Porsche wheels)
    -Simple Distressed Leather interior
    -Log type 4 pot manifold as used in early 50's indy cars
    -Aluminum Blisters riveted on the hood sides to conceal the engine.

I have been so enamored by cars like the example here. I tried to get my brother to appreciate them because they are after all Hot Rods in a sense. Purposeful and fast which is why I love them and Traditional American Hot Rods.

I actually think that posts like this help me (and probably others) to treat a hot rod accordingly. I find myself picking out to many aesthetics when dreaming about my car because I want it to look a certain way. For example, the hood blister on the sides are often very large when dealing with a Chrysler engine and I thought about running a different motor because of that. If that's the complete opposite of what a hot rod is I don't know what is. That is my engine and the car should be built around it as these european car are.

As for the blister on the rail...I'm on it!
    Thanks Ryan!

23. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

Great post, and great read Ryan. That car is pure sex and should be recognized as being awesome.

I get most of my ideas for alot of my photoshoots away from the automotive magazines I even have a little scrapbook of cool ideas that i go to every now and then for inspiration

24. I love the little lever that acts as a reverse lockout. There's probably a couple dozen more bits like that I'd love to find if I had a couple hours to investigate all over, inside and out.

25. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Ah Yes the Italians and there passion for there race cars. I ve read years ago the Ferrari factory would test its F1 cars on the street. Photos show PROVA on the side which I think it means prototype. for legal testing. Years ago the Mesaratti factory when they were heavy into racing would run there dyno all hours of the night and day in the small crowded town. no one complained about the noise. I guess because it really was sweet music!

Ago

26. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

This car from the GNRS seems to follow the euro-sportscar theme, but didn't seem to get much love from the HAMB crowd.

[​IMG]

27. rixrex

rixrex

Many years ago wasn't one of the AMBR winners a red roadster with a Ferrari engine? anyone got pics?

28. kcgreaser

kcgreaser

Poetry in motion.

29. mcload

mcload

I have to totally agree. In fact, the D-Type quickly came to mind as I was viewing these Ferrari pics. (Actually, the Jag XJ13 and XKSS are a close second).

Those are excellent studio photographs Ryan. Where did they come from? Thanks for posting them.

Personally, I'm not quite sure European styles would translate very well, unless you were doing a Cobra. Put a side grille from a Mercedes SL300 gullwing on a 32 Ford hot-rod, and just listen to the howls from this crowd...brutal!! ;-)

Attached Files:

30. rodncustom

rodncustom

If this is what you truly want you MUST go to Monterey in August.