Register now to get rid of these ads!

Milestone Motor: The 1949 Cadillac 331

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 21, 2011.

1. hotrod-steve

hotrod-steve
    from canada

A very high quality engine. I have an old newspaper article about some guy in New York who put over 1 million miles on a 56 Cad with only 1 valve jop. I also read somewhere that Cadillac used better aloys in their blocks.G.M. has always had a strong engineering team and it shows.I drove my 56Cad from Texas up to Canada after it sitting around for 30 yr.I think 331 cads were used in 2nd WW army tanks? Anyway, you cant beat quality!

2. Been running my caddy mill in the 37 for 46 years and it's still running strong. I always say if it blows i'll put my 454 bb in it. Maybe thats whats holding it together.

3. Stromberg WW Backdrafts, mounted forward facing

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, I'm surprised nobody else chimed in. My dear departed Dad was an old hotrodder/racer, him and all of his runnin buddies. They all called OHVs "monkey motion" motors. If you look at the front of that cutaway above, look at the rocker arm/valve relationship, picture a monkey's arms...

5. swissmike

swissmike

Don't think it's a 331 if it's got dual quads. Tell me I'd I'm wring... Wouldn't be the first time.

6. swissmike

swissmike

Thanks everybody for he flywheel recommendations. I know Wilcap also offers new flywheels, but the thought of $350 or so for a steel flywheel needs getting used to. Were manual transmissions an option only in '49?

7. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Cant speak for every year, but I've personally seen a '59 with a 3 on the tree and 3x2v from the factory. Guy who owned it told me it was ultra-rare.

8. Abomination

Abomination

My understanding was that in '53 manual transmissions were phased out in every model but the Series 75 Commercial Chassis, which continued to have them until 1957. At least that's the official word on it from Cadillac.

9. swissmike

swissmike

Good information. That explains why flywheels and manuals are hard to come by for reasonable money.

10. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

LOL I like that ... its always nice to know those little details :D

11. thanks mate i thort they looked like some sort of stromberg. they're cool looking, are they any good?

12. flamingokid

flamingokid

I love those old Caddy motors.Thaks for the great read.

13. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

'CADDY'S WERE THE CHEVY BIG BLOCKS' of thier day! But Olds were the ones we usually got because they were more plentiful, cheaper, and easier to get.

14. Smokey2

Smokey2

"Good Posts", Very Interesting Info...............Thanks!

Was surprised, that Parts for these Engines, are Most Resonable. Good deal !
    Luciel..........
    Smoke'

"rain water, blow'in, under my hood.........,
    Knew, it was doin' MY Motor GOOD..........."

15. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Here's my 1953 Cadillac 331 in my 33 Ford coupe. The second pic is the rebuilt long block.

Attached Files:

16. autobilly

autobilly

[​IMG]
    You're a cool cat Hank!

17. Abomination

Abomination

I think they're pretty awesome... but then again, I have one as my avatar. ;)

~Jason

18. Abomination

Abomination

Absolutely.

They're not THAT hard to come by, if you bark up this tree:

http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/index.php

http://www.professionalcar.org/forums/

If you ask around there, DO NOT tell them it's for anything BUT a replacement for a hearse you're restoring. So you can speak the lingo and fit in, here's a primer on who built what: http://www.coachbuilt.com/

Tell 'em it's for a '57 Miller-Meteor or Superior. ;)

~Jason

19. Gotta love those Caddy motors.

20. badlefihand

badlefihand

331 was one of the engines of choice in the 50s contrary to popular beliefs just does not get enough credit as one of the first. 195 horses (52)and strong.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  21. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I'm sure it was rare, but the manual trans wasn't on GM's option list for that car. The 3x2 carbs were probably from an Eldorado of the day.

I don't have any first-hand knowledge of this, and I haven't done any first-hand research. What I have read about the programs and the people assigned to them is that the Cadillac project was underway before the Olds. Whether Olds ended up having the first running engine I don't know.

In good condition those engines were so quite and smooth there were times you can't tell if it was running. To keep people from trying to re-start an already running engine, the early cars the starter button was disabled when the engine was running.

The car's power should be judged in the context of what else was being made at the time. Compared to most of the cars being made at the same time they were quick.

22. retroauto

retroauto
    from New York

I have a real stupid sounding question for you guys. Just got a 49 caddy model 62 with the original 331. Question is, is it possible for it to not have come with an oil filter? I know most gms had the canister style back then but this ones got nothing. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

23. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The add-on filter is a bypass type filter. It is better than nothing, but not even close to what a modern full flow filter can do. There is no easy way to adapt a full flow filter to the engine. Bottom line, even with a bypass filter, change the oil frequently.

24. Close...WW2 ended in 1945 and the caddy OHV wasn't released 'till '49...but the old sherman tanks used a pair of late 30s-early 40s caddy flatheads in them.

25. EnVoloNosFides

EnVoloNosFides
    from Salem, OR

Hey fellow 331-heads:

I have run into a stumbling block with my 331. I broke some of the teeth off my distributor drive gear (as you probably know, it is the distributor type with the two tabs that fit into the top of the drive gear, which is on the oil pump shaft) when pulling the original cam. I tried to have a machinist pull the gear when he was machining the cylinders, but he said he couldn't get it out of the top. Have since rebuilt the engine but realized that I need to replace the drive gear with the broken teeth.

I am having a hell of a time finding one - I keep finding GM and early chevy gears, but am unsure if they will work. Can anyone help me out with this?

THANKS!!!

26. EnVoloNosFides

EnVoloNosFides
    from Salem, OR

The one on the bottom has the tabs that I was talking about that fit into the drive gear.

Attached Files:

27. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Send a PM to GMCBubba. He will get you sorted.

28. sololobo

sololobo

These Caddys are so cool. I have always thought it was the ultimate early o.h.v hot rod mill. Just the prestige of the Caddy name is neat. I had a 49 Olds coupe with it's little 303 that ran very hard as well. I had a 46 Ford tu-door sedan with a 53 Merc flatty that was quite warmed up and the stock Olds would smoke it. Love that big ol Caddy with the amazing LeMans finish, also dig some old film footage of those road races with the big Caddys and Olds tearing it up. Nice to hear the Offy two deuce manifold is still available as well. Excellent thread. ~sololobo~