Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Chrome reverse wheels on 60s customs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Philbilly, Feb 23, 2011.

1. monsterflake

monsterflake

i was looking at the new R&C this morning and saw this sweet black '40 with chrome wheels. i thought "damn, that looks awesome! why do people think they need any more than that?" then i looked up and laughed when i saw the owner's name. no wonder!

[​IMG]

2. Love your '60!

3. Philbilly

Philbilly

You've had a lot of cool rides! That Dodge truck looks great. You never see too many of those body style trucks. Also, that '40 Ford is simply awesome! Black with chrome wheels and www tires is a perfect combo for that car.

4. I grew up (kinda) in socal, in '64 it was www tires on black wheels and blackjack hub caps. If you ran full caps then the edge of the wheel was painter red. Blackwalls or narrow whites on chrome wheels and astros.

5. My '60 fuelie/ 4 speed/ posi/ 2 tops vette in my Dads driveway in 1963.
    I wonder what I ever did with the stock hub caps?

[​IMG]

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

chrome reverses rock!
    [​IMG]

7. McPhail

McPhail

I got mine from wheelkid too.....i think..... what's the official name of his company?....... anyways, it took six weeks, but they had the beveled rims for the rear tires and the chrome is great. even between the lugnut area...... my favorite wheels I have ever owned......

8. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

It's a Bel-aire, the sedans were always my favorite. Gary

9. There is a picture of my car with my wheels and my old firestone skinny white radials, and there are pictures of my car with chrome wheels and my f78-14 2-1/4" wide whites. I dunno, I like them both ways, but like everyone says, depends on the era you're looking for, as well as the region.

10. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Thanks Steve

The current owner actually has it for sale in the classifieds now

Ralley America, great place to buy wheels and I think he's an alliance member

11. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

Here's my '60 with chrome steelies, all I'm waiting for is some US Royals like mentioned in another thread.:D

Attached Files:

12. Had a long talk with the folks at Diamondback about whitewall width. They recommend for anything after '61 their 1 + 1 whitewall. 1" width that is 1" off the tire rim. Love a chrome reverse. Very popular wheel back in the '60s here on the East Coast.

I started out with the Coker WWW, but have now switched to the 1 + 1 from Diamondback. Looks good with the chrome reverse.

13. Philbilly

Philbilly

I talked with Diamondback as well and that's where I'm going to get my 1" whitewalls. I also talked with Rally America and they told me to decide what backspace I wanted and they would make me a set of chrome reverse wheels. I also get 10% off for being a alliance member. What backspace would y'all recommend for my '64 Biscayne?

14. maybe these ! Brad's pic sorry !

Attached Files:

15. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

agreed

16. Are you going with a true reverse? Mine are standard wheels with a little extra off-set, but not true reverse wheels.

17. Philbilly

Philbilly

I spoke with Rally America and they said they can make me a set of chrome reverse wheels. All I need to do is tell them what backspace and he said it would take 3 weeks to do them. What backspace should I use?

18. Back in the '60's a "double reversed" wheel had the center reversed, and as much off set to the outside as the drop center on the rim would allow, and they always were 14" rims. Looked great but was sure hard on wheel bearings.

19. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

^^ Hmm.... thanks for that info.^^

I am trying to get ahold of Wheelkid right now to commission two more wheels. Waiting on an email response, but I heard thats standard when doing business with him. He has the best wheels from what I have heard too though.

20. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

I thought it was "chrome don't get you home" !!:D

21. I will be running some chrome reverses on my 56 Nomad. These vintage blunt bullets by Cal Custom are period perfect 60"s

Attached Files:

22. Here's the difference in a regular wheel and a reverse wheel, what Ralleye America calls their Tapered Outer Rim wheel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The reverse wheel looks completely different because most of the offset is now on the outside of the mounting hub. I have 7" regular chrome wheels on my '61. But if I went with a true reverse wheel, I'd probably go with 6". And as Dean has pointed out, the reverse wheels can be hard on the wheel bearings. I'd follow the wheel manufacturers suggestions on the offset.

23. Philbilly

Philbilly

With that said, what backspacing would you recommend for my '64? I'm going to run 15" wheels. I have 14s right now.

24. 57283

Nice 60 Cincinatti Slim!

25. livin' old school

livin' old school
    from MN

Just wanted to say that I am a HUGE chrome reverse fan and have had a few hot rods over the years that I have put them on. I hope my attachment showing you the gasser I recently sold that featured custom made 15X5 and 15X10 chrome reverse wheels makes it on here(first time trying to post a pic on here). I also had them on a 57 Chev 2 dr wagon that I owned for 22 years. Just plain chrome reverse are the ticket for me(like good ol' American Graffiti), I have never cared for the smoothies, or center caps on mine at all. But, it's all good!!

Attached Files:

26. novadude

novadude

I would LOVE to find a set of those. I don't suppose anyone reproduces that style?

27. monsterflake

monsterflake

they show up on e-bay once in a while, i sold the last complete sets i had a month or two ago.

i put an nos set on the blue '60 belair. it has supremes on it now, maybe the guy selling it still has the wheels and spiders...

28. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Loved those blunt nose spiders Steve, it's the only set I've ever owned. If I'd known that guy was going to replace them with other wheels I would have liked to keep them.
    Should say Steve gets the credit for setting up that blue 60, I just massaged it a bit. Steve has great taste in cars. The 60 as it sits today for sale is not nearly as cool with those small supremes. Gary

29. That your van Coby? Bitchin!

30. Philbilly

Philbilly

With a standard chrome oe wheel having a backspace of about 4 1/2, how much backspace should I get for a chrome reverse wheel?