Register now to get rid of these ads!

Respectully, HAMB still needs a Customs Section

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Pro Stock John, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Hot Rod vs. Custom threads are like 4 : 1.

Not to be nerdy, but I'm really losing interest and I'm seeing a big drop in customs threads on here, I don't think I'm the only one.

John, a chopped 51 Merc on the North side of Chicago

2. I really don't think much has changed over 50 or 60 years. Rods always out numbered customs.

3. rods are easy.... customs are too hard for most

4. I'm glad you said it and not me!

5. I think you see less customs because in all reallity it takes 4 times the work to build a custom than it does a hot rod. Don't get me wrong I love hot rods but customs are a ton of work. I think us custom car guys are just a little different we are a gluttin for punishment and dont like seeing the light of day.

6. Respectfully agreed. :)

7. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

^^^YES, Me too!^^^

8. Special Ed

Special Ed

Really? It wasn't that way in my neighborhood, during the fifties and sixties. I suppose it might have something to do with your location, or something ... :rolleyes:

9. -Brent-

-Brent-

I don't get why you'd want the forums split. Why not just add content to the main forum? It's content (i.e., something new to look at/read) you're looking for, right?

10. I suppose you could be right.

California, as far as I know, always had way more customizers than anywhere else.

But then, what you're saying is that customs out numbered rods???

11. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

A kustom car forum is supposed to be launched this fall, the traditionalist kustom car forum.

12. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Sounds good to me.

13. If they weren't mixed in how many new hot rodders would even know about the world of customs and vise versa ? I'm an old custom guy and have learned much about the early hot rods with the sites current structure . The real hard core guys on either side of the coin still appreciated the work that goes into any of these cars. There are several custom car social groups here on the HAMB but they have an almost nonexistant participation. What are you hoping to see accomplished by having a custom only section ?

14. I wasn't really sure what the opening post meant.A custom only section ? I thought you meant just more customs in general. I think even a custom only section would still be very split because of all the guys that like period style and guys that like modern customs.

I personally think customs are just shrinking in general .

15. I would split out customs on here, I do key word searches like "Merc" and "Mercury" and I do subscribe to threads, but it's threads like about other aspects to these cars and other makes and models that get buried so fast.

Much respect.

16. squirrel

squirrel

No matter if your interests are hot rods or customs, only a small percentage of threads are pertinent. There's an awful lot of other BS here. I suggest keeping the customs in with everything else, it makes the place interesting, like palosvc3 says. I like looking at some of the custom stuff.

They let both hot rods and customs into the same shows in the old days too, eh?

17. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Isn't that what the thread prefix is for??
    Go under the advanced search and do a prefix search. Problem solved

18. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You don't see as many customs because they are so gawddamn hard to block sand....

-Abone.

19. Model T1

Model T1

I'm old, I've messed with cars all of my life and still don't know where the line is between rods and customs. The stuff I drive and work on is far from hot rods. To me I've always been into restoring and customizing cars. Yet people often call my junk hotrods. So far none have called them R*& rods !
    I like this fourm just the way it is. We learn from both groups.

20. jerseymike

jerseymike

what exactly does this mean? by ryan? elsewhere? any info?

21. Skirv

Skirv

I know a fellow or two with nice customs that aren't interested in posting them on here because the custom (or kustom if you prefer) interests seem to be so narrowly focused in their opinion. There just aren't going to be that many cars perfectly built in the early 48-52 style. I tend to agree with them somewhat. Most things outside of that range aren't received all that well. I personally like all the eras as long as the cars are tasteful. I too would like to see more customs and threads related to them. I have one of each, a hotrod and a kustom.

22. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I disagree .. Less customs

23. Model T1

Model T1

I disagree with your disagreement....... More customs or kustoms.:D

24. Oh come on, surely your finger prints have grown back by now. :D

25. Rikster

Rikster

What I liked about the HAMB is that it was a shared forum. Hot Rods, Drag Cars and Custom Cars had their place on here.
    For a long time it was a really great place for Custom Cars, and when you checked out the threads there where some posts done by Hot Rodder's who remembered Custom Car stuff from way back when. Or guys who did not care about Customs but had some old photos that might be interested. This was what made the combination really interesting. If you have a Customs Only board things like this will be missed. Or simply the old photos that are posted on some of the Hot Rod threads that show really great cars in the back ground etc.

But over the last years or so (perhaps even longer) things have changed when it comes to customs on the hamb. I cannot really put my finger on what happened. But it seams to me that there is no support among the custom car viewers anymore. If you want a Custom Car thread to be on the first couple of pages then you need to support the thread. And a BUMP does not do the trick.

Personally I like everything Custom Car. I sure have a prefer style and or period. But when a car is tastefully done or built by a well know or not so well know customizer I like to take a closer look and discuss the subject. No matter in which style or which techniques are being used to create it.
    I know that this board is about tradition... but what is that! And how important is that.

Right now there is a group of people that like to use bags to lower the cars. We have the laying frame movement which is both liked and disliked on here.
    But I have the feeling that what most people forget is that all these styles and movements have the same back ground, the same history. And some of the newer people might know about the history and know why they are doing stuff. Others might not.

If a laying frame stocker is a Custom or not is worth a discussion, I know how I feel about it, and I know how some other people feel about it. But if the posting about this stuff is not being supported on here the Custom section on the Hamb will die!
    Things like this need to be discussed and Custom car threads need to be supported, if you like the subject or not. If you do not comment threads will disappear before you can count to ten.

I have seen really great Custom Car threads with amazing information die within the day, not because nobody watched the. But simply because nobody cared to add a word or two.
    Thats why I like Facebook. A simple Like brings you a long way.

But nothing can beat a good mixed message board like the HAMB. But if you like to have Custom Cars to be part of it. You need to step up and support - positive or negative - each and every Custom Car related post!

My two cents.

26. .......Well said, Rik. I don't see how anyone could complain about any lack of custom content on here if they don't get involved and support the threads that do get started.:)

27. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Just wait until the man posts his newest acquisition Riviera and some of his plans and see how many of you guys don't post about it.

Hot Rods or Customs - all good to me.

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have been a hot rod guy all my life and I attempted to build my first custom a few years ago, only due to the fact, that I knew so many custom guys on this board. I have a new found respect for a good custom.

It was way harder than I thought. I would love to build another one, but I will have to do some apprentice time before I attempt it again.

29. Me too, Cob. I grew up in Southern Cal in the 50s and early 60s and there were plenty of both.

30. It's more about bandwidth.

I've owned my own forums and I would have split hot rods and customs last year. I think traffic has really increased in the few years I've been here.

I am less likely to pop open a thread about something a little outside of my interests (like spotlights) simply because those threads are fewer.