Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Project - Hemi Powered 1934 Ford Five Window Highboy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsir, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Since I have started working on the '34 in earnest I thought I would start a build thread. I need to catch up to a few other builds on the HAMB and this has car has been sitting on the back burner way too long.

Last month I took the car down to the shop and it looked like this.

[​IMG]

Last Sunday I pulled the body, stripped the chassis and laid it up on the work table. I really did not like some of the work I did on the original X member, so I am starting with a new X kit from Jim Wiemer, taking out the 4 bar rear and changing to a ladder bar rear.

[​IMG]

I started by squaring up the X member kit on the table and tacking some support braces in place in areas that I didn't think would interfere with the cross tubes, and tranny crossmember.

Next I scribed a centerline on the table, and two additional lines parallel to it that were the same width as the middle of the x member. On these centerlines I tacked two 3x3 pieces of square tubing that act as a jig to center the X on the Table.

Then I centered the frame on the table and tacked it in place, and started to trim the X member with a cut-off wheel, first the lower legs, and once they were trimmed the X dropped down over the 3x3 tubing. Then I trimmed the upper legs and it fell right in place centered off the 3X3 tubing.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the 3X3 tacked to the table and the rectangular cross braces tacked to the x member.

[​IMG]

Now I can play with the final placement of the center cross bar, ladder bar crossmember and the tranny crossmember before I weld them in place.

I got the x member dropped down and tacked in place. I need to make a plate for the one lower rear tube to attach to.

[​IMG]

Next will be to get the rear set-up with the ladder bars.
    [​IMG]

And then after that, I change the front over to an I beam and hairpins, and get the 392 HEMI mocked up with the 4 speed. I think I might be able to use the existing motor tabs I made for the BBC, but I may add a tube under the oil pan.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. Lookin Good! Redliner approved!

3. I hope it launches like your stude

4. damnfingers

damnfingers

Subscribed...hope you make it worth my while!

5. The pressure is on:)

6. 60 ford

60 ford

Going to be an awesome car, good luck with your build.

7. Looks good man, glad to hear of the progress!

8. Uptown83

Uptown83

Look forward to your progress. I love 33/34s!

9. brady1929

brady1929

Looks awesome

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Never like to see a BBC replaced but since your installing a Hemi.........all is forgiven.:) Keep the updates coming.

Frank

11. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

This one is headed in a whole new direction.
    A better direction.

12. Thanks, I'll try to get some pics of the motor next weekend.

13. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

Lookin good!!! Keep up the good work!!!

14. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Good looking project!!!!

15. New Update. Yesterday and today I worked on getting the ladder bar set-up tacked in. This took considerable more time than I anticipated as I had to change how I had the frame tacked to the table in order to make room for the ladder bars.

I also discovered my X member was "racked" just a little. So I broke the tack on the driver side and use a strap to pull it forward slightly. This cleared up measurement error I was finding.

That allowed me to get the ladder bar x-member in place. I clamped the bars to the steel stock and piece of railroad tie, to hold them perpendicular, and used a piece of 1" steel tubing underneath the front of the bars to set their height.

After checking the wheelbase, and a hundred more diagonal measurements I tacked everything up.

New Axle and Hairpins should be here tomorrow. I hope to get that tacked up during the week and get the rear housing tacked in place as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. damnfingers

damnfingers

17. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

it's gotta be the angle of the shot,but that 2nd pic looks kinda wacked. frame looks good

18. Yeah, its the lens doing some funky stuff.
    Got to see if the UPS guy drops the axle and hairpin off today..
    s

19. New Axle and Hairpins showed up today on UPS. I went with So Cal hairpins. They have the integral cast stainless bat-wing, shock mount, panhard, and I got one of their forged axles. Nice stuff.

I adjusted the bars so they were the same length on both sides and installed them on the existing spring.

I have the frame at a rake that is at ride height, and I got the spring partially compressed. With this I have 6 degree caster. I'll probably get another degree at full compression.

I got the bars squared up, stopped short of tacking them tonight. I'll need to trim the 4 bar brackets off as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Next will be to put the ford or dodge shock mounts on the frame. Looking sharp bro.

21. Ive been thinking about that too. I have a set of Dodge shock mounts....somewhere around here

22. I keep making progress. I final welded the X and the ladder bar mount. I need to make some boxing plates for the bottom lower bars.

Got the ladder bars tacked to the rear end, and removed the front four bar brackets and welded the hairpin mounts on. I need to box the area by the hairpin as well.

Starting to shape up. I think I will change shock mounts and the possibly the rear panhard.

I'd like to run a anti roll bar. Any suggestions?

Heres a few pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

This build is BADASS, dont know how I missed it. Keep her goin man , its gonna be KILLER!

Subscribed!!!

24. Hotrodderman

Hotrodderman

Hey. Its looking really good! It looks like you have gotten more done in the last two weeks than you did in the last 10 years. I helps to have a little more room to work.
    Keep us updated.

25. Just came home for lunch, I got the rear boxing plates extended and the tube cut and tacked, and I got the mid-tube cut, fishmouthed and tacked in place.
    D RoD I have been following your build.....That's a wicked coupe.

I have...I think its the new shop, not a lot of visitors, though Jim Z has stopped by a few times. Is your engine hoist free? I need to get the Hemi down the garage

26. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 4 bar never bothered me, but the hair pins are WAAAY more better..

Dig the clamp on spindles too...

Nice work, -Abone.

27. I was using the clamps to hold my tape measures. After I posted the pics I noticed they look like plastic spindles:rolleyes:

28. This mornings work. I may run another cross tube with a drive shaft hoop, and I will be making some roll bar brackets for the frame too.

[​IMG]

29. Hotrodderman

Hotrodderman

I have...I think its the new shop, not a lot of visitors, though Jim Z has stopped by a few times. Is your engine hoist free? I need to get the Hemi down the garage[/QUOTE]

Yes, the engine hoist is free. Should be home Sunday afternoon, working on kids car.

30. More thinking than doing today. I got the tranny semi-mocked on place. I did not get the engine to the shop today.

[​IMG]