Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mighty Mo or Hot Shoppes photo?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J. Fitzhugh, Jun 14, 2010.

1. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Does anyone have a photo that they can share, preferebly from the late fiftis or sixties, of any of the Mighty Mo or Hot Shoppes in and around Washington DC? These were early crusie locations. Thanks for any help.

dana barlow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. Charcoal Pit Restaurant on Rt 202 in Delaware -- has The Original Hot Fudge Ice Cream Cake !

Just like back in the late 50's when i went with my family to 69th Street Upper Darby,Pa Hot Shoppes !!

3. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Oh man, i loved Mighty Mo's and the french fries with gravy were great. I used to have a window tray from there. The Hot Shoppes in the Shirlington shopping center (Arlington, Va.) was the one I hung around. Sorry, no pictures.

4. Been looking for a comparable hot fudge ice cream cake ever since the Hot Shoppes all went away. We always hung out at the Capital Plaza Hot Shoppes (Landover Hills, Md.) with occasional cruises to the Mighty Mo in Queenstown (Hyattsville). Sorry, no pics, just lots of memories......What town on Rt 202 in Delaware is that....I'm gonna have to make that trip?:)....Thanks, Don.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.

5. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Awesome. I used to work at Shirlington Texaco. The closest I can come to a Hot Shoppes pic is this one from the 2nd annual car show at Rosenthal Chevrolet. At least it's in the DC area.

Attached Files:

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  6. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

That's a very cool pic. Any idea who that is or info about the truck? Do you happen to remember a white primered '39 Ford cabriolet that used to run around there?

7. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

I don't know anything about the pic. My brother found it on a site for folks that grew up in Arlington. I just thought is was cool.

My era was 70s. Can't help you with the '39 Ford. It was pretty much all musclecar stuff then.

Remember this place?

Attached Files:

8. 41hemi

41hemi

Hey Jay--- Tommy Mills used to go to Mighty Mo's back in the day. Maybe he'll see this thread and conjer(sp?) up some pics! BTW, got my radiator recored..... Al

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Jay if you do find a picture of the Queenstown Mo please let me know. This was on top of the sign at the Queenstown Mo.

There were reunions for a few years by some of the original Mo rats. They even made teen twist's and the Orange freeze. I missed them all. I had been hearing about an art gallery that had pictures of the Mo so I went last year. He puts on a small car show every year.

They turned out to be artist conceptions of the Mo. Nothing that he had looked like the QT Mo. He had some paintings of the Hot Shoppes too. I was the only one there that actually was a QT Mo rat. There were some people there from the Wheaton Mo. I think it was the District Hight's Mo that had the most competition for the QT cars.

10. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Tommy,

I will let you know what I find.

Hog Mtn Dave

Very cool shot

41hemi

I bet it runs a little cooler now! I heard about the '55. Paybacks are a bitch!

11. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I remember that place very well. All the brothers from Green Valley came there for the half-smokes. Good grub and cheap too. I don't want to derail this thread too much but, we also had the Dixie Pig for great Bar-B-Q. Hell, we ate pretty good back then....:D

12. 41hemi

41hemi

Hey Hotrod Mike---are you remembering the DixiePig off of Queenstown Rd. in Anne Arundel Co? That place had cardboard lined walls and a dirt floor...I'll never forget it... they had GREAT ribs!!!! If you wanted a drink they got it out of a cooler on the ground next to the cash register. The cooking was done in a pit outback that could be seen from the picnic tables in the dining room. The county finally shut them down I heard. What a great memory!

13. Do search online --there are people keeping it going and have get togethers re; Hot Shoppes

Search-- it it's on there

14. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Naw, the Dixie Pigs I was referring to were in Alexandria. They were actual restaurants with floors and jukeboxes :D

15. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Mighty Mo

Attached Files:

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

One of my proudest achievements of my youth happened inside the Mo one night. All the hoodlums would take the pickle chip out of the Mo and sling it like a frisbee against the big glass windows. It would hit and slide up and stick to the glass. It was the special sauce that did it...1000 island dressing.:D

The really nice older eastern European waitress named Edith would get sooo upset. We teased her unmercifully but I think see kinda enjoyed the sparring. She was a waitress but always took on the responsibility to get a napkin and clean the windows when she spotted a pickle. She was good people.

I got a pickle to stick to the glass of a14" clock with a perfect shot one night. A once in a lifetime shot.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  17. Makes my mouth water just looking at that luscious Mighty Mo,Tommy.......Don.:)

18. Just found this thread...lotsa memories coming back. We cruised Arlington in the early 60's I remember the Hot Shoppes in that area, but we mostly cruised Topps Drive in on Glebe Road and Lee Highway. I went to the Rosenthal Show every year, even had my '63 Chevy pinstriped at one of the shows.
    I can't remember the name of the club that put on that show??
    Hot Shoppes had the Mighty Mo and Topps had the Sirloiner. Great eatin'! with fries and an orange freeze:p.
    I remember a local radio station use to broadcast there (at Topps) some nights and you could call in dedications, I think it was WEAM Radio then.
    I was a member of the "DUSTERS" Car Club, had my '51 Ford Convertible then and drove my dads red '60 Chevy convertible later if I was lucky.
    We use to drag on "H" road down by the Pentagon, the Federal Cops never bothered to chase us too often, we even had a 1/4 mile marker painted on the road.
    Sorry to ramble...us old farts do that:rolleyes: Sorry no photos, but I think there is a book out on Arlington history that has some photos of the Shirlington Hot Shoppes.

19. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Oh yeah, Tops drive in. The Sir Loiner was awesome. A pal of mine ate 5 of those bad boys one night to settle a bet. I still have the salt and pepper shakers I swiped from there. :) Weam was the radio station with JA the DJ (Jack Alex). He passed some time ago. Or WDON if you could get a clear signal.
    There are probably sites with pictures of the various restaurants in the DC, MD, and VA area from back then. Man, life was good back then. Young and dumb and, well, you know the rest. :D

20. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

HA ha ha We did the same thing at the one in Shirlington. Must have been a universal sport. We also had a guy that made an art form out of finding just the right table and Mooning it from outside. Everybody knew it was coming but it was hilarious every time. Guy was nuts...:D

21. STILL OLD

STILL OLD
    from tennessee

I met My first wife at the Hot Shoppes in Alexandria Va. I wish more people knew Her, so they could hate Her too!!!

22. Any pics of cars parked with tray hanging on door waiting for order to be delivered

23. What's her name? Maybe we do know her:eek:

24. Anybody else have any stories, memories, or pictures from when we all cruised the Hot Shoppes and Mighty Mo Drive-ins around the Washington D.C. area? This would have been from the late 50's through late 60's. Any stories of drag races in the area? It's okay, the statute of limitations has expired but feel free to leave out names if you fear the law might still be looking for you....Don.

25. Old Racer 35

Old Racer 35
    from virginia

grew up in arlington went to wakefield had a lot of buddies over the years that have worked at shirlington texaco ,how about the broiler across from rosenthal good steak and cheese.went to jacks junkyard on 4 mile run drive ,and used j&m auto parts .
    weenie beanie rt down the street.last hot shoppes i remember close was at baileys crossroads

26. Used to go to the Mighty Mo in Queenstown in my 60 Corvair, hardly a hot rod but I bought it from Dick Burgess the nitro tuner for the Wheeler Dealer 1 and Nasty II. I worked for Dick and Bill Ford at Precision Engines, their first employee! But that's another story.

Girlfriend, Hot Fudge Ice Cream Cake from Hot Shoppes, then parking somewhere dark for a couple of hours...nice way to pass an evening.

www.highspeedmotorsports.com

27. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Boy do I know those places. Lived on 18th St. Worked at Shirlington Texaco, went to Jacks and J&M. Prefered Pizza Pantry to the Broiler though. There was a Hot Shoppes on Columbia Pike, but it changed to a Big Boy by the time I was driving. We're about the same age. Must have some mutual friends.

28. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The New Hampshire Mo. It was on New Hampshire ave. Someone posted this picture since this post first started. We'd ride up here when the manager kicked us out for not buying enough food at the Queenstown Mo. Spend a 1/2 hour or so and then ride back to start the clock ticking again.:D Nowhere near the street racing reputation as the Queenstown Mo had. I'm still looking for a picture of the Queenstown Mo.

You don't want to get me started about the street racing that was generated at the Queenstown Mo.

29. Harpoon

Harpoon

I grew up in Cheverly across the WW Bridge in PG County. We hung out at Hot Shoppes at Capital Plaza, off BW Parkway and Rt 450 in the early days . I am 52 now and I think it had stopped or wound down around 74 or so. They put an end to it.

Street racing at Ardmore Ardwick Industrial Park, Route 50 West bound, Z street in DC (early days) to name a few.

McDonalds in Lanham was later spot. Laurel, Bowie we went everywhere.

I was looking for some archive pictures today and found this thread. I am a HAMB member but not active so thought I would post this thread BELOW that has some pictures of some of the old establishments in the Metro area. It brought back some memories when seeing the signs and buildings.

No car pis though! I know some people must have a shoebox full...it would be nice to find some.

HARPOON

http://dcgrocery.multiply.com/photos/album/6/other_DC_retail_Capital_Centre

30. Clik

Clik

[​IMG]

I haven't found anywhere on-line where I can listen to this but thought it interesting.

I lived a few blocks from the Mighty Mo in Queenstown (Hyattsville,MD) but was really too young to hang at the Mo. I'd sneak down there to get a glimpse of the cars or get a burger once in a while but usually the Burger Chef around the corner was all my teen funds allowed.

Last time I was by there the lot was still vaccant.