Register now to get rid of these ads!

Impromptu Reliability

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. DrJ

DrJ

I usually have a more fun time when a small group of "us" get together and go on some fun excursion rather than the "This [event] would be "better" if there was a couple thousand more cars here." kind of mentality.

Thanks, Ryan, for showing another little part of what is actually important.

3. Zumo

Zumo

Looks good good times. Thanks for the write up very cool.

4. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

This sounds like the kind of perfect day that most of us need to make time for. FWIW, Franco's build of the original "Kookie Car" is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

You fellers are da shit.... awesome.

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Nothing wrong with a large event but it's the little get-togethers that produce the best memories. After a couple of years not doing some of these the Northern GMB's are planning on reviving some of the best times we've had with our hot rods. Usually after breakfast on Saturday morning we'll head out to a spot 30 or more miles away and take the backroads. It's usually a round of pictures at the site and a short break to relax (a cold Mt. Dew, a bag of chips and some BS). After a while its discussed how to get back home. Sometimes it's another destination with backroad travel and stops when it "feels right". If lunch is in order it's on to the "spot". About 2-3 oclock it's usually time to head back and individually or a group it's again on the back roads (trying to take a different way) to return home.
    None of us can remember why we stopped doing this but I'm convinced it will once again become a part of our Sat. routine, at least on an occasional basis.
    We've talked about getting together with groups from different areas and meeting at a common place for lunch much like the sporatic Birch Run, MI Breakfast we do a couple of times a year. Good times!

Frank

7. NoSurf

NoSurf

That's what it is all about right there.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I say it again and again. You guys in Austin are the envy of the rest of us around the world. There is always something interesting going on and this outing is just further evidence of it. Lone star seems like a blast but it's not all that goes on there. I hope that post like these inspire the rest of us to go out and do things like these guys. Good friends, Good Times, Good Meat. Great post.

9. Right on, Ryan! Wish I was there! No rules, no traffic, no hassles, just a drive in the country is the best. Even if you just take off solo someday after work for a drive, you will get the hot rod juices flowing again and forget the daily grind.

10. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

That was just what the doc ordered after the Round Up. Picture perfect day. Great way to spend 10hrs of your life. 150 miles or so on the super scenic back roads, no problems w/ any of the rides to speak of, and listening to Mural(Merle) and Norm's stories through out the day are always priceless. Don't go to Canada w/ those two. This pic is my favorite for obvious reasons. Let's do it again..........

Attached Files:

11. Rusty

Rusty

Too Cool!!!!

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Well shit... I spelled Mural's name wrong - didn't I? Damn editor of mine...

13. farm boy

farm boy
    from reedley

Now that's the way to start my day, neighbor fires up his drag car at 7 am, blips the throttle going into his garage (next to my office), have my surf music blastin' away, sit down to the Hamb and see this thread, WOW, INSPERATION. I'm outahere, time to weld.
    Neat old cars, beautiful weather, good friends, COOL! That mr. Franco's T, He nailed it, JEE WHIZ.
    Thank you Ryan, OLY

The cancer car lives
    Give to cancer research

14. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Wow, cool, glad I met most of the guys, pictured, at the round up this year.

15. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

Great pics and must have been a great time.

16. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Damn, I wish the weather would break up here soon!

Cool pics. Jealous for sure...

17. Von Franco

Von Franco

Doing stuff like that is what I live for.Sence we moved here I haven`t had much time to get out and just gooooo.And man it was great the cars ,the food and the people.Can`t wait to do it again im working on the car as we speak just checking everything and making sure nothing flew off the car lol.Norm and his side kick Merle just made my day
    thoes two should rite a book,well maybe not cuz it would be x rated lol...............

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Norm is one cool cat!!!.....

19. Franco's T kicks ass. Great look and stance.

20. donnie

donnie
    from NC

How does Franco keep that derby on when driving? :confused:

Thanks for the cool story and pics.

21. Ryan,
    Thanks for the report.....I'm really glad that ya'll made it out, and even more glad that ya'll had a good time:D. I only wish that I could have made the trip with you(but I "had" to fly there, and I live just a few miles east of Burnet....would have been a looong cruise:eek:).
    Thanks for the shot and words of me walking up to "you bunch of hoodlems".
    I'll make sure that I post something for next years Air Show, and for those who want to get up close to the planes:D, come between 9 and 12, when the flight line goes "sterile", per the FAA.
    Skot

22. McTullis

McTullis

Just got word that there's a possible local fly-in down in San Marcos on April 24th. The Yellow Rose B-25 is in immaculate shape and is spotless right now...worth going to see. I believe it'll be similar to the show Ryan and Steve and co. went to last year. I'll get more details soon if interested.

P.S. I was the bearded youngster that introduced myself to Ryan at Burnet. I didn't know how to handle such company of greatness so i just stuck with him :D

23. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

That was the most fun I had in a long time....... I even got to take a nap. haha

Thanks for letting me come along.........It was an honor. I can't wait to go on a drive like that again..... you guys all rule!

Sometimes its good to be in Texas.

24. BLAKE

BLAKE

You guys rule.

25. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious

It was a good little air show, and you couldn't beat the weather. Glad I saw your post Skot, upset I didn't pack the sunscreen. Next time Ryan, I'll join you instead of just driving by.....I did stop for a minute..​

Attached Files:

26. "SOMETIMES:eek:".....Hey, you're a "makeshift Texan" now.....no more snow for you....hahaha

I keep sunscreen in the Stearman....just ask for some....its too easy to get burned:cool:

27. autobilly

autobilly

Ryan, looks like you guys had a blast. You sure run with some fine machines!
    Franco's car is wild. Really good crisp photo's.