Register now to get rid of these ads!

Inspiration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i tend to be inspired by alot of art deco designs
    trains, aircraft, ships, furniture, etc.
    [​IMG]

3. pitman

pitman

This fellow is a pioneer in multihull sailboat design. For six years I had the privilege of running the occasional calculation for him. Kind of like working under the wing of Enzo.
    http://wingo.com/newick/

4. Two areas where form and function meet and are well balanced in my opinion. Zen minimalism can be all fine and good but why make it square when you can just as easily make it pleasing to the eye.

Attached Files:

5. 54BOMB

54BOMB

In the last month since I got my 64 ford these guys have inspired me the most to get involved with my car and what I want to do with it, lately I just cant get enough of early and mid 60's ford racing.

Attached Files:

6. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  7. Django

Django
    from Chicago

No surprise here... all things pre and immediately post WWII and everything in between...

[​IMG]

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm a big fan of design. My favorites seem to be from the 30's, 40's and 50's. There is something to those times that is missing in modern design. I like colors, the style, the lines.... It's simpler, cleaner, I get inspired when I see it, I get inspired when I look at how much they did with the technology at hand.

Attached Files:

9. I love to study the designs,styles,textures and finishes from different automotive genres...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. 53burb

53burb

The furniture "ZEN" has spoken. Dreadman, this is right up your ally. Ya got any BANNER' for sale? KNUX!

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a neat thread! I like this!

I get a lot of inspiration from all things mechanical. Something some of you may find as strange and unusual that has inspired me is the graceful construction style of early time pieces. The way the frames are cast/constructed, style of the gears, the gizmo factor and the way things were painted all wrapped up into one functional piece. Mechanical art that has been functional for 100's of years! Take a gander...

(all pictures from Mark Frank's "My Time Machines" website)

WILLIAM POTTS, LEEDS, ENGLAND. 1900. Model No. 7
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ARSENE CRETIN, MORBIER (JURA) FRANCE, 1903

[​IMG]

Check out the engine turning
    [​IMG]

LUDWIG. HAINZ, PRAGUE, CZECHOSLOVAKIA, 1907

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you want to see more, here's the link to his collection. Obviously this is not high speed inspiration, but from a mechanical, functional and craftsmanship standpoint very influential (at least for me).
    http://www.my-time-machines.net/
    http://www.my-time-machines.net/my_tower_clock_collection1.htm

Now... on to what REALLY gets me revved up.... AIRPLANES!! WWII specifically! Love 'em!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What's not to love about the construction, performance, paint.... everything to do with these pieces of history! Very, very influential to me!

12. McKee

McKee

Lee Pratt sculpture

Attached Files:

13. Great thread, even if it went off on a tangent! Reminds me of the T.V. program I saw last night on the History Channel, "Ancient Discoveries," about early robotics. They showed many automated systems from centuries ago, built with gears, weights, rope, pulleys, and levers. some were even programmable by changing the lengths of the ropes.

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOVIN' THIS THREAD!! Glad to see some other mechanical gizmo gurus here! :D

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I get inspired easily......

Attached Files:

16. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the dinosaurs...WOW!

17. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

How about a steampunk inspired car? Kind of Jules Vern doo-hickeys with a lot of turned brass and a bunch of exposed gears and levers to accopmlish tasks.
    <object height="350" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b8Ll_jfKzyQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="350" width="425"></object>

18. slammed

slammed

Now this stuff is really diverse..... this thread is going to grow and become a wealth of taste.

19. It's all about the chairs, baby. I'll see your Mies Barcelonas, and raise you...

One Marco Zanuso "Lady" chair...
    [​IMG]

One Bruno Matthesson lounge (I've got two of these at my house)...
    [​IMG]

One Hans Wegner "Ox"...
    [​IMG]

One Harry Bertoia "Bird"...
    [​IMG]

One Arne Jacobsen "Egg" ...
    [​IMG]

One George Nelson "Coconut"...
    [​IMG]

and one Eero Saarinen "Womb"
    [​IMG]

20. the luxurious textures and shapes used on musical instruments... they are built to last a lifetime or two (if you don't buy them at Walmart), the mechanics are simple, bulletproof when used properly, and finished to a high degree.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The textured metal and art deco shapes used in diners, every part looks like it was designed by the same guy, no committee decisions.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. I love the Streamline Era school of design. The 'aerodynamic' flow of these items does something for me. The desire to bring a smooth elegance to everyday items was one of the hallmarks of the time. Everything was new, advanced, and spoke of a great time and an even better future.

What housewife of the 1930's would view housework as drudgery when she's surrounded by these great everyday appliances?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even the kids could get into the spirit of the day!!

[​IMG]

And when Dad came home from a hard day at the office, he could relax in style and comfort.

[​IMG]

And when the whole family took a trip, the beautiful Burlington Zephyr train would take them in speed and style.

[​IMG]

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I love toasters... funny how you can get inspiration from them as well...

Attached Files:

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

and fans...

Attached Files:

24. pitman

pitman

It's all about the chairs, baby. I'll see your Mies Barcelonas, and raise you...

One Marco Zanuso "Lady" chair...

This being a traditional site and all...

25. JOE C.

JOE C.

Carlo Mollino.......modern architect, furniture designer,teacher,ski instructor,aviator,race car driver/designer, photographer.....
    definitely an inspiration.

Attached Files:

26. You can't have Barcelona chairs without a van der Rohe Barcelona table...

[​IMG]

Alright Señor Zenor, you started it. My grandfather (an architect) had good taste. I'm priveledged to be the guardian of a pair of Wegner "The Chair" chairs...

[​IMG]

...a pair of Wegner folding cane chairs...

[​IMG]

...an Eames (looks like a Bertoia, don't it? Eiffel Tower base give it away as an Eames)...

[​IMG]

...a pair of Finn Juhl "45" chairs...

[​IMG]

...and because I'm a chair geek who spends most of his time sitting in front of a computer, I got myself an Herman Miller Aeron chair...

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

27. 38zephyr

38zephyr

I love and am inspired by 30's and 40's : toys , design , advertising , trailers etc. All very influential on me when trying to figure out what would look best on a car , bike or whatever I'm looking at . To me the 1937 / 1938 deco streamline era was as good as it gets ! Excellent thread , neat stuff .

Attached Files:

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fans rule too!!! :D

29. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

Procreation created my Inspiration...:)

[​IMG]