Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects HAVE to Finish the LYNDWOOD by October 2009

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Bob confided to me this (Hope He doesn't mind me sharing):

"It's going out West. Yes, I got an offer, thought about it, went next door to see my 8 month old Grandson, and he had a big smile for me. I always want to be able to go next door and see him, in a few years I want him to wander over to visit me. Called the fellow back and accepted his offer. I have a standing invitation to visit "Alley Oop" and even drive it when it is done. Fellow sounds like the proper caretaker for the car, I'm happy to see it will get a good home. Best wishes to everyone. Bob "

Family First....sounds like a happy ending....gotta smell the roses,we only go through once.

2. Hemiman51

Hemiman51

I am sorry to see you are selling Alley Oop, and sorry that we did not connect when I was in Ct. But as Dino said family first. I hope the new owner will post progress on the HAMB. so I can follow it. Thanks for your work in restoring the dragster and refreshing some memories af my misspent youth.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Joe, my future copilot agrees. Bob:)

Attached Files:

4. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Ahhh, the eyes of a young gearhead! Wise choice Bob!

5. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Real Curious who bought it...And whats his plan. Shame if it doesn't get finished AS Alley OOP.

6. 1961A/D

1961A/D

HAPPY NEW YEAR news, here is the picture of Alley Oop, finished and running next to the other ORIGINAL legend of DOVER DRAG STRIP, HELLZAPOPPIN, the last time these 2 were next to each other was 51 years ago. I finished Alley Oop last october. The other picture was taken at the 2013 Lyndwood Welding show at the main shop where she was built in 1959, it was a suprise for Bob Bilbow & family when she rolled out of the trailer. Thanks to all the members on the HAMB site who helped with the information I needed to GET-ER-DONE. Also a BIG thank you to my friend Rich Head for all his help on Ally Oop & HELLZAPOPPIN. The big bend & brake machine behind Alley Oop in the Lyndwood picture is only one of the original equipment that Pat Bilbow used, Bob still has the original tube bender Pat used, Bob still runs the family business to this day. O to answer any questions I live 29 miles west of Bob Swensons house. Forgot a BIG Thank you to Al Lombardo at BIG AL"S TOY BOX for up-dating the heads & sweet sounding 283 motor, Lee, Dean, John & Anthony were great to work with during this project.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

"Alley Oop" couldn't have a better owner! It really does matter who you sell a car to after being caretaker for 23 years. Bob

8. car looks great!
    tell Richie, Ted said hi.

9. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

AWESOME finish to a build that was started by Bob. S. When we heard it was sold "to A Guy out west" ...most Dover guys heart dropped at the thought of the ole girl being cut up or changed from its historical significance. Called by many as the "Dover House Car" ...Original Modifier Tim Hallock drove it. He was instrumental to actually Building Dover ,running the Cat Dozer that leveled the track and pit area .And of course ,previous to Public access.. .used the car in "test runs' to check out the clocks. That photo on the Grand opening Dover program was actually taken weeks before with guys testing and has Don Gallants "Gold Rush" roadster in the Background. We Expect a Photo Op of the two cars Reunited Again after all these years at Our Dover Drag Strip Nostalgia Drags Aug.9-10 at Lebanon Valley. In Tim's own words in a phone conversation I had from him, he recalled many facts:
    "It Won 11 Low ET's in 1962 and won the Pepsi Points Award, was featured in How to Hop Up Your Engine magazine January 1963. I made the black top for DOVER in our plant in BROOKFIELD CTR,CONN.I was a member of the DANBURY MODIFERS CLUB, manager at DOVER, drove ALLEY OOP B/D which was the first 9 sec. B/D in country!!!!! 9:98 backed up with a 9:92 run at DOVER with double clocks set up that day, DOVERS and N.A.S.C.A.R's.- they sanctioned DOVER, the first year.The MODIFIERS B/D ALLEY OOP was a legal B/D, 301 cubic inch 1320 lbs., injected, on pump gas. we ran record meets at ISLAND DRAGWAY, YORK U.S. 30 both NHRA sanctioned. WE set a NHRA record at ISLAND in1961 at the time it was held by NELSON & MARTIN DRAGMASTERS, in CA. I don't recall the exact time but i think there e.t. was 10:30s and we were in the 10.13 sec. range . it was lowered the next wk. I do not recall by who. WE ran a 9:98 at YORK PA and blew 2nd gear on the back up run."
    The car was first run with a hemi before Dover at Montgomery. Tim will be glad his "baby' was preserved.

Side Note: Rich Head... Bobby Thanked, is another Devoted Dover Guy...Still lives in Wingdale...Dover's home - Run's with NETO in his vintage Chevy- The lead Car in our "Time Warp" parade at our Dover Drags in his original H/S trophy winner Chev. convertible...It's guys like Rich -Bobby and all the rest we have gathered on our Forum that Keeps the DOVER SPIRIT alive. Cool Guys with Cool Cars, with the old school attitude and values.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  10. nice story Dino, i hope to have my coupe back on the road this year back the way my dad had it when it he and midnight joe ran Dover.