Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 10-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #81
Manson
Grenade Inspector

Default Re: More WWII planes still flying

I've always loved the B-17's. My Grandfather served as a navigator in the 8th Air Force, 97th BG. He never talked much about his time in the war but always had pictures and models of B17's hanging in his basement workshop. It's been a few years but I've seen the "Nine-O-Nine" from the Collings Foundation several times, and I've also seen the B17's and other WWII era planes at the WWII Weekender in Reading, PA that takes place on the anniversary of D-Day every year. That's an incredible event if you ever have the opportunity to go.

Also, if you like B-17's, check out http://www.theballybomber.com/- This guy built an operable 1/3 scale replica of a B-17 bomber over the span of 14 years. Lots of build pics on the site.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #82
Inmate85031
FNG

Pick up a copy of "Frozen in Time" by Mitchell Zuckoff. This just published book is the story of the crash and rescue of several pilots and planes in Greenland during WWII. It also the story of how the Coast Guard, along with several private individuals, tried in 2012 to find the remains of two "Coasties" who perished there during the war.

Fascinating book.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #83
Deuce Daddy Don
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
Doc Watson, one friend after hearing my story and seeing pictures and video said he "hopes my pecker falls off" I THINK he was kidding.
Deuce Daddy, see if you can line up a GoPro and stationary mount it. I tried to hand hold a video camera in flight but it was futile with the multiple G's. Let me know how your ride is. The sound is just awesome!
Yes TigerII, my son says thats gonna' happen with the GoPro!!----Don
Old 10-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #84
Deuce Daddy Don
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol fueler View Post
Here is a link to what will soon be flying . The ONLY flying Black Widow P 61 . There are only about 3 in the world in any shape, except for the several rumored to be stashed in China somewhere left over from Lend-lease in WW II that the Chinese won't part with.
This one was savaged of a mountainside in the south Pacific somewhere. Really great site , shows the recovery and the restoration so far.
www.maam.org/p61.html‎
ol fueler, here's pix of Dad helping to sell War Bonds at Northrop 1943, Jack Northrop & others around the P-61 "Black Widow" plus some other Northrop pins. Both my parents worked at Northrop from 1941 thru 1958, then retired.------Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_1021NorthropP-610001.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	2048341   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_1021NorthropP-610003.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	2048342  
Old 10-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #85
indybigjohn

Thanks, rrbrucea.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #86
CA. 280

Gentleman I used to work for in the Neon business was, because of his size, the lower ball turret gunner on a -17. Spent 14 months as a German POW, the only member of his 10 man crew that made it to the ground. When a 17 came to our local airport and was giving rides, tried to get him to go up but he wouldn't go near it. That's the part we forget about. RIP Del.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #87
Ralphies54
Grenade Inspector

Gotta love Old Warbirds and the guys that kept them flying,those were some well trained mechanics and an awful lot of them went into the auto repair business after VE day and became the hotrodders that started it all. I can't mention aircraft museums with out one of my personel favorites. The Mighty 8th AF museum near Savannah GA along side I 95 gets my vote as one of the best. I've spent many enjoyable afternoon shooting down Me109s at thier B24 waist gun simulator. So if you in the area or on your way to winter in FL be sure to stop you will not regret it.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #88
barett
Alliance Member

Just now got buzzed by a mustang... Can't mistake that Merlin, blower coming at you, and that wonderful propwash as it leaves you... And I thought hemis were cool...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #89
gnichols
Alliance Member

A friend and former Naval Aviator (a rotor head) sent me this link. It's easy to see the parallels in our hobbies. Gary

See: http://www.youtube.com/v/TneYPcyGbbY&autoplay=1&rel=0
online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #90
chainsaw

Cool video !
Old 10-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #91
296ardun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol fueler View Post
Here is a link to what will soon be flying . The ONLY flying Black Widow P 61 . There are only about 3 in the world in any shape, except for the several rumored to be stashed in China somewhere left over from Lend-lease in WW II that the Chinese won't part with.
This one was savaged of a mountainside in the south Pacific somewhere. Really great site , shows the recovery and the restoration so far.
www.maam.org/p61.html‎
Be good to see one flying, only one I have seen is in the Air Force Museum in Dayton.

There is a P-61 in a Chinese aviation museum near Beijing, in pretty good shape. No one seems quite sure how the Chinese got it, but story is that it was abandoned when the Chinese communists took the mainland in '49 by a U.S. crew...The museum also has a P-47, probably captured from the Nationalists in '49..
Old 10-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #92
296ardun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 296ardun View Post
Be good to see one flying, only one I have seen is in the Air Force Museum in Dayton.

There is a P-61 in a Chinese aviation museum near Beijing, in pretty good shape. No one seems quite sure how the Chinese got it, but story is that it was abandoned when the Chinese communists took the mainland in '49 by a U.S. crew...The museum also has a P-47, probably captured from the Nationalists in '49..

Picture, from the Chinese Aviation Museum
Old 10-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #93
Sixness
Grenade Inspector

I....SO...want that 50 Chevy conv.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #94
Deuce Daddy Don
Alliance Member

296Arden---There's also one in Utah warplane museum. (Salt Lake area).
Old 10-26-2013, 01:19 AM   #95
ThunderRocket

There are only 4 Black Widows left.
P-61B at Mid-Atlantic in PA
P-61B in terrible shape in China
P-61C at Wright-Pat in OH
P-61C at Udvar-Hazy at DC
Old 10-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #96
Johnny99
Grenade Inspector

http://youtu.be/jueDXiuU6aM This plane found in the 80's is currently restored to flying condition and lives at the Paul Allen Flying Heritage Collection in Everett WA at Paine Field. My son and I went to watch it fly on its first public outing, what a treat. The Museum is a great place to spend part of the day. The collection also has free fly days during the spring and summer months so you can watch these beautiful birds fly and enjoy the racket that they make! Go if you ever get the chance.

John
Old 01-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #97
brewsterg6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixness View Post
I....SO...want that 50 Chevy conv.
Then this ain't gonna help you, is it?!!

Old 01-27-2014, 08:23 AM   #98
jfreakofkorn

http://news.yahoo.com/restored-fight...094004731.html

( photo in link )

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — New Orleans will get a flavor of one of the most heralded episodes of World War II when a Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, restored in the shark-nosed markings of the famed Flying Tigers, goes on display at the National World War II Museum.

The aircraft, a P-40E model, is the kind flown by the 1st American Volunteer Group formed in China by Gen. Claire Chennault shortly before the United States entered the war. However, this one never flew for the Tigers; its service was limited to the Aleutian Islands.

Thousands of P-40s were produced during the war and supplied to U.S. allies in every theater. Most were scrapped as advanced fighters such as the P-51 Mustang became available. Today, P-40s are rare.

Having any P-40 is important in telling the Tigers' story, said Nell Calloway, a granddaughter of Chennault, who organized U.S. volunteer pilots in 1941 as a civilian adviser to the nationalist Chinese government of Chiang Kai-Shek.

"Because the relationship between China and the United States is so important, we have to do whatever we can do to try to remember that airplane and how they used that airplane to contribute to defeating the Japanese," said Calloway, director of the Chennault Aviation and Military Museum in Monroe.

Chennault, a Texas native who grew up in Louisiana, resigned from active U.S. duty in 1937 to become an adviser to Chiang. He designed airfields and a warning network "of people, radios, telephones, and telegraph lines that covered all of Free China accessible to enemy aircraft," he wrote in his autobiography. He retired as a U.S. Air Force lieutenant general. He died in 1958.

Japan, which had moved aggressively in China since 1931, stepped up its attacks in 1937, and full-blown war broke out.

The museum's P-40 was painted to match the shark-faced aircraft flown by Robert Lee Scott Jr., commander of the 23rd Fighter Group created by Chennault when the Flying Tigers were brought into the U.S. Army Air Force after the United States entered the war.

Chennault wrote in "Way of a Fighter" that he never knew why the public dubbed his group the "Flying Tigers" when the planes were painted with a shark nose copied from a Royal Air Force squadron.

The Tigers found fame in the air and on the silver screen. The 1942 film "Flying Tigers" put a swashbuckling John Wayne in the cockpit of a shark-nosed P-40 blasting away at Japanese aircraft.

The museum's P-40 has the shark face but is painted with the modified fuselage logo designed for U.S. service: a tiger bursting through a star with a torn Japanese flag and Uncle Sam hat, said Rolando Gutierrez, chief engineer of Flyboys Aeroworks, the San Diego, Calif., company that restored the aircraft.

The museum's curators began searching for a P-40 in 2004, said Tom Czekanski, director of collections and exhibits.

"We knew we wanted it to represent the Air Force in China-Burma-India, so it would be a Flying Tiger — the shark-mouth paint," he said.

Czekanski wouldn't say how much it cost to buy and restore. Lafayette oilman and philanthropist Paul Hilliard, a World War II Marine, provided a big chunk of money, he said.

Buffalo, N.Y.-based Curtiss built more than 14,000 P-40s of various models from 1939 to about 1944, but high-performance aircraft such as the Mustang, Republic's P-47 Thunderbolt and the Vought F4U Corsair outclassed the Warhawk by 1944.

Adding to the P-40's scarcity is that after the war, enthusiasts snapped up surplus high-performance aircraft for air racing and private piloting. But the P-40 found little demand.

Gutierrez estimated fewer than three dozen remain.

The museum's P-40 was shipped to Cold Bay in the Aleutian Islands, where it had fewer than 20 hours of flying time when it was scrapped after a taxiing accident in 1942.

"The fields were very muddy, and often the plane would dig in. Then it would flip end over end," Czekanski said.

In the 1980s, he said, someone looking for a P-38 found the P-40's remains in a ditch near the airfield.

"We came to this a little late in the collecting game," Czekanski said. "Early on, people were collecting planes that were in service or parked and saved. As the supply goes down, people go to greater and greater lengths to get them."

The Warhawk will be the 10th aircraft installed in the museum, though only one can still fly, Czekanski said.

Gutierrez said the P-40's engine, landing gear, some castings and most of the instruments are original, but most of the plane had to be built from scratch in a 72-week effort using copies of more than 3,000 original drawings provided by the Smithsonian Institution and 4,000 pages of ground-crew manuals.

The aircraft was shipped by truck to New Orleans. Eventually it will be lifted into the second floor of the museum's Campaigns of Courage pavilion.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #99
Deuce Daddy Don
Alliance Member

Great read!!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #100
elba
Grenade Inspector

My Grandson in a B-25 at Oshkosh last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	071.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	2124841   Click image for larger version

Name:	035.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	525.1 KB
ID:	2124842