Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1947 SCTA co-champion Doug Hartelt-RIP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rockerhead, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

The San Diego newspaper ran a death notice for Doug Hartelt a couple of days ago. Doug was successful Lakes, drags and Bonneville racer. As a Lancers club member he tied for the 1947 SCTA Individual Points Championship. Doug ran the 1948 season at both SCTA and Russetta lakes meets (finishing No. 2 in both associations). Next he jumped into drag racing at the Santa Ana drags. After selling his roadster he built a nice '34 Ford modified coupe which he raced at the Lakes, Bonneville and the drags (pictures of the coupe are often posted as an example of the Bonneville style '34 modified coupe). . Doug and his friend Chuck Potvin ran the Post streamliner at Bonneville. After Doug switched to Chrysler hemi engines he ran them in dragsters including the one driven by Calvin Rice.
    Doug was very successful and a talented hot rodder in the great early days of hot rodding.
    Gone but not forgotten

2. R.I.P. Doug, condolences to his family.

I love the chop on his '34 3w but I have always had a preference for his T roadster.

[​IMG]

3. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Sorry to hear the news that another legend is gone. Certainly not forgotten.

[​IMG]

4. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

rip Doug, This man had some wicked rides!

5. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks, Don, for letting us know, one of the real pioneers, sorry to learn of his passing.

Here is the J.E. Riley Special at Long Beach, Calvin Rice driving, with Doug's blown Chrysler, think this was the first time that they ran the Chrysler in the car, photo from the Norm Grudem Collection at Don Ewald's site:
    [​IMG]

6. HELLMET

HELLMET

pretty soon they will be all gone. get storys and learn while you can. rip doug

7. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

So true Billy. R.I.P. Doug. Your 34 will always be one of my favorites!

8. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Knew Doug just from reading all the rod mags and such, but am saddened to hear his passing, as he was one of the old rodders who were in their 20,s when I was a kid. yes lots of things I would like to ask, and talk to.

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Sad news. He sure created a great coupe.