Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone beleive in marvel mystery oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swaluda, Sep 1, 2013.

1. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

My son uses it in all his air tools. He told me to run it through before I put them away if I use them.... He said the Snapon guy and Matco guy told him to.... His air toold work nice. But they are the latest technology.

My Super Duty (gas) does not like lucas anything.... My son uses Lucas in his Diesel fuel in his truck....he says it quiets things down... Who knows.

I use Seafoam in my 40, but with todays fuel I was kickin around some Mystery oil

2. Truckedup

Truckedup

Nope,and I don't believe penetrating oil does anything either...ATF will have exactly the same results,if any.

3. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

It's good top end lube and good for cleaning sludge. I put either mmo or 2 cycle oil in my flattys before I park em. Stuck valves suck

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Well for you guys that think you know it all what was MM originally made to be used for?

Answer : for oiling the valve train and top end of engines running on dry fuel as natural gas ,propane etc. using what was called a "Inverse oiler" . Great air tool oil and good for freeing up stucky valves,rings and lifters. Magic ?? NO ! ATF probabley would mostly do the same thing. We use to pour a gallon of ATF in to the fuel of semi trucks to clean the injectors,worked pretty good. Now days you don't want the DOT boys seeing a hint of red in your fuel =giant fines for that.

5. noboD

noboD

When my son was in high shcool I bought him a cheap high mileage VW, overhead cam four cylinder. It rattled like crazy and idled terrible. I put in a BIG pint in the oil and told him to wash the car while it idled. When he was finished washing it didn't rattle and we changed the oil. That stuff cleaned out all the lifters and the car ran smooth after that. And I don't care who believes it or not.

6. spuds

spuds
    from Idaho

7. I use it in my gas to stabilize the crappy fuel we have here in California, I could use Sta bil but it doesn't lubricate as well. I ride the van pool to work now, so my cars don't get driven as much and the fuel starts to kick in about 2 weeks (if small pumps at work sit for a month I have to clean out the carbs to get them to run again).

Plus it smells good.

indianbullet likes this.
  8. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Its a staple in piston driven aviation. Our Continental powered Cessna was designed for 80 octane NO lead. The most widely available fuel today is 100LL (low lead) Its nasty stuff that lead as it builds up on valves and valve guides causing as sstuck valve at the the most inopertoon time as in takeoffs.:(
    It was developed during WW2 for just this purpose.

9. ssaahemifan

ssaahemifan

I was told it was developed as a sewing machine lubricant - hence it's pleasant smell

10. historynw

historynw

Used it on one of my old 440's, ran it when I was working on the car for an hour or so each day. We changed the oil several times and it degunked the insides, so much my mechanic said it looked like it was a lot less miles on it than the 100k +. i ran some in the gas tank too, it really cleaned things up. I put 33k on the motor by the time I sold it only did over the heads and valve seats.:)

11. aircap

aircap

My auto shop teacher swore by the stuff back in the early 70's.
    It still works for me all these decades later.

12. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was on the Ford Barn and read about using MMO to fix four bangers.
    What the Hellsinki is MMO?...."Mystery Marvel Oil"

I have other engine plans for my Sedan and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on the banger....

So I gave it a try, nothing to lose...4% in the gas & 20% in the new Oil, drive it like you stole it...
    & Dangit! it smokes a lot less and the ticking lifters got much quieter...!

I'm now a MMO believer!
    Tommy

13. I not only believe in MMO, I've actually seen it.

14. This EXACT same thing happeded to me on my Knuckle and I used MMO also with the same results!

15. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I have used it for years and that's because it WORKS

Jimbo

16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Here's a success story. I was traveling with a friend on motorcycles and brought some MMO along since I had a new top end. He had a fiberglass gas tank on his Norton, which was melting inside from ethanol. The gooey mixture got to his carb slide, which began sticking and scaring him as he tried to back off entering corners. We put MMO in it and it freed up the slide, rode it for two more days to get home with no further sticking.

17. swaluda

swaluda
    from pa.

It appears the YEAH'S out weigh the NAY'S, Therefore IT LIVES. Case Adjouned

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yes, but as others have pointed out, using ATF, Bardahl etc. might accomplish the same results.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

We used to use it a lot in the 60's on old engines with sticky lifters. It really did a good job to free them up and quiet down the valve train.

21. This is some pretty solid testimony, sounds like you take good care of your car.

22. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

I've used it to free up sticky lifters successfully , and before oil changes , it seems to help keep clean internals . IMHO

23. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

I think IF the ATF,etc things worked as well there'd be a post or five with testimonials about how great they worked in here as opposed to theoretical maybe's..;)

I too have seen it (MMO) clean up nasty fouled engines that smoked like foggers into mild hazers... Still needs the engine overhauled though!

24. schreddr

schreddr
    BANNED
    from ND

Rolls Royce (Required) it or they would (Void) your warranty.. That's what I've heard..

25. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

I also know of it being a well used product in aviation. One old engine with over 110k I had, I used it religiously and then sold the engine to a guy for an engine swap. He took off the valve cover and asked when I had the heads redone because they were spotless. Only MMO and when he got the engine it had 185K on it. It's no mystery, the stuff works ! Still use it now.

26. patterpillar

patterpillar
    from Montana

I used it in a 59 GMC 270 crankcase during the winter...It would then turn over fast enough to start when I couldn't plug it it.

27. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

:DQuit makin me laugh so hard! It's hard on the hemorrhoids

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's a myth, BUT a lot of restorer's use MMO. Whether or not it works depends on a lot of factors involving your engine and setup. Like anything else, try it. If it works, fine. If it doesn't, don't buy it again. I use it because it took care of some minor issues. Everyone else's results may vary.

29. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

Quit makin me laugh so hard! It's hard on the hemorrhoids.

30. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

As a young ,brand new A-P years ago,was hired on by a freight company operating out of Yipsilanti Mich,, worked on Dc-7, C46,DC 3,, they bought MMO in 50 gallon Barrels ,The carbs were P D carbs and the 7's had turbines( PRT's) ,we dumped a few gallons in every oil tank & fuel tanks on a regular basis,kept the PRT from coking and the diaphragms in the carbs from cracking, i have used it ever since.