Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Hot Rod found - HELP ID original builder!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

A very close family friend of mine who is a VERY serious car collector stumbled upon this '37 Cord out on the west coast. Obviously, it has had an extensive amount of work - '54 Cad drivetrain, early chrysler suspension, etc... My pal bought it from the original family, but they don't know who originally built the car and don't really have any history on it - I guess the car guy has passed.

My thoughts are that this was a pretty high faluting hot rod back in the 50s and that someone has got to know something. Take a look at these shots and tell me what ya think.

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      45.2 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      48.8 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      57.6 KB
      Views:
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      48.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Is that a Buick or Caddy steering wheel and column?

A Caddy in a Cord gotta love the effort.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The car is in Oklahoma now and these pics are all I have... I haven't seen it in person.

The steering wheel looks like mid 50s chrysler imperial to me. I could be totally wrong though...

4. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

WOW man,,,,i'll be watching this one,,,,,

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Here's the Cord the car above will sit next to when it's finished being cleaned up and put back on the road.

Attached Files:

• cord.jpg
      cord.jpg
      File size:
      52.7 KB
      Views:
  6. lownrusty

lownrusty

If it came out of san francisco it could be my dads old car, he's 87 now and that was kind of his trademark the cad engine in everything including in his early delivery trucks, see if the car was yellow also. My dad owned it right before he went off to war in 45.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Woah... Seriously? Are you sure he owned a '37 with a cad motor? I'll find out about the paint...

8. muffman58

muffman58

Beautiful style, and a great drive train ''now'' I bet the guy who bought it is going crazy. Those are only a dream car to me.

9. lownrusty

lownrusty

never mind I just talked to my dad he took the motor out before he sold it to the wrecker? wow the sh-t my dad has junked!!

10. Von Franco

Von Franco

Yo Paul like father like son lol..................

Endsville.V.f.

11. Brad S.

Brad S.

I'd like to see that in person.

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Just got word - steering wheel is Buick.

13. That is really a nice body style. It would be great if some time you could get some more pictures of it all around. Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy:D

14. interesting find. I believe those were front wheel drive to start with. I think when Cord went under either, Hupmobile or Graham bought the body tooling and continued to make a cobbled up version of the Cord, I could be wrong though.

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

16. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

Is there any kind of indication of time of the build are all the mods from 40's 50's cars. Thats alot of expensive car parts all Caddy Olds and Buick. Good taste though.

17. squirrel

squirrel

probably late 50s? look at that master cylinder...those weren't around till about 55

18. Splinter

Splinter

I think most of those old Cords had a Plaque on the dash telling you how fast the actual car was tested to before leaving the factory...any word on whethter or not that is itact?

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Don Lee is the first guy that comes to mind. The OFFY powered Cord he ran on the Dry Lakes is restored and in Massachusetts now. Is this car converted to rear drive now?

20. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

so its rear wheel drive now I suppose... is he leaving it as is or restoring back to cord drivetrain.............:cool:

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No idea on the plaque.

The car will be restored, but not ta stock... It's coming back to life in it's current state. It has been converted to RWD.

Essentially, the guy that owns this car is the guy responsible for me being so into cars. I met him when I was... well, born. Some of my very first memories are of his garage and his cars. It's like nothing I've ever seen before or since.

22. Plowboy

Plowboy

I have the roof off of a Hollywood Graham that my buddy junked out laying out in my shed.

You would be amazed at some of the stuff his dad junked "back in the day"

He thought Fords were junk and cut up a 32 Cabriotlet and buried it in the back yard.

23. I wonder if any of the fellas at the ADC museum in Indiana might be able to help. It's not like there's a ton of those around anymore.....

24. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Next to the Phantom Corsair the Cord is about the prettiest car ever made.
    There was a roadster at the Pomona Swap last year for 50g's. Wish I had the bread. -stick

Attached Files:

25. lazyv8

lazyv8

There is a collector here in the bay area named al Engel, he collects alot of hot rods and has ongoing restorations , a month or so ago we went on a tour of his collection and he had just had a 36-37 cord sedan restored and the car was so similar to this one ,it had an early hemi in it with 40 chev head lights and a 46-8 lincoln rear window, the car had been originaly built in th 50's it was an odd ball,it also had lincoln caps and a 50's buick or olds dash and wheel ,but im not positive on that. The car had just been restored. man i wish i had snapped a pick!,ill see if i cant find out the history on that car to see if these two have anything in common,they sure look like it.
    thanks,Brandon

26. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

There was a guy here in Ammon Idaho that was a mechanic back in the late 60's, early 70's that had 3 Cords and a couple Zephyrs he worked on. One of the Cords was Caddy powered. We used to stop and check progress on it whenever we brought a truck in for an overhaul. Could be the same car. That one was red, but I never saw it completed before I went in the Navy. Guy ran Vaughn's garage. I think he died in the 70's. 3 Cords and 2 Zephyrs would be a hell of a collection today. :)

27. Gotta metal detector.......................:cool:

28. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Get diggin'!
    Way cool car. The flattie I'm workin on came from a Cord Restorer. Can't remember the old dude's nam to save my life. He let me drool on his pics of past cars. Really cool.

29. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

30. BJR

BJR

The wheel is the same as my 49 Buick.