Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2005, 03:21 PM   #1
ChevyGirlRox
Old School HAMBer

Default Barris...the legend lives on

This weekend I had the opprotunity to hang out with a living legend, George Barris. He was the Grand Marshal of the Glenmoor Gathering of Significant Automobiles in Canton, Ohio. The feature of the show this year was Kustoms, so how could Barris not be there? He was quite possibly the nicest public figure I have ever met. He signed autographs day and night and was willing to talk to everyone, from the director of the show to the waite staff. I knew he was coming and hoped that I would meet him. I was pleasantly suprised Friday morning to get the call that he was coming to my office! (Note the picture of him and I, I'm not really awake yet) The Hirohata Merc made an apperance along with a few other famous Kustoms done by both Barris and Valley Customs among others. I'm sure many of you may remember a recent post about the Hirohata Merc and it's history by Rikster. It was so awesome to finally see the car in person after reading about it and seeing it in magazines all my life. He shared so many neat stories with me about celebrities and the cars he created for them and all of the good people he has met over the years. I especially enjoyed hearing him talk about James Dean and what really happened that day and since then with his Porsche. We were looking over my new copy of CKD and he asked to have it because he liked it so much! He told me about a GTO he's working on right now. I hope when I'm 80 I'll still be working on cars! Here are some pictures...lots more to come....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hmerc1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	120811   Click image for larger version

Name:	hmerc3.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	120812   Click image for larger version

Name:	hmerc5.jpg
Views:	127