Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 02-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
GREASER815
Alliance Member

Default Chassis Engineering Inc. Rear Leaf Springs

I installed a Chassis Engineering rear leaf spring kit last winter in my 1950 Chevy.
After an entire summer of driving and a lot of miles the springs have taken a negative arc. I still have to use 3" lowering blocks and it isn't even as low as I want it. The springs have 5 heavy leafs in them, I wanted to pull a leaf and drop some more but when I got under and saw the arc they have I am nervous about doing so. Is it normal for them to do this? Anyone else had this issue? When I ordered the springs they were supposed to be a 3" drop right from the start, never were even close. CE says it is normal for them to settle over time, but how much settling is too much?
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
39 Ford

Default Re: Chassis Engineering Inc. Rear Leaf Springs

How about a picture?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
RICH B
Alliance Member

Got a set for a '54 the other day and saw that CE's installation directions say the springs may end up arched, flat, or with a "reverse" arch and all would be considered it normal.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Boones
Alliance Member

i would call them and ask

www.fotki.com/boones
online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
choprods
Alliance Vendor

Location: Elmer,Mo.USA All the COOL... people on the HAMB have already been here,why haven't you?

they are 65 up Dodge pickup/Ramcharger 4x4 frt leafs=over the years they differed a bit and in '78 up were available in 3 leaf and even Mono leaf,so the 5 leaf is a bit more than most hotrod's weight load would require......
Another source for same spring was the frt springs from '74 International 1/2 ton- 2 w/drive
Old 02-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
GREASER815
Alliance Member

I was thinking of pulling 2 leafs because I have seen the dodge springs in 3 leaf versions. Will the negative curve affect the life and strength of the spring? Or, does it really not matter if it is arched up? I just don't want to haul my family around in anything unsafe or dangerous.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
RICH B
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprods View Post
they are 65 up Dodge pickup/Ramcharger 4x4 frt leafs=over the years they differed a bit and in '78 up were available in 3 leaf and even Mono leaf,so the 5 leaf is a bit more than most hotrod's weight load would require......
Another source for same spring was the frt springs from '74 International 1/2 ton- 2 w/drive
When I bought my '47 it had actual Dodge truck springs on Chassis Engineering brackets, they seemed really stiff and had a high arch to them. I bought a set of RS4148 springs from CE, they had a lot less arch and dropped the car about another 3 or so inches.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
GREASER815
Alliance Member

I am running RS-4148LR, they told me the LR stand for low ride. Wasn't very impressed, thats why I had to go with blocks and now thinking removing a couple leafs. My car was lower with simple 3" blocks when I was still running my torque tube.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
rd martin

normal for them to de arch some, have had 3 sets on 3 diff cars all did the same.if you think about stock heighth compared to what you have after they settle, i bet you do have 3 inches
Old 02-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
i.rant
Alliance Member

The two times I have used them over time they de-arched. I thought it was normal.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
Jims35
Grenade Inspector

Huh , I just assumed C.E. built new springs for the application , not rob another vehicle for parts even if they were new ?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
gnichols
Alliance Member

All the CE leafs seem to do that. What pisses me off is that the springs don't sag on the dammed trucks they came on, do they? So... you get your car all set up for rake and ride height, and then end up taking out any lowering blocks to get it back where you want it. Same thing happened to the ProSprings MII coils on my 37 and I had to get some from a different supplier. It's baloney. RE the CE the leafs, Eaton claims to have a spring that fits and won't sag, but I never tried it. Anyone? Gary
Old 02-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
Pewsplace

Mine sag also, but I would not recommend taking out the extra leafs as they won't hold the car up for normal driving. I did take out two leafs and ended up with a broken main leaf. You can have them redone at a good spring shop or order the Eaton ones. I have used both local and Eaton springs with good success and correct ride height. Eaton's are expensive compared to local shops in the LA area.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
rd martin

friend of mine bought eaton coils made up for his application, bb chevy etc, did have a problem little soft i believe, contacted eaton, another set of springs sent out, few years later still working fine. covered under warranty.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #15
GREASER815
Alliance Member

I see it as BS, I spent almost $600 on the rear end set up, I should not have to go source new springs on my own a year later because they de arch themselves. I am gonna give them a call and see what they say, wonder if they have different runs of springs with different results, some sag worse than others and some complaining of not lowering their car at all. Something has to be going on with their supply of springs.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

I used Eaton to replace all four corners of the leaf springs in my '46 460 powered pickup. I gave them detailed instructions with a sketch and even gave them one of the springs I took out so they could see what I had in there. They have extensive files on old car springs. The springs I got back were exactly to my desired specs and haven't sagged after a summer of use.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #17
40Standard
Old School HAMBer

check out Eaton springs
Old 02-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #18
JAKE'S-Pumpkinella54

news???
Old 02-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #19
GREASER815
Alliance Member

News? You cant get any info from these people, they think they make gold. Not sure what I am going to do yet, might move them inboard of rails, may bag rear, not positive. I am gonna do a notch, then decide when under there. Id really like to keep static lowered with leafs, prob the way I will go. I just want to be lower, going to lower front as well, but keep a slight taildragging stance.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
Buckster
Grenade Inspector

I bought a set of EATON springs for my '40. I ordered springs to lower my '40 coupe which has the CE kit & springs. The CE supplied springs had the reverse arc from 25,000 miles of use.
The EATON springs had my car jacked up in the air !! I was told to run them awhile to see if they would settle. They did a little bit. I returned them at my expense & they came back looking as though they have been in a press brake. They had not been disassembled and re-arched. I was also charged for the springs to be shipped back to me. They were still were not right, so I reinstalled my original lowering blocks & took out the shortest leaf.