Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 01-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Deeznuts
FNG

Default original colors for 1950 ford?

We are doing a frame off on a 1950 Ford convertible for a customer who had one in the early 50's. It was a light green color and he wants this one the same color. The PPG store that I deal with is no help at all. Any ideas beside tcpglobal.com as to where I can find color charts or codes for the original colors? Thanks for any help!
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
fuel pump
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: original colors for 1950 ford?

Ask these guys.

http://www.shoeboxford.com/

Old 01-14-2013, 01:04 AM   #3
barryvanhook
Alliance Member

My 49 Fleetline may well be painted that light green you are talking about. It was called Palisade Green by Ford in 1950. I certainly don't have a formula, nor do I have a number, but I was able to find it in an old book at one of the local auto paint stores here in Mesa .. Space Age Paint. Here's a pic of my 49 so you can determine if it's the right color.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carshots 004.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	1838193  
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
Don's Hot Rods
Old School HAMBer

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.asp...-ford-pg01.jpg

Here you go.

Don

Why didn't this site help ?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #5
tommy
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don's Hot Rods View Post
http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.asp...-ford-pg01.jpg

Here you go.

Don

Why didn't this site help ?
I'm no painter but I've always had a hard time finding paint the color that I want. It has always been off.

I ordered paint from these guys and it is a perfect match to the paint under my front fender. I've had this problem all my adult life. A paint store uses a formula to mix old car colors so you are at the mercy of the 18 YO tech that mixes it. I will always buy my old car paint from them from now on. I have been so frustrated in the past that I have to speak up when someone comes through. I've only done the firewall so far but it came out great. BCCC.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
loveoftiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeznuts View Post
We are doing a frame off on a 1950 Ford convertible for a customer who had one in the early 50's. It was a light green color and he wants this one the same color. The PPG store that I deal with is no help at all. Any ideas beside tcpglobal.com as to where I can find color charts or codes for the original colors? Thanks for any help!
Go to a different Jobber..... they can make a phone call and get a formula sent to them. Sounds like they dont want to work for your money.

Detroit Midnight Mass 2013

Keep Your Flame Lit - RIP Mike Gator Gaydos
Old 01-14-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
greazy john

tcpglobal then find a different jobber , my ppg jobber uses them sometimes for cross reference
Old 01-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #8
J. A. Miller
Grenade Inspector

That tcpglobal site is great! Thanks for posting the link Don.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
HOTRODPRIMER
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveoftiki View Post
Go to a different Jobber..... they can make a phone call and get a formula sent to them. Sounds like they dont want to work for your money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greazy john View Post
tcpglobal then find a different jobber , my ppg jobber uses them sometimes for cross reference
I tried that not once but twice,,I was disappointed twice.

The only saving grace was my second experience I was only out a quart of paint,,I'll use tcpglobal in the future. HRP

'54 Ranch Wagon build photos
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
Deeznuts
FNG

I was just curious if there were any other colors or charts that tcpglobal didnt have for that year. We mixed the green that they show on the chart and the owner says thats not what he had in. I will look a little further. Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
Don's Hot Rods
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
I was just curious if there were any other colors or charts that tcpglobal didnt have for that year. We mixed the green that they show on the chart and the owner says thats not what he had in. I will look a little further. Thanks for all your help guys!

I had a light green 50 Ford convertible, and that is the color I remember it being. It could be that your customer has just forgotten what the shade actually looked like, or maybe it was a repaint in a slightly different shade. Ford didn't offer a bunch of different colors back then, as you can see on the chart.

Don
Old 01-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
Mike51Merc

Quote:
I'm no paint expert, but I do know that it will look different "in the can". Did you spray a test panel?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
tommy
Old School HAMBer

So I went to the local Dupont dealer and looked through their paint chips. I went with a dark green "fleet color" I took the book outside to look in the sunlight. I made my selection He mixed it up I and took it back to the shop. I popped the top off and almost shit my self. I immediately took it back and had him compare the chip to the paint. I asked the guy does this look close to the chip in the book? No. so he took me in the back and added a bunch of black to get it somewhere close to the color I chose. This is not a John Deere. The yellow is actually Apple Green. It looks a hell of a lot better in person. I don't know if it's my camera or not.

I love the 50 Ford "pea green" I thought it was sea foam green but a buddy bought a coupe that color and it looks great!!!.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #14
atomickustom
Old School HAMBer

Google is your friend:
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...Ford&year=1950

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/cho...l=All%20Models

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1905605...Types&var=sbar

Those are the only colors I have ever seen in any Ford literature. If it was light green it has to be either Palisade Green (the greyish one) or Sportsman's Green (the yellowish one).
I've seen more hardtops and convertibles in the Sportsman's Green. That would be the one I would guess is right.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #15
Gator
Old School HAMBer

Part of the problem might be the guys memory - maybe he 'remembers' it being a different shade of green than it actually was...

If that's the case I'd just pull a few chips in the shade of green he remembers it being and let him choose one.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #16
pimpin paint
Old School HAMBer

Hey,

You may wanna look for the build tag on that schewbaux, usually PNT and a numper on the tag for the correct colour.
People's recall and the real world ain't always one and the same! When you/they ''think'' you've found the correct colour, be sure to do a spray out on a larger panel than a paint chip Once the sample is fully dry show it to the client in full sunlight, and have them sign off on ''their'' selection C.Y.A.

" The customer is always right, but sometimes wrong "
Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
tedley

Do you have a sample color of the paint or has it all been striped. off. If you have a clean sample just take it to your favorite body shop and have them take a picture color shot with there camera. It will spit out the formula. Works great but you need a sample at least 5 in square or so.

Last edited by tedley; 01-14-2013 at 07:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #18
mr50s

Hey Deeznuts,

If you're attempting to restore your customer's 1950 Ford convertible back to fully stock condition, you need to be able to determine Ford's original name for the paint color the car had before going to your paint supplier.

You can do this by copying down the factory "Cowl Code" characters which have been stamped into the curved cowl sheetmetal above the pinchweld which joins the cowl with the vertical firewall. One of the letters appearing in this Cowl Code tells us accurately how the car was painted when it first left the assembly plant.

When you post this code here on the H.A.M.B., I can use Ford factory information that I have to decode the answer you need.

mr50s
Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #19
Kan Kustom

My brother had a 50 Ford in the early 70`s. It was the origional maroon color from the factory. I dont remember what the numbers were etc. but I will never forget my dad buying can after can of the small Duplicolor aerosol spray paint cans and painting that whole car with them ! I am still trying to figure out what he was thinking.He wasnt much on working on cars.I think he just thought it was some kind of challenge.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
flatheadpete
Old School HAMBer

like this?