Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

The ferry may be easier but this is cheaper.

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I give, what is that? A feed bag?

3. Desert water bag. The signage beyond looks to say something about "Lubbock" so maybe these folks from New Jersey needed water in their radiator in the hot state of Texas?!

4. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

The bags were made of heavy canvas. When filled with water, the canvas would become wet and the evaporation would keep the water cool for drinking purposes ... poor man's cooler.

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

^^^^although they were usually mounted on the front of the car where the evaporative cooling lowered the temp of the air going to the radiator, much like a swamp cooler. So the driver has cool water to dring and the car had marginally cooler air to keep the engine happy.

6. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

I believe the Chrysler is at a service station, note the rack for the oil. I think the sign says "Lubrication" over that bay of the station. Leave it to people in NJ to hang the Desert Water Bag on the wrong end of the car! :)

7. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

I'm curious if the reason the picture was taken was because of the license plate? Very low number for a state with a lot of cars, what is the EF? Wondering if it's a gov't car?

8. WTSHNN

WTSHNN
    from Chicago

Here's a rare shot of a 1931 Model AA Ford Ambulance taken at the first aid station at the Boulder Canyon project.

Of note is that the fenders are painted body color and the fronts have fender lights on them, the stock horn has been replaced with what looks to be a chromed siren and there is an emergency light attached to the A pillar.

[​IMG]

-Tim

9. Crater Lake, Oregon 1956

[​IMG]

10. EA thru EZ including EF= Essex county registration
    It's just a low serial number plate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.