Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 12-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #41
simon g-s
Grenade Inspector

Default Re: Anyone ever powdercoat an intake manifold ?

Me niether, wet media cleaned it, baked for 1/2 hour and then clear laquer from a rattle can, still looks good 4 years on. Not a show queen though !
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #42
langy
Old School HAMBer

I have mine vapour blasted, nice finish and easily cleaned

Checkout my Willys project here http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572303
Old 12-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #43
Muttley
Old School HAMBer

I had an intake coated with what the guy described as "chrome" for a Chevelle I owned about ten years ago. I immediately hated it and sold it the next day for the price of the intake minus the powder coating. Dont waste your time, it looks like crap.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #44
turboroadster
Old School HAMBer

I have done a bunch of them.
One thing to note, the alum will turn darker even with a clear. it will be a dark gray.
I use a Dupont diamond dust, its a high gloss fuel resistant clear, flows out beautifully.

Highway HorrorS cc
Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #45
turboroadster
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddayacare View Post
You want heat in headers, you don't want heat in an intake/fuel system. This is the most basic engine performance knowledge. Coatings keep heat in.
seriously, do you think a thin layer of powder is going to be worse than a thin layer of paint (factory has painted bazillions of them), really, sometimes I think people spout out stuff without even thinking, its just "what they have heard"...

and as far as heat issues on intakes, the powder gets baked at 375-400. I never use high heat powder on intakes, its just not needed. If your motor gets hot enough to damage the powder, you have other issues more important than whether the powder is discolored or not.

and Aluminum DOES outgas indeed so.

Highway HorrorS cc
Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #46
tommy
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboroadster View Post
seriously, do you think a thin layer of powder is going to be worse than a thin layer of paint, really, sometimes I think people spout out stuff without even thinking, its just "what they have heard"...
yeah some guys say the same thing abut a dusting of flat black paint on a radiator...it will suddenly over heat.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #47
Dakota Boy
Grenade Inspector

Dupli-Color makes a nice aluminum paint in a spray can.

Bead blast the intake, primer it, and spray it.

I had a nasty old Edelbrock that looked like new when I was done. Two years later it still looks pretty good.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #48
Waddayacare
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboroadster View Post
seriously, do you think a thin layer of powder is going to be worse than a thin layer of paint (factory has painted bazillions of them), really, sometimes I think people spout out stuff without even thinking, its just "what they have heard"....
Typical automotive finish is between 4.5 to 5.5 mils thick. Powder coating can run as high as 20 mils thick. That's why bolts don't go into holes after powder coating without reaming them out.

So what's this about powder coating being "thin"?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #49
Blue One
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post

I do all of mine now. Cast alminum from Eastwood done in a recycled kitchen oven. I like the look and it stays clean. Another plus is the Y Ford thermostat housing is cast iron and I think it looks better matching the aluminum intake. JMHO

I think it's an improvement.
That Y Block tri power looks nice. I think I'll order some Eastwood powder for my 573.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #50
porknbeaner
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue One View Post
Good grief. An old wives tale if there ever was one. Look up the thermal conductivity of aluminum as compared to steel. It' 4x that of steel, meaning that aluminum dissipates heat better than a cast iron or cast steel intake even if it's powder coated.

By your line of logic, the manufacturers for many years were all messed up making cast iron manifolds that would stay too hot and screw everything up.
Actually he is correct powder coating will diminish the cooling efficiency of the aluminum enough to loose the effect of having an aluminum intake.

The factories painted cast intakes so that they would not rust but paint does not seal as well as powder coat. They went to aluminum intakes on their performance based vehicles partly because of the fact that it does dissipate heat better.

I would assume that if performance is not the goal a warmer fuel charge is not an issue.

Actually the only reason that a bare aluminum intake is hard to keep clean is the porosity. A fner pososity can be achieved by using a finer medium for blasting. One thing that I do to make my aluminum pieces easier to keep clean is Lemon Pledge. Giveing ot a coating of the stuff will make it rinse off real well.

But that is not the point of the thread is it.

No man crosses a chasm in two jumps
Old 12-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #51
Waddayacare
BANNED

I don't really care what someone coats their engine parts with. If performance is not that much of a concern that's fine, it's their car to build it as they see fit. I never stood on a soapbox saying "Don't do that", I said that "I" wouldn't do it for the reasons stated. Period!

Hey if Krylon became king and everybody else was using it, so be it! Whatever works for "them"!
Old 12-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #52
tfeverfred
Old School HAMBer

My intake is in the cast state and I like it. It looks like what it is... an aluminum intake. True, oil or whatever will stain it, but I take a few minutes after I notice it and spray a little carb cleaner and wipe it clean. It sounds like you take pride in your stuff, so after a couple or three drives, take 10 minutes and clean if needed.

Cast aluminum intakes look bad ass.

I used to admire Edelbrocks Endurashine finish when I saw it in the ads, but my thought was...... "Man, there's a WHOLE lot of spaces that would be hard to reach at cleaning time." Carb cleaner over spray will easily soak into paper towel. I couldn't see myself getting out a Q-tip to reach those tight Endurashine spots.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #53
tfeverfred
Old School HAMBer

On a side note, when I was talking to Matt about my headers and coating, he responded with something that made me think. He said, "I just paint them. Hell, it's an exhaust pipe. What are you expecting?"

The same can be said for an intake. If you're not building a 1,000 mile a year show ride, just paint the damn thing and clean it every so often. Chances are you look at your engine more that twice a week. More than that, if it's hoodless. One of those times, just clean it if it's needed.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #54
kdorfner
Grenade Inspector

I have coated a few intakes with cast aluminum powder. My Model A sits outside
with no hood and 3 years later still cleans up like the day I put it on the motor. I
glass bead the intake, rinse with water and bake at 400 degrees to dry and degrease. Looks like raw aluminum and does not stain. Simple green and a small
paint brush keeps it clean.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #55
CudaChick1968
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterLifeCrisis View Post
I've had everything from accessory pullies to valve covers to seat tracks powdercoated. As mentioned above, as long as the process is done correctly with quality product, it'll be fine. Look up Phoenix Specialty Coatings and ask for Leanna. I have no affiliation with them, they've just done some spectacular work for me and friends in the past.
Thanks for the feedback and your wonderful recommendation. I love what I do around here. Seems there's a few PSC fans on this board.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #56
turboroadster
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddayacare View Post
Typical automotive finish is between 4.5 to 5.5 mils thick. Powder coating can run as high as 20 mils thick. That's why bolts don't go into holes after powder coating without reaming them out.

So what's this about powder coating being "thin"?
yup, thin, anything will go on thick if you let it.....powder application technology has come a looooong way. thats why you use a coater that has expensive equipment instead of garage kit guns. Take a look at "Tribo" technology, my gun and machine lays it on beautifully, I powder through stencils and lace patterns just like paint....thick you say...ha!

Highway HorrorS cc
Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #57
CudaChick1968
FNG

Yeah turbo, I have to agree with you there. The one that got me was the statement that it's "20 mils" thick. LMAO!!!! Holy cow, no wonder powder coating on this forum has such an awful reputation with silly rumors like that floating around.

If it's done right, it's 3-4 mils thick, comes in every color, texture and finish you can imagine (including custom colors that can match or accentuate your paint job) and will last without incident for many, many years.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #58
yellow dog
Grenade Inspector

I'm a bit surprised but the attached chemical resistance table indicates that polyester powder holds up good against gasoline, MeOH, EtOH.

http://www.long.com/chemicalresistanceguide.pdf
Old 12-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #59
oldskooljc

HOT HOT HOT We were working on a 1972 Chevy show truck the guy had the motor built by us he had the intake chrome a coated. We had to drop the motor in and it was off to the body shop to get the front clip installed. It came back for fine tune the dist. was one tooth off Motor had only run for a short time Burned the shit out of my hands moving that dist. one tooth with mechanics gloves on. Some bull shit had to be on the trailer headed to a show. Don't do it Hot Hot Hot.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #60
tfeverfred
Old School HAMBer

Clean it.