Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods .

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chucky, Dec 30, 2011.

1. n847

n847

Is that thing going to clear the distrubutor?

2. n847

n847

AAhhhaaa....I see now! I decided to run a small cap HEI from the swap meet to eliminate the points but I also picked up a new in the box pertronix kit that I'm saving to used with my old points dizzy, I just don't trust that 90 dollar made in china piece I know a guy who fragged one but it was in a 500hp stroker so I'm in no rush.

That avatar shot was from one of the best drives I've had in that car since I owned it. It was from last year and it was the perfect fall day for a cruise. I headed out a local shop open house and left early to put some miles on the 283, knowing I was about to pull it over the winter. I had to take that shot, it was just one of those drives!

Any way back to the project at hand. What fuel pump and size line are you running?

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Looks great, and the splash shield is a nice touch too. Usually tunnel rams run so cool they wont get hot enough for oil to burn on them.
    I'm running Pertronix kits in both of my points distributors, and MSD 6al boxes too.

4. rustang

rustang

Looks great... if you have issues with the soup can, you could possibly use a Briggs/Tecumsah type muffler from a small engine as a basis?

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Geez they've gotten even cheaper with stickon tags! They used to rivet their name on all the Weber carbs they sold!
    I did the same to my old Holley Pro Dominator tunnel ram. It's still shiny, but they tend to darken up a bit, even with some occasional maintenance, unless you clear coat them. I kinda like them after they darken a bit.
    I had the same luck as you on heads! I started with stock heads, then put on a pair of Trick Flow Aluminums with angle plugs. I had set my engine back and deep in the rails, and didn't know the angle plug heads angled not only towards each other, but slightly down too! I tried the short Accel plugs, but still had to take the rotary file and notch the frame, and then weld in the notch to retain strength. Eventually I sold the aluminum heads and went back to old camel hump 2.02's rebuilt with SS valves and hardened seats. Now I've got good clearancee again.
    You can just see my front plug about 1" above the frame here:
    [​IMG]

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Seems it's always much easier to go over budget, than end up under! Something wrong with this whole system! ;)

7. farmer12

farmer12

"over budget" has become my middle name..... And I'm not close to finishing either. Ah well, it's only money and you can't take it with you! Love the build thread by the way!

8. Ha, reminds me of when I tried putting my distributor in for the first time. The firewall recess that I thought for sure was tall enough to get the dizzy in just wasn't anymore. I had to take the top half of my tunnel ram off to just get the damn thing in there. That also reminds me of the two rear passenger side tubes on my headers. You would think when a person is building this stuff it would stay the same from start to finish. I have to use a wrench on those two plugs because I can't fit the ratchet in there...lol

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yep, I set my 327 in, then built the firewall around it. Propped the distributor up in the hole so I could see how high up I needed clearance before building the firewall. It came uup so high I just decided to offset the whole center in to make sure it cleared.
    And when I had the angle plug heads on I took an old socket and chopped the last 1/2" off, then welded the piece to an old screwdriver so I'd have a wrench I could snake over the end of the plugs to get them in and out.

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I wish I had a better memory, as someone told me the Accel shorty plugs are made by another spark plug company, and it's just their standard plug length, and cheaper too. It was one of the import plugs like NGK or Bosch, but can't remember which one?

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thats not a bad idea. I miss my old '56 F100 and it'd be cool to have a tee shirt with my avatar on it. Hmmmm... how about avatar tee shirts printed up with the HAMB logo to help support some worthy cause? I've seen some pretty cool avatars on here, so maybe we can all generate some support, print some shirts with a few different avatars and help out a good cause. I'm in! What do y'all think?

12. steamer

steamer

I look forward to every thing that you do. Keep shakin' the money tree. My stuff comes from Beg, Borrow and Steel. I dig all the home built stuff, kinda like back in the day.

13. farmer12

farmer12

That engine looks right in place there, getting close firing it up I presume? Very nice work.

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Are you going to clear coat the valve covers once they're stripped and polished?

15. n847

n847

Looks rowdy!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I love the look, and having something look that good and be cheap really tickles me! I'm pretty thrifty on my car builds and love doing things that might take me a lot of labor, but save big money! I've got the Austin interior torn down right now doing the carpet and red window tint. I spent a whole afternoon hand sewing the seams for the carpet on the backside so I wouldn't have to pay the local upholstery guy to make them. Saved a couple hundred dollars, but I also got the enjoyment of saying I did it myself.
    THis is the trans hump after I stitched and sealed the seam on the bottom side:
    [​IMG]

17. n847

n847

You should get the letters pin striped in white or black! I had a buddy who stripped down a primo set of script VC's and had me stripe the letters in red to match his block and interior. Came out awesome! Looks good man!

18. I had no idea how I was going to get the gaskets to stay where I wanted during installation. Even before I enlarged the holes, they kind of "float" around. I wanted the intake runners to line up perfect with the gaskets. Well, the water ports need a thin coat of silicone and that's when I decided to make this a two day operation. I put bolts in "finger tight" to keep them lined up while the silicone dries. Silicone will go around the water ports on the heads before the final install. You can see how good the intake runners "line-up" and how far off the bolt holes are. :eek:

Attached Files:

19. rustang

rustang

Where did you get your tinted film for the red? I've been searching, and I know there was a guy on here at one time with colored tints, but now having no luck.....I'm looking for Orange... :)
    Tom

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

There's a guy on Fleabay selling it cheaper than anyone, and all sorts of colors too! He sells 20"x25' rolls for $20, plus $9 shipping, but he has his ad makred with "buy it now" or "make offer". I offered $15 and he took the offer, so total was $24 shipped. Here's his ad that runs all the time:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DECORATIVE-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a3850892&vxp=mtr

I bought the Medium Red he offers. The lighter red looked too pink.

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Good looking runner!
    Naw, I don't see the light, and don't want to! Once I see the light the end is near! I keep making little upgrades in my gasser so I can stay busy all winter, and just drive it all summer!

22. rustang

rustang

Thanks much for the tinting link...I'll have to check it out this weekend!
    Tom

23. eye mechanic

eye mechanic

[​IMG]
    Rockin' build, thought I would draw it up
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Holy cow! That is so cool! You sir are very talented!

25. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Damn eye mechanic that is one cool looking drawing!

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've always thought 1937 was probably the best year ever for US automakers. I don't think they made an ugly '37 in any of the big automakers.

27. n847

n847

Thats pretty cool!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app & smoke signals!

28. rustang

rustang

Great drawing eye mechanic! You got some skills!
    Tom

29. eye mechanic

eye mechanic

you guys are all awsome, I just dream with my pecil....

30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Well your dreams sure look better than mine! ;)