Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. 65COMET

65COMET

Dave;that is great,putting your Grandson in the car!! Keeping the Comet fever alive,"ONLY" a 467",KOOL!!!!! ROY.

2. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

So,who did the modifications? Whose Comet was this?

3. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Steve;
    The body modifications were done at Randy De Lisio's Performance, Lions, New York, he is the best in the business on Comets and Thunderbolts if you want it done like the Original. If that Comet was one of the Original 22 I wouldn't be putting a Roll Cage and Racing it. ~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~

4. Merritt

Merritt

Clearspot, those are awsome pictiures of Daves awsome garage. WOW!

5. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;they have been searching on here too! ROY.

7. Jerod Jardine

Jerod Jardine
    from wyoming

Call me 307 234 6499.
    Thanks
    Jerod Jardine

8. 65COMET

65COMET

Heading up to Famoso for the CHRR early,Thursday[6AM]! I have the new shift arms on,the Comet is tuned up,truck is ready!! I got a call from Mercury Junky[Ken],his Comet[Sox and Martin tribute]is broken,so he and Eric[SOHC427] are driving out to hang out and watch some racing! Bang Shift is doing their Live Feed again this year! I hope the weather cools down by race time!!! ROY.

9. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Roy,good luck & have a blast! Will look out for you on Bangshift...
    Myron_

10. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

11. SOHC427

SOHC427

Roy, Look forward to seeing the gang, in CA.
    Eric

12. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

dont know if its been posted up on here before, but found this on another site, and wonder if anyones been here.

george

Attached Files:

13. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Sorry to hear Ken's car is broken. I was looking forward to seeing it run. Still, I'll be happy to meet the Colorado gang. Roy, 6am CA time Thursday, I'll have already been in the air for 3 hrs headed your way. See you guys Friday at the track.....Mike

14. 65COMET

65COMET

George;I had not been there but have dealt with them over the phone,great people! I had heard rumors of the auction,looks like they were true! They dealt with big Mercury Cars,didn't have Comet parts. ROY.

15. Christian Bros Racing

Christian Bros Racing

16. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Some Comets at CHRR 2012 direct from BangShift gallery.None of Roy pictured yet.
    That is a BADASS '66 wagon!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

I found some run sheets posted and it looks like Roy must be having some problems? He is about a full second slow from his normal et's. When came to my place in Olympia Wa. and then took both of our Comets to Canada to Mega Ford only to have his shift arm break. He did match his best et of 10.33 but Sunday morning when the shift lever broke he would have had a new best. I hope he is not having more bad luck? Brian

18. 65COMET

65COMET

Brian;and anyone else who cares,my Comet was having fuel system troubles on the first qualifier,thought they were fixed,missed #2 qualifier while working on the Comet,#3 clutch was,or something else,was acting up.Went into the burnout box,started spinning,then the tires stopped spinning,then started spinning again!!Staged the Comet,let out the clutch and the car didn't move,then all of a sudden it launched but was down to 3 psi of fuel pressure,so called it a weekend!! ROY.

19. Rick Beil

Rick Beil

Don't have any pix but there was a 64 Comet Callantie that ran at Carlsbad back in the mid 60's. The car was red and was sponsored by Priestly's calle Priestlies Heavenly Comet driven by Arkie Spoon. Best guess at the spelling of Arkie. Car had 8 webers, 289, fiberglass front end, plastic bumpers and I believe plexi glass windows. Man what a machine. And I'm not a ford guy. The comet use to run a full size ford with the 427 and dual quads with the bubble hood in time trials. I believe the full size car was from the car club that teched the cars at the track and was called "Strip Teaser". Both cars were dead even till about the 1000 ft mark then the big cubes on the big ford pulled about a half a car at the finish. Neat races to watch.
    Thank the US Navy for sending me to So Calif in 1964. What a blast.

20. Muttley

Muttley

I've never seen that version but here's a few pictures of their '65:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Merritt

Merritt

<ST1:p</ST1:pRoy, sorry to hear you had issues at the CHRR, it’s tough to travel that far only to have problems.
    <O:p</O:p

Had our last race at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]Cecil</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">County</st1:placeName></ST1:place>, the fall weather was better than it seemed the Comet went 10.63, 125, didn’t expected it to go that quick, I also had a 1.48, 60 foot. The Total Control Products A-arms and coil over shocks and the Wilwood brakes were worth almost 2 tenths, not just from weight reduction but it allowed the suspension to work better.

The Comet has worked well all year, the driver not so much, but have
    had a lot of fun.

Will probably have withdrawal within a couple weeks.<O:p</O:p

22. ec164

ec164
    from MI

I felt for you Sat.morning Roy, must of been #3 run? Knew you had problems, the car didnt sound crisp. Glad it was nothing major, although takes the fun out of it.....Al

23. 65COMET

65COMET

Merritt;your Comet sounds like it was running GREAT!!Luckily it was only a three hour drive,not three days like Canada!!!! Al;yes,it sucks,but in the light of all the health issues some of my family and friends went through this year,it was no big thing!!!My fuel system is antiquated,will freshen it up,then figure out what the heck the clutch was doing!!The March Meet will be here before I know it!!! ROY.

24. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;great pictures! Once again I was in your backyard and didn't see you!! Still no work?Maybe you can make it down for the March Meet. ROY.

25. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

26. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Had a Blast Hanging out at CHHR with Roy And the guys. Wish I had my Comet out there, Had to break at the worst time. Putting together a Photo album so all can see. You tube Videos on the way also.

The Celebration for Earl Wade couldve been Better. Sure Miss Hanging out with him, Could listen to his stories all night.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Final six Cars in A/FX were all Fords with two 67 Fairlanes in the Final. Spent the Weekend Crewing for Dale Schroeder and his 64 Thunderbolt out of Colo. Dale made it to the final three. Good Job Dale.

Got to Hang out with some fellow HAMBers Including MD1320 from the Falcon Page. Never seem to have enough Time.

Now to Get My Car fixed and not miis it next year.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  27. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Bought Some Older Drag Racing Mags out at CHHR and Found this pic in one of them.

Met Ed Terry Out there signing autographs what a great guy.

[​IMG]

28. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

I had a wonderful weekend at CHRR. Roy, it was great to finally meet you and hang out. I hope the clutch problem is not too serious. Ken & Eric, it was a pleasure meeting the Colorado gang and I'm looking forward to seeing you & Eddie at NHRR 2013 in Bowling Green. Dale, I was disapointed that I missed meeting you on Friday. Perhaps the next time I venture west.....Mike

29. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike,Ken and Eric;was great to hang out with you guys,no offense,but I would rather have been racing!!!!It was great to see Dale back out and racing again,great guy!!The only two Comets[Todd's and mine] in A/FX were both sidelined with minor issues!There were two others running exhibition,a 64 and a 65,both straight axle cars,never got a chance to see them run or talk to the owners.Rocketman,I have an unopened jug of shine courtesy of Eric!!! ROY.

30. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

This guy looks suspicious

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]