Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 10-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #21
Unclee

Default Re: New garage

Even our windstorm codes can't compare with siesmic codes!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #22
Adriatic Machine
Grenade Inspector

Yep Shiny, $500 for the survey (which was cheap!), $1,600 for the variance & hearing (to petition the town to build bigger & taller than they allow) and $1,000 for the architect plus actual permit fees. The garage will be just a bit smaller than the house and about as tall.

Yes big creep, the hold downs are in the foundation walls which were poured today. I'll post pics as I can.

I bought this house to be close to my kids and I like the area... regular Americans live here. If it weren't for that I would have bought something with a garage already done in a different area.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #23
Black Primer

Wow, things sure are different on your end of the country. When I built two years ago, my permit was $75. I gave the town the basic dimensions, and I was good to go.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #24
manyolcars
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic Machine View Post
Yep Shiny, $500 for the survey (which was cheap!), $1,600 for the variance & hearing (to petition the town to build bigger & taller than they allow)
Variances are proof that zoning laws are just a way to get your money
Old 10-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #25
spiders web

Colorado is a huge pain in the ass for doing much of anything. When I built mine they made me relocate on the lot twice. Should of went bigger but I'll muddle through with what I ended up with.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #26
Ebbsspeed
Alliance Member

Default New Garage

Nothing more exciting than a new garage/shop, especially if you've been working in a cramped space, or out in the driveway. Enjoy it!

Quote:
..... Actually this is exactly what I need, shelter a few cars with space to work. Hoarding junk is bad for me, just sayin......
A "few" cars might work initially, but trust me, the space shrinks, especially if you're a self-proclaimed junk hoarder. By the time you get a workbench built, all the tools, shelves, cabinets, air compressor, welder, and hoarded junk in place, you'll be down to having space for two cars if you're lucky. I won't tell you how I know this, chances are if you simply make an assumption you'll be correct.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #27
ConceptVehicleDesign

Quote:
Yep Shiny, $500 for the survey (which was cheap!), $1,600 for the variance & hearing (to petition the town to build bigger & taller than they allow) and $1,000 for the architect plus actual permit fees. The garage will be just a bit smaller than the house and about as tall.
Holy crap!

Where I live, if it is not a residential structure, no permit needed at all!

Old 10-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #28
NAT WILLIAMS
FNG

built mine myself and spent about $3000.00 but I would love to have what you are doing because it will be an oasis for life.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #29
VoodooTwin
Old School HAMBer

Build the ceilings tall enough so you can use a 4-post lift. They turn a 2-car garage into a 4-car garage for cheap!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #30
DamnYankeesKustoms
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjps View Post
consider putting PEX tubing in your floor, even if you cant afford the system now, the tubing is in for later on. floor heat is very nice when working on cars. I regret not taking the time to do it.

I see why you needed all the approvals, the ground around there is crap, is that really all sand ?

Yes.... VERY good idea..... Before I moved out of NY my boss put up a new garage with the in floor water heater system..... if I was building a garage in a colder climate I would def install the water heater system.....
Old 10-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #31
weldtoride
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Yep Shiny, $500 for the survey (which was cheap!), $1,600 for the variance & hearing (to petition the town to build bigger & taller than they allow)
Ouch! tough fees. Looks like a great start, keep up the good work. Agree on the pex in the floor, used boilers show up reasonably when you start asking around. Just don't let on to the county you are planning heat.

Had a much lesser fee here, but a totally crazy time at the zoning office, wrong guy was up when my turn came, it seems.

Built mine with walls higher than norm and a steep roof pitch, came in just barely under the code height....

Loft went in after the final inspection. Good place to store stuff I thought I wanted at the time. In retrospect....

I have often head "no matter how big you build, it will be too small too soon."
Old 10-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #32
bobss396
Old School HAMBer

Quote:

Yeah Bob!!! I got a buddy in Babylon Village, that was probably me.

Thanks
It was a drizzly Friday early evening on Deer Park Ave .... if your window had been open I was gonna say "nice el camino"....

Bob
Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #33
gunswanted

3200 not bad I'm over 4k for the required variance requirements and it's not even approved yet.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #34
leadfootloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYankeesKustoms View Post
Yes.... VERY good idea..... Before I moved out of NY my boss put up a new garage with the in floor water heater system..... if I was building a garage in a colder climate I would def install the water heater system.....
If you go with the in floor heat you must know that you must put down 4" foam first. And if you are going to put in a hoist you should pore footings. Just my 2 cents been in construction for most of my life.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #35
302aod
Grenade Inspector

Like outlaw256 I live in the Country and we have no fees. Don't even need a permit. Another reason to not live in the city.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #36
SAM123

Come to California if you want to waste money on building ... and that is if you dont have to cut down a tree or your neighbor doesnt protest!

... good to see somebody living a dream!!
Old 10-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #37
Ebbsspeed
Alliance Member

I put radiant floor heat in my shop, and instead of a purpose built boiler, I just installed a second 40-gallon gas water heater in the basement of the house, specifically for the shop heat. My shop is adjacent to the house, so it was not big deal to get the heated water from the house to the shop, plus I don't have a flame in the shop. Old cars sometimes tend to leak things, and if that leak is gasoline, the vapors hug the floor, which is normally where the water heater pilot and burner are.
Leak, vaporize, ignite, BOOM!!!.

Not a possibility I wanted to deal with.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #38
Spork!
Grenade Inspector

I have an acre of land here in So Cal. I want to build a 40 X 60 with no variances required. $3500 for permit! Sh!t, they want $850 for a permit to put up a garden shed! The frigging permit costs more than the shed!

Just another government money grab so you build something on your own frigging land.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:28 AM   #39
Racer29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302aod View Post
Like outlaw256 I live in the Country and we have no fees. Don't even need a permit. Another reason to not live in the city.
This is one thing I miss about TN where I was born and raised. An earlier post stated CO being a pain to build and that sure is true. I'm working in a 1-car garage. Well that's where my tools are anyway. Most of the time I work in the driveway but the weather is usually nice enough to do so.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #40
57Custom300

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc sparks View Post
it wont be big enough in a few months. Jc
x2!!!!