Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 10-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Captain Neckbeard

Default '41 Business Coupe

This is my first post here, so please bear with me

I picked up a '41 Plymouth business coupe a couple weeks ago. The body is pristine. There was no rust on it besides a little topical rust on the trunk pan. The interior is really nice as well except for the carpet and door panels were removed prior to my purchasing it. All the glass is good as is all of the chrome trim. The front suspension is IFS in these old Plymouths, but it was totally rebuilt with 0 miles on it. The Guy I had purchased it from had also just put disc brakes on the front and converted it to a 5 bolt Chevy pattern.

It came with the original rear end still in it, but also came with a 10 bolt rear end with disk brakes out of an '80s firebird.

As far as extras, it came with 2 chevy motors. One was a 1967 327 out of an Impala and the other was a late 70s 305. It also came with a Flaming River steering column.

Now I paid $1,200 for all that.

I also picked up a fresh TH350 and headers to go in it. And I have completely disassembled the 327 to rebuild it.

My plans are to build a 302 Like in the first Gen. Z28s by taking the freshened 327 block, putting a forged 283 crank in it along with a set of double camel hump heads I have off of a '69 Z28 or power packs of the '67 block, roller rockers, hydraulic lifters and a Pro Comp cam.

My question is what would be the ideal lift cam? I've been told everything from .450" to .500"+. I'm looking for low end power with a throaty sound.

Also, would an Edelbrock Performer dual plane intake with a Holley 750 be a better set up to run than an Edelbrock Tunnel Ram with 2 Edelbrock 600s or 2 Holley 450s?

Also, I still haven't decided what to do from the headers back.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Edit: The first three pictures are as I found it. Apparently the car hasnt been driven since 1969 or 1970.

Last edited by Captain Neckbeard; 10-08-2012 at 01:28 PM.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
BOBCRMAN

Default Re: '41 Business Coupe

I have a similar 47Dodge business coupe..The one with three windows and the Looong trunk. 406 sbc 400 turbo.

If you are primarily street driving this and want the sound. Something like a "Thumper" cam. Keep the intake duration under 228 @ .050. This will ensure good power brake and auto trans function.

For driveability use the single four intake. Preferably a dual plane. Vac secondary carb..Unless you have a 4.10 gear in the rear and enjoy the stop light drags. Then by all means use the tunnel ram and 450's. When I was a bit younger in the sixties and seventies. I used to run a tunnel ram BBC gasser on the street. Gathered an impressive array of citations. A bit wiser now..
Old 10-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Captain Neckbeard

The rear end I'm running is only a 3.73, but I am looking to just build a cruiser, red light to red light rod.

I've always liked the look of tunnel rams, but I'm concerned with running into vacuum issues. Also, if I run a tunnel ram, will I have to step up my stall converter? Right now I have a 2500, but I've heard of guys having to run 3500 converters with their tunnel ram set ups.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-07-2012, 03:09 AM   #4
daliant

A tunnel rammed 302 would look pretty damn impressive under the hood but that would be more of a high rpm setup, a small single carb w/dual plane manifold would be definately more practical on the street. So I recomend that you build a 9000+ rpm tunnel rammed 302 w/jerico 4 spd behind it, throw a dana 60 under the back with 5.13 gears in it, pie crust slicks, ladder bars, open fenderwell headers etc.. and drive it like you hate it.
got any pics of this little gem?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:06 AM   #5
Captain Neckbeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliant View Post
A tunnel rammed 302 would look pretty damn impressive under the hood but that would be more of a high rpm setup, a small single carb w/dual plane manifold would be definately more practical on the street. So I recomend that you build a 9000+ rpm tunnel rammed 302 w/jerico 4 spd behind it, throw a dana 60 under the back with 5.13 gears in it, pie crust slicks, ladder bars, open fenderwell headers etc.. and drive it like you hate it.
got any pics of this little gem?
Pics are up!

I'm not too worried about practicality, but budget is definitely a factor

I'm already planning on putting 4:10 Posi gears in it. I also have access to a set of 600 cfm Edelbrock carbs to top the tunnel ram with.

Here's another dilema I'm facing...
I have a set of 186 double camel hump 2.02 heads off of a '69 Z28, but I also have the Power Pack heads that originally came on the '67 327 block that I'm using. Both are in great shape.

Which would be the better set of heads to use?

Also, besides a roller lifter/cam/rocker set what can I do to make it a 9000+ rpm build?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
farmer12
Alliance Member

Great to see another Plymouth coupe being built. Watching this one for sure! Welcome to the club.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
honeyman
Grenade Inspector

What a great platform to start off with...and a pretty inpressive pile of parts to work with as well. Love where you're going with this. May need to look at fender well headers due to steering box issues.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Captain Neckbeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyman View Post
What a great platform to start off with...and a pretty inpressive pile of parts to work with as well. Love where you're going with this. May need to look at fender well headers due to steering box issues.
Thanks! I forgot to mention that I picked up an EZ wire GM wiring harness for it as well.

As far as headers go, I have 2 sets of Headman headers for it. One is a block hugger set, so hopefully one of them will work. If not, I'll just weld up my own set.

My plan for this week is to have the motor mounts welded up so I can throw one of my spare SBCs and tranny in it. I had to cut the spring perches off the 10 bolt rear end because they were 3" too narrow and I want to throw the spare motor and tranny in it so that I can line the driveline up. I was just going to weld the new spring perches on and eyeball it, but the idea of getting the angle of the driveshaft wrong just worries me.

I guess it's better to take it slow and do it right the first time.

I do need tire suggestions as well. I was going to go with the Coker Classic Nostalgia Blackwalls in 650 16, but trying to find 2 16" steelies in the 5x4.75 bolt pattern is proving to be pretty tough. Looks like I may need to just stick to 15"s all around.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
Captain Neckbeard

So yesterday I got the front end and fenders stripped, sanded, dents hammered out and primed. Now I need to finish the body and deck lid today and tomorrow.

Next I need to come up with an effective way to drop just the front end 2" while I have the front end off. Any ideas besides drop spindles would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
Captain Neckbeard

A couple of pics I just took. Just finished the second coat of primer and undercoated the fire well and rear fender wells. just waiting for it to cure, then wet sand, dry time and she's ready to paint!!

Old 10-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
Scotch Buzzard King

Those headlights are bad ass.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
38fordpickup
Old School HAMBer

No advice here, just a comment--you must be living right to find a bargain like that. Your Plymouth would have been a great deal if you'd paid 2x what you did. You are way ahead of the game starting with one that solid. Always liked the front end styling on a '41 Plymouth.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #13
Bmac40Ply
FNG

I have a 40' Plymouth, and I read if you cut one coil off the front springs that should lower you 2 to 3 inches in the front and it will actually make the ride a little better. I haven't done it yet, but plan to soon.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
Captain Neckbeard

Thanks guys. I just happened to place a WTB ad on a local firearm forum and another member contacted me and the rest is history.

I may just try cutting a coil as I happen to have an extra set.

Thanks guys!!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #15
Bmac40Ply
FNG

If you do cut a coil, post a pic of how it turns out.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
hkestes
Alliance Member

I cut 1.25 coils off the springs on my 48 Plymouth coupe and it dropped it about 1.5 to 2 inches. The springs on the old Mopars are easy to remove / install so sneak up on it don't try cutting it all off at once.

Another option is to grind off the rivets that hold the plate containg the lower spring mount to thetop of the bottom A arm. Flip the plate to the bottom of the A Arm and weld it back on. Lowers the front end without changing the spring rate or ride characteristics.

With either of these methods do yourself a favor and relocate the top shock mount to the frame rather than the upper A arm while you have your front end apart. Take a look at this thread for a how to. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...th+shock+mount

Finally my suggestion would be to sell all the Chebbie stuff and buy a good 360 / 727 but that is just me.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #17
Captain Neckbeard

I am considering adding louvers to the hood. I haven't seen a '41 with them though. What do you guys think?

Also, this car came with ALL of the chrome and SS trim. I've decided I'm going to put almost all of it back on except for the bumpers and the trunk handle/center brake light. The body is getting Satin British Racing Green, which is almost black and then solid white, '50s-esque fat flames.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #18
Royalshifter

Cool man use all the trim....those cars had beautiful brightwork?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #19
roachba
FNG

I love the 40s business coupes I just got a 48 chevy business coupe a week ago and have been getting ready to start on it.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #20
Bugsy

Hands down, one of the sexiest, Deco rides ever built!! Have fun with it!!!!!!!!!!!!

The "Dust Bowl Spl."