Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 10-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #21
grf-x
Grenade Inspector

Default Re: question to my painters "Painting flake"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfEvil333 View Post
I have the ol schoolflake flake buster, when used correctly you end up with a very good job, it has serious advantages over the traditional in clear method. If you buy the gun get the dvd as well, You can also YouTube search "flake buster" and will get some good videos too. With the flake buster you can actually apply flake that is up to 1/8" !!!! I have used .025 flake on many projects and it always turns out great. you actually end up with less waste and less mess if done correctly too. The air pressure used is almost non existent so the flake control is really good.

Here's an example of some junk I did with it a while back, this is .025" Kustom shop flake

Totally diggin' the flake size and color on this.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #22
grf-x
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Bulldog View Post
sup guys n gurls, alright here's my question see if y'all can answer or give opinions, ive always used a modified devillbliss gun, but its starting to fail, and i hear that the "flake buster" wastes flake and lays the flake dry on wet paint, in reality for that i might as well just put the flake in my hand and trow it on the damn car, so here's my point, i wanna buy a new gun just for flake, so any opinions?? i buy all my shit from lil'daddy roth even my pinstripe enamel, is there new flake bomber worth it? or is there anything else out there better, give me a hollar y'all!
Unless you have one hell of an arm, perfect aim and perfect timing... (five knuckle shuffling doesn't count) Throwing flake at a car will get you know where near a flake buster I have used the flake buster and the mini flake buster and I am happy with what it can do for me. Bare in mind, I don't have a pro paint shop.

There are work arounds for gathering the unused flake for reuse. But again... I don't have a huge paint booth the keep up.

Practice with a flake buster and you might find yourself happy with it.

But I think YOU are going to be happier with a wet application using a gun with a large opening.

Best of luck.

And no one gets off lucky here. Everything is open game for fun poking, slamming and ridicule. Most of us are old school or young with old school heart hot rodders. Ask your questions and brace yourself. Good luck with the flake.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #23
Frankie Bulldog
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfEvil333 View Post
I have the ol schoolflake flake buster, when used correctly you end up with a very good job, it has serious advantages over the traditional in clear method. If you buy the gun get the dvd as well, You can also YouTube search "flake buster" and will get some good videos too. With the flake buster you can actually apply flake that is up to 1/8" !!!! I have used .025 flake on many projects and it always turns out great. you actually end up with less waste and less mess if done correctly too. The air pressure used is almost non existent so the flake control is really good.

Here's an example of some junk I did with it a while back, this is .025" Kustom shop flake

looks good, i herd the flake buster waste flake at times, like it pours out, is that true?
graffiti and pinstriping supply
www.illbredunderground.com
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #24
Frankie Bulldog
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by grf-x View Post
Unless you have one hell of an arm, perfect aim and perfect timing... (five knuckle shuffling doesn't count) Throwing flake at a car will get you know where near a flake buster I have used the flake buster and the mini flake buster and I am happy with what it can do for me. Bare in mind, I don't have a pro paint shop.

There are work arounds for gathering the unused flake for reuse. But again... I don't have a huge paint booth the keep up.

Practice with a flake buster and you might find yourself happy with it.

But I think YOU are going to be happier with a wet application using a gun with a large opening.

Best of luck.

And no one gets off lucky here. Everything is open game for fun poking, slamming and ridicule. Most of us are old school or young with old school heart hot rodders. Ask your questions and brace yourself. Good luck with the flake.
thanks
Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #25
austinhunt

Hey, you have to remember that you're talking to a bunch of crusty hot rodders that are stuck in thier ways.... and the young guys that are trying to keep that way of life going. You ask for an opinion here and you'll get it!

Hairy eyeballs aside... my vote is wet (we all like that) and through an old siphon gun. An HVLP with a hogged out tip will not atomize the paint well. A higher pressure gun will be the ticket.

Mind you, I'm not a painter.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #26
wallyringo

Quote:
sup guys n gurls, alright here's my question see if y'all can answer or give opinions, ive always used a modified devillbliss gun, but its starting to fail, and i hear that the "flake buster" wastes flake and lays the flake dry on wet paint, in reality for that i might as well just put the flake in my hand and trow it on the damn car, so here's my point, i wanna buy a new gun just for flake, so any opinions?? i buy all my shit from lil'daddy roth even my pinstripe enamel, is there new flake bomber worth it? or is there anything else out there better, give me a hollar y'all!
so ive never tried this how is it done? you have two guns one to shot your paint than switch to the flake buster? and repeat a few times? it does sound pretty messy but when it comes to body work or painting when is it not?
Old 10-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #27
gerry miller
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
lmfao!
LMAO Too!
New Name for flake paint jobs STRIPPER GLITTER

When I painted Metal flake years ago I used my Binks Model 7
Old 10-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #28
HalfEvil333
FNG

as you can see in the picture I posted of the orange flake, There isn't a lot on the floor of the booth, granted, I'm spraying in a top of the line fancy schmancy paint booth. The air pressure I use with the flake buster is around 10-15psi. Next to nothing. Spray a panel with the slowest clearcoat possible, dust the flake on with the flake buster, you aren't using pressure to force the flake onto the panel, it will just sort of snow fall onto the panel. Here is a huge advantage to the flake buster, once you have sprayed the flake, let the clear flash, you can actually at this point go around and pick out the flake that stands up with tweezers, you can also use your hands to smooth the flake and lay it down. You use way way way way less clearcoat doing flake this way. It works best for small jobs. flaking a whole car, the in clear method is still probably best for even coverage. Getting even coverage with the flake buster is actually easier than you would think. If the panel is wetted out the flake will only stick to the wet clear, once the flake is covered, the clear won't take more and the flake will just bounce off.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #29
ParkinsonSpeed

Ive shot some heavy flake with a (not sure of brand) primer only gun with a agitator cup. Came out pretty good for a scooter frame but not sure about flat panels.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:39 AM   #30
The Rabid Whippet

Quote:
you know i find it very ignorant for you guys to make fun of me because i wrote in ebonics which in all honesty was only one word used maybe more than once through out my whole statement, sorry i'm not a literature scholar or a pro in forum writing like you guys, i thought this was a place to ask for opinions and help, not a place to get made fun of on the way i wrote my responses, grow up
See you can do it. This whole sentence sounded way better than all the others except the "grow up" part. This seemed to be the part that you needed to do, not us. The sentenses that you wrote sounded and read like a 2nd grader. This last sentence was 100% better and I don't think anyone would have corrected you on the little issues like using i instead of I. This is just a minor thing that most all of us will ignore. Thanks for cleaning up your spelling so that you now sound intelligent.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #31
burnout2614

Halfevil333 have you ever been to Sturgis? If so we may have met once. I know a LOT of painters and most of em use the same procedures as you. peace
Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #32
theHIGHLANDER
Old School HAMBer

Frankie B, the writing/lingo was on the borderline of reading old Roth quotes and old "Cartoons" mags. FWIW I got it right away, and keep it up in spite of the resident English majors.

Those flake guns look like a mini "Shutz" gun, the same thing we shoot inner panel sealers and undercoats with. I always wanted to try to cut one down for flake, but frankly I hate the shit. It's ok for panels, accents, helmets (!), but when I see a whole car done it just reminds me of a bass boat or a dune buggy. To that end I never had the opportunity or urge to try it, but one fan of the stuff said it works good with a shutz gun. Dat's all I got daddy-o...
Old 10-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #33
HalfEvil333
FNG

I have never been to Sturgis, though a few of my paint jobs have been. someday I will find time to make it down.

the flake buster is very very similar to a shutz gun wth a few little tricks up it's sleeve, it doesn't suck the flake out, rather it forces air into the cup and out holes in the lid of the gun, which "fluffs" the flake (fluffing stripper glitter just sounds wrong) and blows it around in the cup, then it draws the flake out the nozzle. Very well designed and works extremely well for the "huge" flakes
Old 10-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #34
afaulk

You will notice Frankie that you did get a lot more good responses than bad. There is a world of experience on this site but like someone said, also a lot of crusty old bastards. I'd wager not many give a shit about ebonics, but will help in any way they can. Enjoy the good, try to overlook the insults, nobody gets off free here, chuckles.....
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #35
Frankie Bulldog
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by afaulk View Post
You will notice Frankie that you did get a lot more good responses than bad. There is a world of experience on this site but like someone said, also a lot of crusty old bastards. I'd wager not many give a shit about ebonics, but will help in any way they can. Enjoy the good, try to overlook the insults, nobody gets off free here, chuckles.....
good looking out, i know alot of amazing people on here, some are just jack asses, but some times i can get a lil agravated by them "medication", but i love this site and the good peoples that give me amazing advice through out the years, all i realy give a shit about is being better at what i do and receiving the advice from more experience katz make me happy and motivated.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #36
alfredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Mopar View Post
It's called "divorce dust"...
Hahahahaha. I am gonna re-use this, I hope thats ok. LOL!